Review of A Secret Life

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Francis Kapola
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-francis-kapola.html
Latest Review: The Artificial Intelligence Rights and Responsibilities Act” by Alton Booth

Re: Review of A Secret Life

Post by Francis Kapola »

Yana's struggle mirrored the inner conflicts many face when torn between personal desires and familial duties. Bancheva's narrative skillfully navigates the complexities of love, betrayal, and the relentless pursuit of freedom, leaving an indelible mark on my heart.
Precious Amarachi Nzeakor
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 99
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-precious-amarachi-nzeakor.html
Latest Review: I'll Always Be With You by Violetta Armour

Post by Precious Amarachi Nzeakor »

I like that this book is culturally centered and is written with an aim to highlight the struggles of Bulgarians. In that light, it'll be a great resource material for people who want to learn about Bulgarian-centred names of people, foods, and events.
Damian Keyes
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 130
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-damian-keyes.html
Latest Review: Last Minute Wedding Date by Anthony george
2024 Reading Goal: 30
2024 Goal Completion: 23%

Post by Damian Keyes »

Yana is put in a difficult decision. Any decision will jeopardize her life and future so this is a lose-lose situation. I cannot wait to embark on this journey with a female protagonist who's ready to take on the system, if necessary. Congrats to the author for receiving the honor of BOTD.
Esther Deekor
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-esther-deekor.html
Latest Review: Risky Business In Rising China by Mark Atkeson

Post by Esther Deekor »

Leaving your family and country to a whole new environment without any roots, takes courage and I admire Yana's courage. Plus, the mix of action thriller, romance and family in this book fascinates me and piques my interest in the book. Congratulations on BOTD!!
Rahul Singh 29
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rahul-singh-29.html
Latest Review: Reconfigurement by E. Alan Fleischauer
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 33%

Post by Rahul Singh 29 »

Thank you for sharing your review of the book "A Secret Life" by Mina Bancheva. The book sounds like a captivating and emotional story that explores the challenges and choices of living under a repressive regime and finding a new life in a different country. I like the character of Yana and how she deals with the dilemma of being a spy or a traitor. I think the book raises important questions about freedom, loyalty, and identity, as well as the consequences of our actions. Congratulations to the author, #BOTD!
Life is a play where we are the actors and the audience, We laugh and cry, love and hate, create and destroy,
We seek to know ourselves and others, to belong and to be free, We accept what we can and change what we must.
Stephen Christopher 1
Favorite Book: The Book Thief
Currently Reading: Photofinish
Bookshelf Size: 137
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephen-christopher-1.html
Latest Review: Sh*t Happens by Gavin L James.
2024 Reading Goal: 25
2024 Goal Completion: 44%

Post by Stephen Christopher 1 »

I like the idea of this book: Yana doing whatever she can to improve her life. This is a common story for many people. It's a shame about all the errors, that would take away from my reading experience. I'm not sure if I'll continue it or not.
Suvankar Das 1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-suvankar-das-1.html
Latest Review: The Disciples by D. Fuller Smith

Post by Suvankar Das 1 »

Thank you for sharing your detailed thoughts on "A Secret Life" by Mina Bancheva. Your insights into the positive aspects of the book, such as the courage of the characters in fighting for their freedom and the lessons it imparts on perseverance and forgiveness, provide a well-rounded perspective.
Ma Kristine Dakoykoy Rennie
Currently Reading: In-Between
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ma-kristine-dakoykoy-rennie.html
Latest Review: Not Fishy Enough by Briton Kolber
Reading Device: B0BNMD3CFC

Post by Ma Kristine Dakoykoy Rennie »

I wanted to express my heartfelt gratitude for recommending "A Secret Life" by Mina Bancheva. It was an incredibly captivating story, and I thoroughly enjoyed delving into Yana's journey from a review.
sanjeev maurya
Currently Reading: In It Together
Bookshelf Size: 62
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sanjeev-maurya.html
Latest Review: Quantitative Research Made Easy by Claude Phiri

Post by sanjeev maurya »

Thank you for sharing your detailed review of "A Secret Life" by Mina Bancheva. Your insights into the characters and the themes of the book are quite enlightening. It seems like the story's exploration of freedom, forgiveness, and perseverance resonated with you, which are indeed powerful and relatable themes. Despite the errors you mentioned, it's great to hear that you found the book well-written and inspirational, ultimately deserving of a four-star rating. Based on your review, I'm intrigued and considering adding this book to my reading list. Thank you for the recommendation!
Wairimu Mimo
Currently Reading: The Legacy of Job's Wife
Bookshelf Size: 10

Post by Wairimu Mimo »

Such a great review!! Looking forward to read the book. The story gives us a look of Yana's life and lessons on perseverance, essence of forgiveness and freedom, a great read.
Mimo...
Alissa Deann Devargas
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alissa-deann-devargas.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD

Post by Alissa Deann Devargas »

I think Mina should work with the Bulgaria's, since she signed the deal herself. Although it's sad that she might lose her family, she has to take responsibility for her sister. I'd like to read this spy story.
Okafor Angel
Currently Reading: The Fish House
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-angel-okafor-1.html
Latest Review: Alpha Buddies Land by Donna Marie Rink

Post by Okafor Angel »

This book looks like a very informative and interesting book, I would love to know Tina's decisions and how it affected her life. I can't wait to dive into this book. Congrats on being book of the day!.
Rezaul Hasan
Currently Reading: Good Sexual Hygiene & Spiritual Attitude
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rezaul-hasan.html
Latest Review: Trinities to Enneagrams, 2nd Edition by Allen David Young

Post by Rezaul Hasan »

Bancheva's writing style is rich in evocative imagery and descriptive descriptions that, throughout "A Secret Life," offer a clear picture of the characters' inner anguish and surroundings. Readers are kept guessing as secrets are progressively exposed, curious to learn the truth about two sister's enigmatic pasts. After all, "A Secret Life" is a gripping and provocative examination of the human condition that is full of surprises and turns that will keep readers interested right up until the very end.
Kibet Hillary
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3050
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibet-hillary.html
Latest Review: Duck Blinds I Have Known by Donny McElvoy

Post by Kibet Hillary »

We are now living in a world where we constantly have to stand up and fight for the rights of the oppressed and those whose voices are either openly or subtly depressed. This is a wonderful book, undoubtedly, for those whose passion lies here. It is good to read that the characters' motivations were disclosed, which makes it easier to relate to them. Many thanks for the review.
:tiphat: :tiphat: :tiphat:
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
mrlefty0706
In It Together VIP
Favorite Author: Jack Winnick
Favorite Book: What If They Knew
Currently Reading: This Is Your Last Warning
Bookshelf Size: 643
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 77547
2024 Reading Goal: 150
2024 Goal Completion: 60%

Post by mrlefty0706 »

“A Secret Life” by Mina Bancheva is a story about Yana, a native of Bulgaria that seeks her freedom and moves to Wales and meets Daniel. When Yana’s mother became sick Yana traveled back to Bulgaria to take care of her. When she applied for a Visa to return to Wales, she signed an agreement with the Bulgarian government to act as a informant and report on Bulgarians living in London. She obtained her Visa in another way but the Bulgarian government had the document she signed and they were going to hold her to it. Sadly, Yana’s sister is still in Bulgaria and Yana has to decide if she should leave her new family behind and go back to Bulgaria or letting her sister suffer. Yana learned in elementary school that praying to God was not allowed. This is a well-written book that should appeal to readers that love fighting for their freedoms.

Return to “Historical Fiction”