Review of Letters of Forgiveness

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Mercy Udeokeke
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mercy-udeokeke.html
Latest Review: Mothers Vol. 1 by Ben Burgess Jr.

Review of Letters of Forgiveness

Post by Mercy Udeokeke »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Letters of Forgiveness" by Cathy Schaffer.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Sometimes in life, we go through a rough time, and we are left with feelings of anger and resentment due to our circumstances. Consequently, we end up ascribing this anger and frustration to people not because we hate them but because somehow we want to fathom our state of condition at that moment and some part of us wants to blame something or other people.

Katy, a second lieutenant, was selected to join the CST, a team that was sent to Afghanistan to speak to women who were affected by the battles raging on. In the camp, Katy fell in love with a man named Jack Foster. A man who is willing to sacrifice himself to protect his teammates. The night she was supposed to carry out her major assignment turned out to be the night she lost almost everything, including a part of herself. But amid all the anger and resentment she felt, she took solace in Dimitri and Elena. She met them at the rehabilitation facility she was sent to against her will. These two people helped her in her journey of recovery, but she later found out about something that left her reeling. Katy is an ambitious woman with an unyielding determination to be a hero. Little did she know, the opportunity would present itself in a way she never imagined.

Letters of Forgiveness by Cathy Schaffer is the vast, gratifying story of a remarkable relationship between three people. The story begins when the plot is at its thickest, with Katy losing the people she loves due to an attack. The story then jumps back to when Katy had to train before she was selected to join the CST. The descriptions of the setting are as extensive and extreme as the conditions of these characters' worlds. Some of the most captivating moments for me focused on Dimitri Victorvich Demidova's memories of his native country. The terror in Russia at that time proves that dictatorship and a lack of freedom of speech can enslave people and infringe on their rights. Dimitri’s sacrificial love for Elena helped her navigate some of the challenges she faced. This fascinating story opens our hearts to believe in love and perseverance during difficult times.

My favorite character is Andrei. I admire the way he was always there for Elena, and his affection for her was apparent. He supported her all through the trauma she faced until the end of the book. He has proven that love is indeed patient.

Nothing about the book disappointed me. The ending is thoroughly satisfying, and the three main characters are all flawed yet understandable; their motivations, desires, and mistakes are well-explained and relatable. As a result, I rate the book five out of five stars.

The book was edited to perfection. There were no mistakes that I found. The scenes in the book are very relatable. It explains some traumas we all face in life. We must strive to come out of such traumas and never allow depression to cower us in our shells. Katy has proven to me that healing from any traumatic experience is indeed possible. I recommend this book to readers who enjoy historical fiction.

Letters of Forgiveness
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Flogg
Currently Reading: Snatched Up to Heaven for Kids
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Flogg »

Sometimes we need to express all the feelings inside us, so they turn into incomprehensible behavior sometimes. On the other hand, all means of apology sometimes come too late, and you face it with rejection.
bachir morad
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by bachir morad »

Cathy Schaffer has always been a writer. She tells the story of how she still has her sixth-grade notebook where she wrote down observations about her teacher and classmates. She is an avid journalist and has journals that are more than twenty years old. “Journaling is like writing a letter to your best friend”.

She was fortunate enough to graduate from Baylor College of Medicine in Houston, Tx and became a Physician Assistant. Her first job as a PA was working with women who were HIV positive. She eventually went into critical care where she has spent most of her thirty year career.

She has researched trauma extensively in order to understand how it affects the brain and the therapies that can help. She is an advocate for those suffering with mental health issues and is the program coordinator for the opioid use disorder project at Lee Health in Fort Myers Fl.

She credits ballroom dancing for helping her discover her self-confidence and balance in her life. “Ballroom dancing is a form of meditation that allows you to get in touch with your body and to focus your brain on the moment.” She is a National award-winning competitive ballroom dancer who has danced in competitions across the country.

She lives in Fort Myers, Florida with her rescue toy poodle, Sadie and continues to work full-time as a physician assistant. But she still finds time to practice her passions; dancing and writing.
petozkid1221
Currently Reading: Ragtime Dawn
Bookshelf Size: 19

Post by petozkid1221 »

Wow an amazing book it's gonna be can't wait to read it really felt my blood boiling with excitement by reading it summary.
Ivana_5
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Ivana_5 »

Love an war, is always good story. Power of love always win bed times. History say love story on Russian difficul time, ther love is only motivation and reason to leave. :techie-studyinggray:
Jude Michael Uchechukwu
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12

Post by Jude Michael Uchechukwu »

Transfer of aggression can be really bad, most times we need to keep calm in some situation and let go, I was a victim of that... One thing I love about this book is that fact that it tells us, it's never to late to apologize. And forgiveness is the key ingredient to peace.
Fester John
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fester-john.html
Latest Review: Making Life-Changing Decisions by Victor Chukwu

Post by Fester John »

This review has a very nice simple words that keeps your flow on point.i recommend it

Return to “Historical Fiction”