May BOTM - Featured Review: Save the Last Bullet for God

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
tmarie3
Bookshelf Size: 1

Re: May BOTM - Featured Review: Save the Last Bullet for God

Post by tmarie3 »

I agree, reviewing this type of book can be difficult, but rachel_jacks did a fine job at reviewing this book. So much so, that I'm very curious to read as soon as I can. Thank you rachel_jacks.
cathycoleman
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by cathycoleman »

Save the Last Bullet for God by J.T. Alblood is one of the most intriguing books I have read, the book cover and title grabbed my attention and I couldn't help but to stick with it to the end. It's a great book i really enjoyed reading cause am always interested in literature,Science Fiction and action books about aliens, spaceships, occult societies and life in ways one can not imagine, one of the best part is the romance story that flows so easily into the adventure side of the book. The book is well written with clear and direct descriptions giving an imaginary situation to the world the writer created in the book.The author is a great writer and i look forward to reading other books.
stoppoppingtheP
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Adriana Trigiani
Favorite Book: The Hand of Fatima
Currently Reading: High Low In-Between
Bookshelf Size: 162
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stoppoppingthep.html
Latest Review: If I Only Knew by Kim Simmons
fav_author_id: 8071

Post by stoppoppingtheP »

If this book is as good as the other book that I am currently reading, by the same author, then I am definitely going to read it.

From the comments, I gather that the book is just as intriguing. I have already downloaded the book and can't wait to start it.

“there have been so many times
i have seen a man wanting to weep
but
instead
beat his heart until it was unconscious.

-masculine”

― Nayyirah Waheed
anonanemone
Favorite Author: So many...
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 24">Tinder Stricken</a>
Currently Reading: Outland Exile
Bookshelf Size: 901
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anonanemone.html
Latest Review: "The Shark in the Park" by Mark Watson
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by anonanemone »

Rachel_Jacks, I am completely impressed by how well you were able to get everything across. I am excited to read this book (thank you, JT!) and see if I have a similar experience. Great job on the review and congrats, JT!
The world lives between those who say it cannot be done and those who say that it can. And in my experience, those who say that it can be done are usually telling the truth. --Lord Vetinari (Discworld, Raising Steam)
Latest Review: "The Shark in the Park" by Mark Watson
SabrinaWrites

Post by SabrinaWrites »

SAVE THE LAST BULLET FOR GOD Is An Intellectual Treat for the Scifi lover in all of us...anything is possible in books..

I adore a book that can challenge me, make no mistake I love an easy read too. The author of this novel is clearly on a different plane of thought than the majority. The concepts of the novel are complex, twisted and challenging - most people would struggle with understanding it, at least this is my summation.

I particularly liked the way the consciousness was explained of the blackness, which we know as the Bubonic Plague, or the Black Death. I liked the aggressiveness of it, as well as the nature of it, as horrible as it may be, it isn't every day that you get to pretend to know what a virus or airborne illness might "think". I love a writer who challenges me on many levels, it's invigorating. I won't pretend some portions of this narrative didn't turn my stomach here and there, because it did. But there is a thought process I would compare it to; those of us that live a straight laced life, wondering how it is to be someone who lives on the fringes and still seemingly does fine - to be able to walk that deviant path without danger of consequences; our reward, just a higher plane of understanding, well, it's remarkable - as well as immensely entertaining.

The title of the book was intriguing and by the first few pages, I was deeply intrigued by the style of writing, it reminded me much of trilogies that save the beginning for the last part of the storyline. The interesting thing about books of this nature, is that I have issues with comprehension. At times, I have to re-read a page multiple times to understand a concept, which I did as well with this book. Ironically it has become a bit of a litmus test, if I comprehend on first read, and that's how an entire book goes, I typically decide it's simple, and while easy, I typically don't gain A LOT from those books. That's not to say I don't learn something, it's just not nearly as much as those that take me a bit to get through and understand.

I would recommend this book to most of my friends, this reads like a time hop with the Doctor, it's fun and intelligent and challenging to our preconceived notions about life, and what the "pursuit of happiness" should be. I look forward to reading more from this author, my read of this book could only have been better if I could have read it non stop for a few days, rather than with that annoying interruption called "work".
:)
rssllue
Favorite Author: Ted Dekker
Favorite Book: The Bible
Currently Reading: A Year with C. S. Lewis
Bookshelf Size: 602
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rssllue.html
Latest Review: My Personal Desert Storm by Marcus Johnson
fav_author_id: 2881

Post by rssllue »

A very good review especially for a book that appears to be a quite challenging read. Nice job!
~ occupare fati suffocavit

I will both lay me down in peace, and sleep: for Thou, LORD, only makest me dwell in safety. ~ Psalms 4:8
Stirnwendy

Post by Stirnwendy »

The story could be a complicated one and includes aliens;mystics; occult societies; the thousands -year -long invasion of aliens into the human genome;retro-coronal causality; and also the secret codes inside polymer, the quantity Pi and also the Holy book. Ultimately this story can justify the causes and outcome of Operation WTA. Very informative and outstanding story.Well written by author JT Al blood.Just like to scan this amazing story.
Thanks , :)
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 559
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden by Londyn Skye
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by Heidi M Simone »

Alternate history, occult societies, and Nazis? Wow! It's good to hear that there isn't an attack on Christianity because I am not a fan of the title or thinking of killing God. Though I will say I'm also not a fan of gory scenes, so not sure if this is for me. It's interesting to hear about the dark, twist toward the end of the book, but overall, I think I will pass, but I'm glad that you were able to enjoy the read!
Heidi

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
rachel_bruhn
Favorite Author: Lemony Snicket
Currently Reading: A Dance with Dragons (A Song of Ice and Fire #1)
Bookshelf Size: 101
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rachel-jacks.html
Latest Review: The Sparrow by Denna M. Davis
Publishing Contest Votes: 9
fav_author_id: 5004

Post by rachel_bruhn »

Apparently I am back to not getting notifications when there are new comments on posts!

