Review of The Blood of My Mother

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Jemma Tredinnick
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jemma-tredinnick.html
Latest Review: Swimming in a Sea of Stars by Julie Wright
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Review of The Blood of My Mother

Post by Jemma Tredinnick »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Blood of My Mother" by Roccie Hill.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

"The Blood of My Mother" by Roccie Hill is a captivating historical novel, offering a compelling narrative that follows the life of Eliza from her formative years in frontier Texas during the mid-nineteenth century. Her mixed heritage subjects her to numerous challenges throughout the story and helps shape her character in response to how she is treated. Hill skillfully crafts the tale from Eliza's perspective, allowing her character to take center stage and shine through with her strength and unwavering belief in equality and her refusal to submit to prejudice.

The portrayal of other characters is equally commendable, as they are seen through Eliza's perceptive eyes. Her restrained voice, while witnessing significant events, may initially seem unremarkable, but it subtly reveals the profound emotional impact she experiences. Gradually, the reader gains a deep sense of empathy and understanding for Eliza's journey and struggles.

The language employed in the novel is remarkable, occasionally requiring recourse to a dictionary for the more uncommon words. This high level of English did seem incongruous with the semi-literate context of the time, especially as the characters had no formal education. On the other hand, there was a fantastic range of unusual phrases and colloquialisms used by the characters, which imparted an unexpected layer of depth and entertainment to the narrative.

At its core, the book delves into themes of love, hope, and loyalty, demonstrating their power to prevail over life-changing events. While being both educational and engaging, the novel deftly avoids any preachy overtones. Additionally, the book is praiseworthy for its meticulous editing, devoid of any errors or typos.

Although the initial pace may be unhurried, the story gains momentum, making it difficult to put down once it unfolds. I wholeheartedly rate "The Blood of My Mother" a perfect 5 out of 5, as I thoroughly enjoying the reading experience despite its divergence from my typical favorites.

The Blood of My Mother
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Okewunmi Pelumi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-okewunmi-pelumi.html
Latest Review: Surviving the Business of Healthcare by Barbara Galutia Regis PA-C

Post by Okewunmi Pelumi »

I love this review, it captivated my attention.

Return to “Historical Fiction”