Review of The Red Road

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Medina Fedrick
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-medina-fedrick.html
Latest Review: Across the Kentucky Color Line by Lee Durham Stone

Review of The Red Road

Post by Medina Fedrick »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Red Road" by J.E. McCarthy.]
Book Cover
4 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

On his walk home from work on a rainy night, having only two matchsticks, he attempted to light his lantern to enable his vision on the dark path home. After the attempt, he says a prayer, and the match lights up. Relieved, he offers another prayer for a cab going his way to approach him with help. On hearing the sound of a truck's approach, he feels relieved that his prayers have been answered yet again, but the truck drives past him, splashing the dirt on him with the sounds of japery from the driver. He realizes immediately who it is—Hubert Moreland, the rich kid who didn't grow weary of taunting his family. But that is not the end of it, as a truck approaches again from behind him with a stick, which strikes Jim with a force that takes his life. Jim McGinn, one of the youngest of the twelve McGinn children, was considered to have no enemies, and his death was a surprise to everyone. The McGinns are set to discover the truth behind Jim's death and get justice. Follow the McGinns as they unravel the perpetrator of their brother's death in The Red Road: Book One of the McGinn Family Saga by J.E. McCarthy.

I did appreciate the book's smart, perceptive, and captivating plot. The story was told in a way that made the characters come to life, with clear, vivid details that held the reader's attention until the very end. I appreciate how the author mixed humor with just the right amount of suspense. This book's gradual narration pace was another appealing aspect. This book's pace was just right—it wasn't too fast or too slow—making the sentences flow naturally and making it simple to turn the pages.

There isn't a single thing I disliked about this book, and it even contains a really powerful message for parents. Sometimes we want to give our kids everything they ask for and the best, but we forget what is best for them in the long run. The fact that one has an only child is not a reason to indulge that child; rather, it should be a reason to discipline that child because if we lose that child, we lose everything. One can lose a child to bad habits, which divert their focus from doing what is right and make them care less about the repercussions of their actions. Losing a child does not always mean that they have passed away.

I spotted a few errors while reading and would suggest another round of editing. I rate this book four out of five stars because of the number of errors I found in it, but I would gladly give it a perfect five-star rating if these errors were corrected because it deserves it.

Fans of historical fiction, family drama, and crime thrillers would enjoy this novel.

The Red Road
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Ivana_5
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Ivana_5 »

Fire for children is the biggest on the world. This fany and crimy story descriptions relationship between parents and children. Parents work everything for children. Everything they thinking to right for his child. On story have a homor and sead. This story is drama all families of the world. You must read a book, because in this drama you uderstending important of family.

Return to “Historical Fiction”