Review of Shadow Children of Saigon

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Amanda Warner
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amanda-warner.html
Latest Review: The Magic of Gluten-Free Cooking by Julia Matto

Review of Shadow Children of Saigon

Post by Amanda Warner »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Shadow Children of Saigon" by Robert Fulton.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Robert Fulton, in his book Shadow Children of Saigon, discusses the lives of the children who struggled to survive in Vietnam during the Vietnam War. His story centers on Lahn, Mien, and Di.U. These children were mostly of mixed races and, as such, were despised by the Vietnamese. They were not identified as Vietnamese because of this, and that made the Vietnamese, even the youth, treat them with disdain and cruelty. Lahn, Mien, and Di.U scavenged the streets of Saigon looking for food in the most unimaginable places in a bid to survive. Lahn and Di.U had gone separately in search of supplies, food, and medicine to treat Mien, who was injured on the leg on the waterfront. Lahn returns to their hideout after making all efforts without success. All they did was wait for Di.U to return, with the hope that she would bring something useful or medicine that would cure Mien of the sickness caused by his injury. Now Mien's life depends on what she brings from her hunt.

The first thing that captured my attention was the name of this book, which made me eager to know what the content of the book was and the story that was behind the Shadow Children of Saigon. I was surprised by how a fellow human could treat another with such cruelty. As I flipped or scrolled and read each page, I was able to uncover the story behind the children's struggles, and I learned a lot about how they strive for survival in the streets of Saigon. I was also able to gather a little intelligence on the Vietnamese before the war that brought about the suffering of these innocent children.

I enjoyed every aspect of this book, and I was engulfed in my reading. Furthermore, I also loved Haversham's strong will and kindness. Likewise, I would assume he was the person with the most treasured persona. Furthermore, how the children cooperated to survive is what I admired, as they always stuck together, through hard times or better times. And I think that is one of the reasons they possess such a strong bond with one another. The author also included pictures in most chapters, which showed colorful drawings of his descriptions, which I adored.

I can't find anything to criticize, hate, or dislike about this book. Though there are usages of a few profane words in some chapters, they didn't bother me or affect my reading in any way. I observed only one error while reading, which confirms the professional editing of this book. Therefore, my rating is 5 out of 5 stars.

My recommendation for this book would be to those who love war stories and those who would love to know about how the Vietnam War affected some children, as they would find this book intriguing.

Shadow Children of Saigon
View: on Bookshelves
Ivana_5
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Ivana_5 »

This is a amazing story and touch every human person. Children mixed race faither to survive difficult Vietnam war. This is a story of faith, pain an love. Together is a stronger say that novels. I recommend people why like history story and why have a human heart, because this story telling us how is be a child on the war and never metter why is a religious and faith.
Chrystal Paris
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chrystal-paris.html
Latest Review: Swimming in a Sea of Stars by Julie Wright

Post by Chrystal Paris »

The effect wars have on its survivors will forever abound. It's always sad to see children fending for themselves. I would love to read this book. Great review
Okocha Victor
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-okocha-victor.html
Latest Review: Mrs. White's Sub Snips by Laura Moss White

Post by Okocha Victor »

Why despise something you don't understand? I will never be able to grasp the concept of racism. Like, what do you want? Yes, they look different and talk differently and eat differently and live differently, so what? What exactly is the issue, or are the racist just jealous?

Return to “Historical Fiction”