Review of The Bereaved

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Francis Ignacio
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chimaobi-ignatius-egenti.html
Latest Review: Jack by J.S.Parker

Review of The Bereaved

Post by Francis Ignacio »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Bereaved" by Julia Park Tracey.]
Book Cover
4 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

The Bereaved was written by Julia Park Tracey. It tells the sad story of a mother and wife, Martha, who later became a widow after her husband, Abram, passed away from an illness. But before all that, this book gives us the backstory of Martha. When Martha was a young girl, she lost her father and her grandmother too. This made her come up from Otisville to Newburgh. Her mother remarried and would not let her into her new home, so she had no choice but to move to Newburgh and stay with her mother’s brother, Greenleaf.

All was well in her uncle’s house for a while; she took care of her little nieces, helped around in the house, and went to church on Sunday, where she crushed on a young boy, Abram Lozier. But as fate would have it, a lawyer friend of her uncle, Mr. Montgomery, began to pester her and harass her. But Abram found out and put a stop to it. He married her a few months later. Now that Abram is dead, what will become of Martha and her children?

This book was a difficult one to read for me, and it wasn’t because it was poorly written. Rather, because of how well the author was able to make the reader feel all the emotions felt by Martha, the writing style was unique, and the language, especially in conversations, suited the times. The book was socially charged, and themes such as racism and sexual harassment are covered in the book.

I greatly admired the character of Martha. She is a strong-willed woman and mother who will do anything to protect her children. She sacrificed a lot for her children. She was always prepared to go the extra mile.

The only thing I didn’t like about this book was that some profanities were repeated. The one that affected me so much was the use of the word "Negro" to address black men in the book. But as I said earlier, the author made use of the language available at the time the book was set.

I rate this book 4 out of 5 stars. The reason for my rating has been stated above. I recommend it to lovers of historical fiction. I should also mention that there are scenes of sexual harassment in the book.

The Bereaved
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Latest Review: Jack by J.S.Parker
Jennifer Coxon
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Cancer, Faith & Butterflies
Bookshelf Size: 67
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jennifer-coxon.html
Latest Review: Love Letters to the Virgin Mary by David Richards
2024 Reading Goal: 15
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by Jennifer Coxon »

Great review. I'm a big fan of historical fiction and find that great authors can convey the feelings of the characters so impressively that it leaves a mark on your heart.

What period is the book set in?
Ayush_Patel
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 163
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ayush-patel.html
Latest Review: Affirm The Word by J. Marie Jones

Post by Ayush_Patel »

The reviewer found "The Bereaved" by Julia Park Tracey to be a poignant and well-written story. The book effectively portrays the life of Martha, a resilient woman who faced multiple losses and challenges in her life. The writing style and language, reflecting the historical context, are praised. The book also delves into important social issues, including racism and sexual harassment. The reviewer admires Martha's character for her strength and maternal devotion. The only critique is the repetitive use of certain profanities, which is attributed to the historical accuracy of the language.
Levyson Simutowe
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Levyson Simutowe »

The story of Martha is so interesting it speaks of real situation that usually happens around the world losing parents it's something that makes one loose focus on other things, it's an amazing story, a life lesson.
Kelvinna
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kelvinna.html
Latest Review: Stevie Tenderheart Books A Second Kiss Goodnight (A Bedtime Story) by Steve William Laible

Post by Kelvinna »

I appreciate the well-structured review. The author's excellent book and its intriguing title have piqued my interest, prompting me to add it to my bookshelf without a doubt.
Kelvinna
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kelvinna.html
Latest Review: Stevie Tenderheart Books A Second Kiss Goodnight (A Bedtime Story) by Steve William Laible

Post by Kelvinna »

The reviewer's critique stands out for me, appreciating both the well-written review, the rating given, and the recommendation provided. I must emphasize the quality of this piece, thoroughly enjoying the content while reading it.

Return to “Historical Fiction”