Review of Magical Adventures of Teddy The Bear

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Maduabuchi Okwiya N Eze
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 494
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maduabuchi-eze.html
Latest Review: EXXXXCUUUUUSE ME? A Satire on Publishing by Richard Stephenson

Review of Magical Adventures of Teddy The Bear

Post by Maduabuchi Okwiya N Eze »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Magical Adventures of Teddy The Bear" by Robin Scott Bicknell.]
Book Cover
2 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Teddy just defied his mother's instructions and ate the red berries. Now he is trapped in a state of mind where he meets an elk named Roosevelt and an owl named Hoot. The three set out on an adventure to meet Theodore Roosevelt, the 26th U.S. President. The journey is a mix of thrills and challenges, and in all of these, there are essential life lessons to learn.

I was impressed with Robin Scott Bicknell's decision to weave historical details into this children's story, and this is probably what I liked most. Before now, I hadn't read or heard about President Theodore Roosevelt, but this story provided me the opportunity to learn a couple of things about him and the amazing policies he made as the 26th president of the United States, especially the building of parks and monuments. These pieces of information can motivate children to aspire to be diligent and responsive leaders and members of society.

Robin also does a great job of passing along some invaluable habits that kids need to develop as they grow up. For example, kids can appreciate the priceless benefit of obedience to parents and caregivers from the various incidents that happened to Teddy. The book is short, which is another good thing, as kids can easily finish it in one sitting. Furthermore, the illustrations were okay—specifically, I would say average. However, I think putting them in their various areas of relevance in the story instead of pushing them to the end of the story would serve readers better.

It wasn't great to come across a lot of grammatical errors in this short read. The many poorly crafted sentences weren't helpful as well, as can be seen in the following: "Off he goes as he jumps toward a large boulder near the shore he loses his balance falls into the cold rushing water" (page 4). In addition, I wasn't impressed with the outcome of Teddy, Roosevelt, and Hoot's adventure to meet President Theodore Roosevelt. I thought the benefit wasn't worth the trouble, and I found it difficult to believe their parents did not know the answers they sought. Their encounter with the president also felt cold and unrealistic to me.

I can only manage to rate Magical Adventures of Teddy the Bear two out of five stars because of the positive values it teaches and the bits of historical detail in it. This book lost three stars due to my displeasure with the many grammatical errors, poor word choices, unrealistic storyline, and misplaced illustrations. Nevertheless, I recommend it to readers between four and nine years old, as they might find a couple of things in it enjoyable.

Magical Adventures of Teddy The Bear
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Rica Concepcion
Currently Reading: Apollo's Raven
Bookshelf Size: 44

Post by Rica Concepcion »

Despite the mentioned errors, I will still give this book a try for its positive values teaching to kids. Thanks for the wonderful and honest review.
Alka Singla
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Alka Singla »

Even though there are some mistakes mentioned, I'll still give this book a shot because it teaches good things to kids. Thanks for the great and truthful review!
Angela Mancilla
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Angela Mancilla »

I think it is an interesting book despite the errors and it would be good to give it a chance since it deals with content for children.
Okewunmi Pelumi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-okewunmi-pelumi.html
Latest Review: Surviving the Business of Healthcare by Barbara Galutia Regis PA-C

Post by Okewunmi Pelumi »

Well, I think I have to read this book. It seems like it'll be interesting. Thanks for this review.

Return to “Historical Fiction”