Official Review: Goodbye Bombay by Gry Finsnes

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Serena [Poetree]
Currently Reading: Earthkeepers
Bookshelf Size: 638
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-serena-poetree.html
Latest Review: "Ring of Fire" by Stevie Rae Causey

Official Review: Goodbye Bombay by Gry Finsnes

Post by Serena [Poetree] »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Goodbye Bombay" by Gry Finsnes.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Goodbye Bombay gives readers a captivating glimpse into the life of an expat in India during the 1980s.

When a loved one ends up at the hospital in a coma, Christine’s friend Phoebe comes over to take her mind off the situation by asking about her life in India. Christine reluctantly begins a detailed account of what happened after she, her husband, and their young daughter moved to India for her husband’s work—the places they visited, the people they met, and the relationships that formed and twisted and shattered.

The book has an interesting structure, being almost entirely dialogue. The present-day is narrated by Christine in first person present tense, and her story in India, of course, is told through conversation with Phoebe and a few moments of silent reminiscing. While Phoebe’s interjections—comments, questions, etc.—do help keep the dialogue feeling realistic, Christine often recounts specific details and even entire conversations that make her tale sound too scripted

However, Christine’s story is easy to get swept up in. Gry Fisnes really pulled me in, almost as if I were in India, or at least listening along with Phoebe. Vivid, colorful imagery brings to life narratives of beautiful landscapes, formal gatherings, and many small adventures. And food! From a mushroom omelet with tomato salad in Britain to curries, naan, and samosas in India, all of the food is richly, deliciously, tantalizingly described.

I rather disliked Christine, unfortunately—she seemed to me somewhat irrational and very self-centered—and I also didn’t like the love interest almost from the moment he was introduced. I think Fisnes tried very hard to make him sound romantic and endearing, but I thought he reeked of dishonesty. And I’m so very tired of reading about affairs and broken marriages. Can we, for once, have a contemporary about a healthy relationship?

Phoebe, in contrast, is such a good friend. She distracts Christine by asking about India, makes her dinner, encourages her to go for a walk, and listens intently and actively to her story. I also loved Ruth, who is confident, kind, and a loyal friend to Christine in India.

Although I appreciated the unique structure and vivid detail, the disappointing morals, unlikable protagonist, and smattering of typos and errors brings my rating to 2 out of 4 stars. An avid reader of romance may enjoy Goodbye Bombay, but it just wasn’t my cup of tea. I hoped for a story of India; I got an affair.

Goodbye Bombay
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Serena [Poetree]'s review? Post a comment saying so!
kimmyschemy06
Currently Reading: The Searching Three
Bookshelf Size: 694
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kimmyschemy06.html
Latest Review: Kazi Boku by M. Poyhonen

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

That was a very honest review. The premise sounds interesting. Too bad, though, about the unlikable protagonist and numerous errors. Nice job on the review.
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: An American in Scotland
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

I really enjoyed reading your review. I also read and reviewed this book several months ago and agree with many of your points. Like you, I found the main character self-absorbed and unlikeable. The dialogue did feel a little too scripted instead of easy-going conversation between friends.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
Serena [Poetree]

bookowlie wrote:I really enjoyed reading your review. I also read and reviewed this book several months ago and agree with many of your points. Like you, I found the main character self-absorbed and unlikeable. The dialogue did feel a little too scripted instead of easy-going conversation between friends.
Thank you!

It's nice to know I'm not the only one who felt that way about it.
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: An American in Scotland
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

It really annoyed me that Christine and her friend were enjoying themselves and reminiscing while drinking wine and having leisurely meals! Christine's ***(no spoilers) was lying in the hospital in a coma and they would be joking around all the time talking about her illicit affair. I always wondered if the book was loosely based on the author's own experiences.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
Serena [Poetree]

bookowlie wrote:It really annoyed me that Christine and her friend were enjoying themselves and reminiscing while drinking wine and having leisurely meals! Christine's ***(no spoilers) was lying in the hospital in a coma and they would be joking around all the time talking about her illicit affair. I always wondered if the book was loosely based on the author's own experiences.
Oh my goodness, yes! I couldn't for the life of me figure out why, if she was so worried about the hospitalized person, she wasn't spending the majority of her time there!
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

Good review! Not my cup of tea either. I hope you will enjoy your next book more,
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
stoppoppingtheP
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Adriana Trigiani
Favorite Book: The Hand of Fatima
Currently Reading: High Low In-Between
Bookshelf Size: 162
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stoppoppingthep.html
Latest Review: If I Only Knew by Kim Simmons
fav_author_id: 8071

Post by stoppoppingtheP »

Serena [Poetree] wrote:. I hoped for a story of India; I got an affair.

I was also expecting a story about India. Disappointing.

“there have been so many times
i have seen a man wanting to weep
but
instead
beat his heart until it was unconscious.

-masculine”

― Nayyirah Waheed
Cee-Jay Aurinko
Favorite Author: Stephen King
Favorite Book: The Dark Tower 1 - The Gunslinger
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cee-jay-aurinko.html
Latest Review: "Higgins Hotel" by Carla Coffman
fav_author_id: 2376

Post by Cee-Jay Aurinko »

So sorry you didn't get your dose of India. Lol. Great review!
"Might as well drink the ocean with a spoon as argue with a lover." -- The Dark Tower 2, Stephen King
Latest Review: "Higgins Hotel" by Carla Coffman

Return to “Historical Fiction”