Review of Battle Ballad of the Royal Knight

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Chris Alex Powell
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 76
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chris-alex-powell.html
Latest Review: The Fall From Grace by Michael Richardson

Review of Battle Ballad of the Royal Knight

Post by Chris Alex Powell »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Battle Ballad of the Royal Knight" by Robert Murray.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

This book, Battle Ballad of the Royal Knight by Robert Murray, is the third installment in the "Camelot Chronicles" series. It starts with the story of King Elias, who, having earned the unquestionable obedience and devotion of his swordsmen by defeating any opposing troop that dared come their way, is now expected to find a woman who would be his wife and queen. The king sought an omen, a sign from God. Would it be Belinda, or would it be Rosamond, who is already betrothed to his friend? Who would look, cook, and craft a poem as he desired? Whose familiar wisdom and affection would remain even when she's grown rotund? Find out about his dilemma and the different stories of Camelot in this book.

One of the positive sides of the book is that the author made skillful use of literary devices in his work. For instance, on page 9, there was an allegory to the story of David and Beersheba: I do love Bel', and I fear a David May rise in me, and within my breast win. I also spotted some other devices, like alliteration. In addition, I noticed a rhyming pattern most of the time. For instance, in the beginning, it was an ABAB pattern. The narrator told a story that became really interesting as the book progressed.

The issue I had was in the transition from one story to another. I felt the way the narrator jumped from one story to another would leave a reader a bit confused as to what was happening at each point. I had to go back at intervals. This book is a long, continuous read with no pauses and very quick transitions.

While deciding my final rating, I am convinced this is a five-star book. Therefore, I rate this book five out of five stars. This book has no errors. The author's use of literary devices also spiced things up. The negative aspect slowed down my appreciation of the book at first, but I don't think it's compelling enough to take away a star from my rating.

I think those who enjoy narrative poetry would love this book. This book is 190 pages long, and like I mentioned earlier, it's in continuous form without breaks. I would also recommend it to readers who love ballads.

Battle Ballad of the Royal Knight
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Anas Ahmed khan 1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Anas Ahmed khan 1 »

Thank you for sharing your review of "Battle Ballad of the Royal Knight" by Robert Murray. It's great to hear that the author skillfully employed literary devices, such as allegory, alliteration, and rhyme patterns, to enhance the storytelling. These elements can indeed add depth and richness to a narrative.

Your observation about the transitions between different stories in the book is valuable feedback. A smooth flow and clear transitions are important for a reader's engagement and understanding. It's understandable that abrupt shifts can be disorienting. The need to backtrack at times can interrupt the reading experience.

Overall, your review offers both praise and constructive feedback, which is helpful for potential readers and the author. It's a well-balanced evaluation of the book's strengths and areas where it might improve. Thank you for your thoughtful analysis. Your insights will undoubtedly aid others in deciding whether to explore this installment in the "Camelot Chronicles" series.
Leen282
Currently Reading: Live Your Life of Abundance
Bookshelf Size: 135
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leen282.html
Latest Review: Beautifully Scarred by Cewanda Todd

Post by Leen282 »

I am intrigued by the continuous form of the book, and the literary devices mentioned. I am not sure though if it would be the book for me since the storyline, a king having to find his queen, is not so much my taste.
Azaz Raja
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-azaz-raja.html
Latest Review: Jirvania by Jan Anderegg

Post by Azaz Raja »

"Engaging and insightful! This review eloquently captures the essence of 'Battle Ballad of the Royal Knight,' highlighting its literary strengths and acknowledging minor transitions. A compelling recommendation for fans of narrative poetry and ballads. Well done!"
SweetSourSalty AndSpicy
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 240
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sweetsoursalty-andspicy.html
Latest Review: My Trip To Adele by R.I.Alyaseer and A. I Alyaseer

Post by SweetSourSalty AndSpicy »

The book appears to take a unique approach to reviving interest in Arthurian legends. It seems to be ideal for those who like narrative poetry and medieval times.
Ohmy Book
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: You Can Heal Your Life
Bookshelf Size: 72
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ohmy-book.html
Latest Review: Alpha Buddies Land by Donna Marie Rink

Post by Ohmy Book »

This review of "Battle Ballad of the Royal Knight" by Robert Murray highlights several positive aspects of the book. The reviewer commends the author's skillful use of literary devices, such as allegory, alliteration, and consistent rhyming patterns, which enrich the storytelling experience. They also acknowledge the intriguing narrative that unfolds throughout the book, capturing the reader's interest as it progresses.

Additionally, the reviewer provides constructive feedback regarding the transitions between different storylines, noting that it could sometimes be confusing for readers. Despite this minor issue, they ultimately rate the book a perfect five out of five stars, emphasizing its overall quality and the absence of errors.

