Review of To Master the Tides

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Mayang Bature
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 302
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mayang-bature.html
Latest Review: Clouded Thoughts by F.R. Puentes

Review of To Master the Tides

Post by Mayang Bature »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "To Master the Tides" by Josephine Borgia.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Frederick Estibus was a melancholic young man who was soon to be married to Isabella. The problem was that he had been in an adulterous relationship with Lady Margery Fitton since he was in college. The wedding got off to a rocky start when Isabella became friends with Margery, who now faced resentment from Frederick. Frederick decided to end it all when he met Ellie when she was in labor, and Ellie became the woman he thought was his fae. Meanwhile, Cuthbert, his inebriated brother, seemed to aggravate matters all the time. Frederick soon finds himself at a crossroads, forced to choose between his happiness and his family's status.

"To Master the Tides" is a book that was written in a gentle, relatable style that made me empathize with the characters' plight. The author's writing style was straightforward, which drew me into the story. As our melancholic protagonist got lost in his thoughts, always thinking about his life, I found myself rooting for him because I could understand everything he felt on a fundamental level. His emotions from the moment he met Isabella were not described as being as strong as the feelings of comfort he felt with Margery at the time. The words used made me realize that the relationship with Isabella was more of an obligation than a romantic emotion. These minor details were the highlight for me, and I always enjoyed them.

One of my favorite characters was Ellie. She had a wonderful sense of humor, which I adored. This made the book lighter to read, providing some levity in the face of Frederick's introspective, melancholy thoughts. I also enjoyed their interactions because they were completely honest, and their fondness grew as a result. This type of interaction, combined with appropriate character development, made this book an engaging read.

The pacing of this book was perfect, the characters were well-developed, and the story kept my attention throughout. A couple of predictable plot twists were the least favorite parts of this novel for me; thankfully, they were few and not enough to hamper my enjoyment. As a result, "To Master the Tides" gets 5 out of 5 stars from me. This book would appeal to romance readers. Despite a few minor, ignorable errors, there was some profanity, so readers beware.

To Master the Tides
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
As long as there is a concept of victors, the vanquished will always exist.

~Uchiha M.
Chandrakant Patel
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chandrakant-patel.html
Latest Review: The Unfakeable Code® by Tony Jeton Selimi

Post by Chandrakant Patel »

"To Master the Tides" is a relatable and well-paced story with strong character development and a touch of humor, making it an engaging read for romance enthusiasts. The few predictable plot twists don't significantly detract from the overall enjoyment.
Miracle Oge Adaeze
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-miracle-oge-adaeze.html
Latest Review: The Maple Seed Helicopter by Marco Collina

Post by Miracle Oge Adaeze »

You make Ellie look like a character to look out for in the book. I like characters that make me laugh and smile. I will definitely look out for her. Thank you for the review.
Ryan Chofwe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ryan-chofwe.html
Latest Review: Enlightenment for the Things that Really Matter by Mark Gumbrell
2024 Reading Goal: 100
2024 Goal Completion: 8%

Post by Ryan Chofwe »

For me, this book felt like a movie. I definitely enjoyed, "To master the tides".

Return to “Historical Fiction”