Review of A Secret Life

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
tarafarah7
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Mitch Albom
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... ">tuesdays with Morrie</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1441
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tarafarah7.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 2544

Re: Review of A Secret Life

Post by tarafarah7 »

Today's BOTD is a historical fiction novel that follows Yana as she struggles to find freedom with her husband in Wales and peace for her family in Bulgaria. Readers will find the well-rounded characters relatable and the storyline engaging and thought-provoking. Thank you so much for your wonderful review! I've added this to my WTR list. :-)
Abraham Ozo
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abraham-ozo.html
Latest Review: From GED to PhD by Barbara Crump

Post by Abraham Ozo »

Mina Bancheva's "A Secret Life" portrays courage in the face of adversity and emphasizes lessons of perseverance and forgiveness, offering a compelling narrative with authentic cultural elements.
Misael Carlos
Favorite Book: The Sins of a Master Race
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 213
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-misael-carlos.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Misael Carlos »

I’m looking forward to digging into this novel to find out Yana will be able to save her sister from her challenges which apparently due to Yana’s secret life as an informant. An interesting plot!
Ejimma Chika Promise
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ejimma-chika-promise.html
Latest Review: Happiness to the 10th Power by T. Calvin Ward

Post by Ejimma Chika Promise »

This must be a very tough decision for Yana. I know how painful it is when you have to choose between leaving your new family or seeing your sister in pain. Nice review!
Cheryl Erickson
Currently Reading: 3 Sisters 3 Weeks 3 Countries (Still Talking)
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cheryl-erickson.html
Latest Review: The Caroler by Liza Martini
2024 Reading Goal: 24
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by Cheryl Erickson »

This fiction novel tells the story of Yara Yaokimova, a young woman who escapes from Communist Bulgaria to Wales. She follows her dream to study Psychology and falls in love. But she faces an impossible dilemma when the consequences of her previous decisions come crashing down. I can't wait to continue reading! Excellent book review!
Hundi M
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hundi-m.html
Latest Review: The Unfakeable Code® by Tony Jeton Selimi

Post by Hundi M »

A rich and new experience of knowledge is always an addition to the library, this type of distinctive book.
Shirley Ann Riddern Labzentis
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 223
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shirley-ann-riddern-labzentis.html
Latest Review: The Girls in the Hall by Tony Andras
2024 Reading Goal: 30
2024 Goal Completion: 70%

Post by Shirley Ann Riddern Labzentis »

Great review of "A Secret Life.' You were very explicit about what you liked and disliked about the book. I hate it when a book is ruined by so many mistakes. Of course, I am not an author, but I would think that I would make sure all of the book has been edited several rounds before placing it out into the world.
"Life is like a box of chocolates. You never know which one you are going to get!"
Bettny Andrade
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bettny-andrade.html
Latest Review: The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden by Londyn Skye

Post by Bettny Andrade »

This book is full of teachings, it is A Secret Life written by Mina Bancheva, here the story of Yana is told who seeks freedom after having gone through many difficult episodes in her life and topics related to politics are also touched upon. #BOTD
McDonald Lauren
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mcdonald-lauren.html
Latest Review: There and Back There Again by Andrew Alsup

Post by McDonald Lauren »

What a captivating storyline! "A Secret Life" by Mina Bancheva sounds like a riveting journey filled with themes of courage, love, and the complexities of personal sacrifice. Your observation about the portrayal of Bulgarian culture adds an extra layer of authenticity to the narrative. It's truly inspiring to see characters fighting for their freedom amidst such adversity. Thank you for sharing your insights!
Naushin Moledina
Favorite Book: The Canterville Ghost
Currently Reading: Boundaries
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-naushin-moledina.html
Latest Review: Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless by Mitzi Perdue
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 18%

Post by Naushin Moledina »

"A Secret Life" by Mina Bancheva follows Yana's journey for freedom in Wales, where she falls in love with Daniel. Forced to become an informant to return, she faces a moral dilemma. The book showcases courage and perseverance, teaching valuable lessons in forgiveness. It's a well-written and inspirational read. This is a very informative and honest review. Thank you.
To hate is an easy lazy thing, but to love takes strength everyone has, but not all are willing to practice
Deborah Belanger
Currently Reading: The Bulletproof Missionary
Bookshelf Size: 204
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Deborah Belanger »

Your review was very interesting regarding "A Secret Life" by Mina Bancheva. This is a historical novel about a woman who found a way to get out of Bulgaria to Wales but had to go back because her mother was dying. The only way she could get her Visa this time was if she signed up to be an informant for Bulgarian system in Wales. She does do this but hopes they forget about her until she learns her sister is suffering because she has failed to honor the informant agreement. A highly intriguing book that I am looking forward to reading. Congratulations to the author for BOTD.
Anees Ur Rehman 4
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10

Post by Anees Ur Rehman 4 »

An excellent review. This book sounds interesting and educative as well. I can not wait to read it.
Congrats!
Sirajuddin A
Currently Reading: Make Your Message Matter
Bookshelf Size: 555
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sirajuddin-a.html
Latest Review: The Unfakeable Code® by Tony Jeton Selimi

Post by Sirajuddin A »

A Secret Life by Mina Bancheva reveals some secrets about the role of foreign embassies as the protagonist of this story finds herself compelled to become an informant.
Aleesha Jarral
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 112
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aleesha-jarral.html
Latest Review: We Come Bearing Curses by Zachariah Chamberlin

Post by Aleesha Jarral »

It appears to be an amazing novel with brave and right-minded characters like Yana and Daniel who not only inspire but also fight for what is right. I'd be thrilled to read the book. I appreciate your review.
Dunayevich
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 6

Post by Dunayevich »

Amazing review, it sounds like a really interesting story, it really made me wanna read the book. I love books with double life characters -one, her love, two, her job- and the review made it sound like and old Robert Ludlum story!

Return to “Historical Fiction”