It's evident that the reviewer appreciates the unique qualities of this narrative poetry and recommends it to readers who enjoy such storytelling styles. They also suggest it to fans of ballads, acknowledging its continuous format and immersive storytelling.

Overall, this review provides valuable insights for potential readers while expressing appreciation for the author's craftsmanship. Thank you to the reviewer for their thoughtful analysis and recommendation of "Battle Ballad of the Royal Knight."
Tomy Chandrafrost
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tomy-chandrafrost.html
Latest Review: UNEMPLOYABLE by Alysia Edith Silberg

Post by Tomy Chandrafrost »

Since childhood, I've always loved stories about medieval battles. I also enjoy books that use a lot of figurative language to enrich my language skills. I look forward to plot twists and unexpected stories in this book. Thank you for writing the review. :D
Loice Akello
Currently Reading: The unfakeable
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-loice-akello.html
Latest Review: Phobia Relief by Kalliope Barlis
2024 Reading Goal: 8
2024 Goal Completion: 62%

Post by Loice Akello »

This book centres on authorities, their high ranks with all the due respect accorded. Whilst torn between the impact of their decisions to the world and their unquestionable self relief during tuff times. "Battle Ballad of the Royal Knight" helps us see the struggles those in authority undergo beyond their paradise stay.
María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Kristin Hannah
Favorite Book: The Nightingale
Currently Reading: The Mothers
Bookshelf Size: 2401
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mar-a-andrea-fern-ndez-sep-lveda.html
Latest Review: You Say Goodbye by Keith Steinbaum
fav_author_id: 5604

Post by María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda »

Smooth transitions can really help create an immersive reading experience. I'm not much into poetry but I think it's the appropriate genre to present a Camelot story.
Thank you!
DUNCAN TSHEPANG MATHEBULA
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-duncan-tshepang-mathebula.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by DUNCAN TSHEPANG MATHEBULA »

The book sounds interesting. It starts with the story of King Elias, who, having earned the unquestionable obedience and devotion of his swordsmen by defeating any opposing troop that dared come their way, is now expected to find a woman who would be his wife and queen.
Amy Luman
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 2084
Bookshelf Size: 1017
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: Time Before Time by Dan DuBose
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

I do like a story that involves a major decision by the main character. Books about this time period, however, don’t seem to hold my interest for long. Knights and kings are just not what I look for in a book. I’m glad that this type of literature is here for those that do, though. Congratulations on BOTD!
Mole128
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Mole128 »

This book, Battle Ballad of the Royal Knight by Robert Murray, is the third installment in the "Camelot Chronicles" series. It starts with the story of King Elias, who, having earned the unquestionable obedience and devotion of his swordsmen by defeating any opposing troop that dared come their way, is now expected to find a woman who would be his wife and queen.
valentiareshoketswe
Currently Reading: Fifty Shades of Grey
Bookshelf Size: 4

Post by valentiareshoketswe »

This book, Battle Ballad of the Royal Knight by Robert Murray, is the third installment in the "Camelot Chronicles" series. It starts with the story of King Elias, who, having earned the unquestionable obedience and devotion of his swordsmen by defeating any opposing troop that dared come their way, is now expected to find a woman who would be his wife and queen. The review is insightful.
Sushan Ekanayake
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Uplifting The Pain of Behavioral and Learning Styles Through Poetry Now
Bookshelf Size: 408
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sushan-ekanayake.html
Latest Review: Unsettled Disruption by Juana Catalina Rodriguez
Reading Device: B0794JC2K5

Post by Sushan Ekanayake »

Dive into the dilemmas of Camelot in 'Battle Ballad of the Royal Knight' by Robert Murray. A poetic journey in the 'Camelot Chronicles' series, where allegory and rhyme enrich the legendary tales. Congratulations on being BOTD!
We all need people who will give us feedback. That’s how we improve.

- Bill Gates -

:lire4: $u$han €kanayak€ :text-feedback:
Paris Kumar
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 489
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-paris-kumar.html
Latest Review: 480 Codorus Street by Sandra L. Kearse-Stockton
2024 Reading Goal: 200
2024 Goal Completion: 30%

Post by Paris Kumar »

This comprehensive review of "Battle Ballad of the Royal Knight" adeptly highlights its literary strengths and minor shortcomings, offering valuable insights for potential readers. Thank you for your great review! Congratulations on being BOTD!
The greatest part of a writer’s time is spent in reading, in order to write; a man will turn over half a library to make one book.
—Samuel Johnson

I am happy to be a part of the OnlineBookClub.

Return to “Historical Fiction”