Review of Knowing Simone

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Chinenye Sus
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chinenye-sus.html
Latest Review: Brian, Created Intelligence by AJ Pagan IV

Review of Knowing Simone

Post by Chinenye Sus »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Knowing Simone" by G R McDougall.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Knowing Simone by G. R. McDougall is a book that combines romance and political intrigue set against the backdrop of 19th-century France. It is a book that does an extensive job of portraying its themes perfectly.

The story follows Patrice Monier, a young man who leaves Marseilles for Lectoure and assumes a new identity. However, his life takes a dramatic turn as he becomes entangled with the enigmatic Madame Simone Beaufort and the corrupt Minister Jessai. As secrets unfold and political tensions rise, Patrice finds himself in the midst of a resistance movement against the oppressive regime. The story explores themes of love, loyalty, betrayal, and the pursuit of justice in a turbulent historical context.

What I like about Knowing Simone is its ability to immerse readers in the secrets and mysteries that shroud the characters. The narrative of the book effectively builds suspense, keeping the audience eagerly turning pages to uncover the hidden truths. The portrayal of 19th-century France is vivid and immersive, allowing readers to vividly imagine the streets of Marseilles and Lectoure. The character development in the story is noteworthy, particularly in the case of Patrice and Madame Simone. Their complex personalities, desires, and inner conflicts are skillfully depicted, making them relatable and compelling protagonists. The story also puts together elements of romance and political intrigue, adding depth and complexity to the plot.

There was absolutely nothing I disliked about this book. I am so happy that I read this book because I gained so many historical insights. The author's use of descriptive language and imagery paints a rich and evocative picture of the settings and characters. The story successfully combines historical accuracy with creative storytelling, offering a unique blend of fact and fiction.

This book was professionally edited. I found one error in it. It provides an engaging reading experience that will captivate fans of historical fiction, mystery, and political drama. Readers who enjoy stories of love and resistance against oppressive regimes will like this book. I am rating Knowing Simone 5 out of 5 stars because I had no dislike for the book, whereas I loved everything about it.

Knowing Simone
View: on Bookshelves
Chandrakant Patel
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chandrakant-patel.html
Latest Review: The Unfakeable Code® by Tony Jeton Selimi

Post by Chandrakant Patel »

Knowing Simone expertly combines romance and political intrigue in 19th-century France, with immersive storytelling and well-developed characters.
Miracle Oge Adaeze
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-miracle-oge-adaeze.html
Latest Review: The Maple Seed Helicopter by Marco Collina

Post by Miracle Oge Adaeze »

There's so much going on for this book. There's a mystery that readers are immersed in. There's also suspense to keep the anticipation going. This seems like a well-thought-out book. Thank you for the review.

Return to “Historical Fiction”