Thank you for the praise and recognition, both for the review and for the book itself.

I had an interesting thought while reading SabrinaWrites' review regarding how people perceive books. She mentioned that if she doesn't have to reread pages in a book, then she finds it too simple and that she does not learn much from it. It made me think about this book compared to other fiction books. Most of the time when I read a book I am reading for "fun" or the chance to go on an adventure. I am not necessarily looking to learn anything from the book. In this book, there is definitely opportunity to learn something. There is a great adventure taking place, but if you don't follow the concepts being taught, then you can't enjoy the adventure. I think this is a great book for readers that want to learn something!

-- 21 Jan 2016, 11:11 --

So, since we are discussing the book, am I allowed to ask people's thoughts on the ending??
Journey beyond the jacket.
Heidi M Simone
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 559
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden by Londyn Skye
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by Heidi M Simone »

I definitely agree about the learning aspect of reading. I love and appreciate authors who can do this in their works. It makes me want to not only reread parts of that book, but other books by them as well. Thank you for your insight!
Heidi

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
gali
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Family Experiment
Bookshelf Size: 2289
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

rachel_jacks wrote:Apparently I am back to not getting notifications when there are new comments on posts!

Thank you for the praise and recognition, both for the review and for the book itself.

I had an interesting thought while reading SabrinaWrites' review regarding how people perceive books. She mentioned that if she doesn't have to reread pages in a book, then she finds it too simple and that she does not learn much from it. It made me think about this book compared to other fiction books. Most of the time when I read a book I am reading for "fun" or the chance to go on an adventure. I am not necessarily looking to learn anything from the book. In this book, there is definitely opportunity to learn something. There is a great adventure taking place, but if you don't follow the concepts being taught, then you can't enjoy the adventure. I think this is a great book for readers that want to learn something!

-- 21 Jan 2016, 11:11 --

So, since we are discussing the book, am I allowed to ask people's thoughts on the ending??
Better wait for the BOTM. 8)

A magical realism combining aliens, Nazis, and occult societies make a good read. I have read the book already and liked it. I agree with you that the book is challenging and thought-provoking. I also liked that the book involved actual historical events. Thank you for the review!
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
rachel_bruhn

Post by rachel_bruhn »

gali wrote:
rachel_jacks wrote: So, since we are discussing the book, am I allowed to ask people's thoughts on the ending??
Better wait for the BOTM. 8)
Bummer :( I am very excited to hear everyone else's take on this....come on May!
DennisK
Favorite Author: Ken Follett
Currently Reading: Light in August
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dennisk.html
Reading Device: B00L89V1AA
fav_author_id: 3559

Post by DennisK »

First off, I didn't finish reading this book. Therefore, I really don't think I qualify grading it. However, I feel I quit the read for a good reason. If you can recall your experience when witnessing bad acting, you can understand my reaction to this, as far as my sensibilities are concerned, bad writing. I felt as though I was attending a play performed by non-actors. I suppose one could describe the book's style as unique, and I would say, in the same context, that a non-actor's style is unique.
Actually, my revulsion to this book surprises me as I don't consider myself as being a very critical reader. I will usually wade through a difficult book to completion, but after exposure to this book, I will never be able to think of myself in such a liberal way.
The title was intriguing ….
rachel_bruhn

Post by rachel_bruhn »

What did you find poor about the writing? I am just curious. I found it a bit disorganized, but no major errors. The content was intriguing and challenging intellectually. I would love to hear your challenges with reading it.
DennisK
Favorite Author: Ken Follett
Currently Reading: Light in August
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dennisk.html
Reading Device: B00L89V1AA
fav_author_id: 3559

Post by DennisK »

rachel_jacks wrote:What did you find poor about the writing? I am just curious. I found it a bit disorganized, but no major errors. The content was intriguing and challenging intellectually. I would love to hear your challenges with reading it.
This example is a minor irritant, but one that sets my teeth on edge:
When I read a story, I turn words into mental pictures. “a wary innocence shone in her prominent blue eyes.” That kind of description stops me cold. What is this saying – youthful guilt? I can't picture it .. It is like witnessing a pompous wine “expert” sampling a class of red wine: He swirls the wine around in the glass, delicately sniffs its fragrance, takes a sip and sloshes it around in his mouth. He proclaims the wine is earthy and flamboyant with highlights of …(for all I care, grass clippings.) I haven't the faintest idea how the wine will taste. Nor can I picture the look of “wary innocence”. I feel as though I am subjected to a contrivance.
I can live with the above style, but when the protagonist, after passing drugs to an addict which results in his death, escapes with a suspected murderess by slamming a guard's face through a pane of glass, is then told that he was a naughty boy …. I feel as though I stumbled into someone's disjointed dream. For me, the book's credibility was shattered.

Return to “Historical Fiction”