Review of A Secret Life

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Michael Valentine
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 85
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-michael-valentine.html
Latest Review: Diotima by Bernard Kuckuck

Review of A Secret Life

Post by Michael Valentine »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "A Secret Life" by Mina Bancheva.]
Book Cover
4 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

A Secret Life by Mina Bancheva is a very interesting story about Yana. In search of freedom, Yana gets her visa and travels to Wales, where she stays with a friend and gets to know Daniel, whom she falls in love with. Yana had to go back to Bulgaria due to her mother's illness. However, in order to obtain a visa to return to Wales after her mother's death, she was asked to become an informant and report on Bulgarians staying in London. Yana later got the visa through another means, and after her marriage to Daniel, she forgot that she had signed to become an informant. After receiving many threats in Wales and learning about the misery her sister was going through in Bulgaria, she knew that the deal had not been forgotten. Yana faces a difficult situation, as she has to choose between leaving her new family behind or allowing her sister to suffer endlessly.

There are several positive aspects to Mina Bancheva's book. I liked the courage with which the people fought for their freedom. The system was not right, and the people were made to live with the constant fear of an informant among them. Fighting for what should have belonged to them was very right. I also liked how the author embraced the Bulgarian-centred names of people, foods, and events. 

There are several lessons the book teaches. First, it teaches perseverance. When Yana remembered the ugly experience she had with her primary school teacher, Comrade Stoyanova, when she told the class she prayed to God, she rather continued with her prayers. She didn't tell anyone this time and did it secretly. Even after being punished, without evidence that the God she prayed to exists, she continued to pray. The book also teaches the essence of forgiveness. Although Yana had committed a grievous act, her sister still forgave her. Daniel saw his fault and was able to forgive both Yana and himself. Daniel's approach showed that sometimes people's actions are not always one-sided. Most times, they result from the actions of others, especially the people close to them. Daniel understood that he hadn't been open enough and was self-centred, and Yana couldn't possibly open up to him like that. 

I loved how the author ensured that the motivations for the characters’ decisions were well explained. I appreciated the fact that the author maintained a consistent pace throughout the book; there was no part of the book that bored me. While reading, I was eager to know what decisions Yana would make. However, I found a lot of errors while reading the book; this was the only aspect of the book I disliked.

The book receives a rating of four out of five stars. The errors in the book warranted the deduction of a star from my rating. I did not rate the book lower because it was well-written and inspirational. I recommend this book to people who love fiction and politics, those who love fighting for freedom, and those who stand up for what is right.

A Secret Life
View: on Bookshelves
joanedesa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joanedesa.html
Latest Review: Snatched Up to Heaven! by Jemima Paul and Arvind Paul

Post by joanedesa »

Great review. Will definitely read the book
Lilian Namatsi
Currently Reading: Choose to Soar
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lilian-namatsi.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD

Post by Lilian Namatsi »

An excellent review. This book sounds interesting and educative as well. I can not wait to read it.
Congrats!
Rebecca De Figueiredo
Favorite Book: Sent to Watch
Currently Reading: Enlightenment for the Things that Really Matter
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rebecca-de-figueiredo.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed

Post by Rebecca De Figueiredo »

We are with Yana through this book, willing her to be safe and do the sensible thing. She is put in incredibly difficult situations for a young lady in a foreign country.
_Rhea Jacob
Currently Reading: In It Together
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rhea-jacob.html
Latest Review: Not Fishy Enough by Briton Kolber

Post by _Rhea Jacob »

It looks like an inspirational book where the characters of the book, like Yana and Daniel, are not only inspirational but courageous and fight for what is right. I would love to read the book. Thank you for your review!
Mole128
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Mole128 »

The book sounds interesting and mysterious. I would love to read more on Yana and Daniel journey as it sounds thrilling.
Paris Kumar
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 489
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-paris-kumar.html
Latest Review: 480 Codorus Street by Sandra L. Kearse-Stockton
2024 Reading Goal: 200
2024 Goal Completion: 30%

Post by Paris Kumar »

Your thoughtful analysis of "A Secret Life" by Mina Bancheva captures the book's essence of courage, perseverance, and forgiveness beautifully. Your appreciation for the character motivations and the author's attention to detail shine through, making your review both insightful and compelling. Thanks for sharing your reading experience with us!

Congratulations on being BOTD!
The greatest part of a writer’s time is spent in reading, in order to write; a man will turn over half a library to make one book.
—Samuel Johnson

I am happy to be a part of the OnlineBookClub.
valentiareshoketswe
Currently Reading: Fifty Shades of Grey
Bookshelf Size: 4

Post by valentiareshoketswe »

I would love to get to read about Yana as she faces a difficult situation, as she has to choose between leaving her new family behind or allowing her sister to suffer endlessly. The book sounds thrilling and exciting.
DUNCAN TSHEPANG MATHEBULA
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-duncan-tshepang-mathebula.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by DUNCAN TSHEPANG MATHEBULA »

I would love to read more about Yana as she needs to make a decision between choosing her new family and saving her sister. The book sound exciting, mysterious and thrilling.
Salome Ogani
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 92
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-salome-ogani.html
Latest Review: The Flaxen Tyranny by Simon Evans

Post by Salome Ogani »

Bancheva's novel does an excellent job of transporting readers into the tumultuous world of 1980s Bulgaria and the oppressive Communist regime. Yana's struggle between personal freedom and familial obligations is powerfully rendered, and the book raises fascinating moral dilemmas around the ethics of being an informant. While at times heartbreaking, the story is also one of resilience, love, and finding the courage to fight for what's right. A must-read for fans of historical fiction.
Kshitija Sonawane
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kshitija-sonawane.html
Latest Review: Back to Bremo by Debby Hall
2024 Reading Goal: 24
2024 Goal Completion: 37%

Post by Kshitija Sonawane »

We take many things for granted. We take freedom for granted, we take democracy for granted but those who don't get that privilege, life is hell for them. This story is about one such girl experiencing the communist regime. Congratulations on BOTD, and best wishes for future projects.
Anaïs Quesson
Favorite Book: The Song of Achilles
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 174
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ana-s-quesson.html
Latest Review: Chrome Mountain by Ben Schneider

Post by Anaïs Quesson »

This book sounds mysterious and heart wrenching. I wonder how Yana will solve her dilemma.
Congratulations on this great review!
Anaïs - she/her

"No nightingales. You idiot. We could have been... us."
Merits Anih
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 152
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-merits-anih.html
Latest Review: Behind the Eyes of Zylo Moon by David Nathaniel Nealis

Post by Merits Anih »

The rich attention to Bulgarian culture and traditions adds wonderful texture and immersion. Though at times a heavy read given the subject matter, I found Yana to be an inspiring protagonist whose determination in the face of impossible choices had me rooting for her every step of the way. A poignant and unforgettable novel.
Jorge Leon Salazar
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 151
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jorge-leon-salazar.html
Latest Review: The Artificial Intelligence Rights and Responsibilities Act” by Alton Booth

Post by Jorge Leon Salazar »

This book seems aimed at those who like politics, the fight for freedom and for what is right. The plot around Yana looks interesting. The dilemma of choosing between leaving her new family behind or allowing her sister to suffer endlessly is heartbreaking. Sounds intriguing!
Yvonne Oloo
Currently Reading: Angel Falling
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yvonne-oloo.html
Latest Review: 3 Sisters 3 Weeks 3 Countries (Still Talking) by Elizabeth Moore Kraus

Post by Yvonne Oloo »

This looks like a great book with a touching and intriguing plot. The book revolves around Yana's quest for freedom. Although she initially obtains freedom when she manages to relocate to Wales, the situation back home in Bulgaria sends her back to the very place where she felt caged. The Bulgarian system, does not give her any peace as she is forced to sign up as an informant in order to re-gain her Visa to go back to Wales. The situation gets even worse when her sister has to suffer because Yana failed to honor the informant agreement. I'm highly anticipating reading this book since I have a copy of it.

Return to “Historical Fiction”