Review of Kate's War

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Kirsi Cultrera
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Then Comes The Flood
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kirsi-cultrera.html
Latest Review: Remembering Stardust by C. D. Baker

Review of Kate's War

Post by Kirsi Cultrera »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Kate's War" by Linda Stewart Henley.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Kate Murphy sings like an angel. Unfortunately, she has a speech disability that prevents her from thriving with her ambition to become a professional singer. Instead, this young English woman teaches music to girls at school and plans to pursue her other big dream; she has decided to move out of her parent's house with her best friend, Sybil. It is the year 1939 in Carshalton, England. One beautiful September morning, Kate is ready to share the news with her parents. She finds them with Ryan, her little brother, sitting in front of the radio. The Prime Minister, Neville Chamberlain, delivers the news nobody wants to hear: Great Britain is at war with Germany. At that moment, Kate sees her plans vanish like a puff of breath into thin air.

The war has surprising effects on everyone. Kate feels trapped with her dreams crashing, relationships becoming more complicated, and even her love life tangled up. Her fragile mother is wandering around the house, shedding endless tears. Ryan is excited about evacuation plans for children, and Sybil becomes all mysterious about her new plans. Kate discovers an entirely new side of herself when one of her students from school appears on her doorstep late one evening. Hannah, a young Jewish girl, is frightened and suddenly alone in the world; something terrible has happened to her parents. How does life unfold for Kate, Hannah, Kate's family, and her peers in the turmoil of World War II?

Kate's War: A Novel by Linda Stewart Henley is a touching picture of the times. It is a story of a young woman growing into adulthood during the challenging war years. Her deep sense of responsibility, the raging war, and her complicated relationship with her mother influence Kate's decisions about her life and even romantic relationships. The war is an unwelcome intruder, confounding their lives. Everyone has to find their path during these historical events, even when survival is not guaranteed.

Despite the war theme, this book was an uplifting read. For a reader who has visited Great Britain only briefly, it appeared as if the author had successfully managed to capture the authentic British atmosphere and mentality. I thoroughly enjoyed the reading experience. For a change, it was intriguing to observe the effects of war on regular people instead of reading about the doings of war heroes at the battlefront. Somehow, the horrors and depression of the war did not transpire with full force via this author's writing; they came through the lines in bearable doses. Instead, ordinary people's everyday lives and small but often heroic actions were much more at the center of this story.

My favorite character in this book was undoubtedly Kate's mother. Despite her nervousness and vulnerability, she showed more strength and wisdom as the story proceeded. I found myself cheering at her actions and surprising reactions throughout the book. I smiled at the scene where the government's tea rationing threatened her tea-drinking habits. This book bundled several exciting features of people's lives during the war. However, the most intriguing detail for me was the development of the relationship between Kate and her mother.

The author exploited her father's unpublished memoir to inspire some events in this book. The story is fictional, but the author's unique background information adds credibility to her storytelling. I found absolutely nothing to dislike in this marvelous book. Therefore, I rate it 5 out of 5 stars. The editors had done a beautiful job; I only discovered a few minor errors. I utterly enjoyed following the life of Kate, her peers, and her family. Reading about their doings lifted my spirits. In addition, this book served as an eye-opener. I have read tens of stories from the front line, but I haven't ever before actively thought about how much war affects those staying at the home front. This book helped me to understand a whole new side of war.

I recommend Kate's War: A Novel by Linda Stewart Henley to readers who enjoy reading historical fiction, family drama, and stories of personal growth.

Kate's War
View: on Bookshelves
Kirsi
Jennifer Coxon
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Cancer, Faith & Butterflies
Bookshelf Size: 65
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jennifer-coxon.html
Latest Review: Love Letters to the Virgin Mary by David Richards
2024 Reading Goal: 15
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by Jennifer Coxon »

I do love a story set in the war. You are right, most tend to focus on some heroic act being undertaken to progress the war effort, but some of the most heartwarming stories are those of the everyday person - Goodnight Mr Tom comes to mind as a favourite.

I like that you were able to identify a favourite character, surprised as you may be that it was the mother.

Great review.
Kirsi Cultrera

Post by Kirsi Cultrera »

Jennifer Coxon wrote: 12 Nov 2023, 15:05 I do love a story set in the war. You are right, most tend to focus on some heroic act being undertaken to progress the war effort, but some of the most heartwarming stories are those of the everyday person - Goodnight Mr Tom comes to mind as a favourite.

I like that you were able to identify a favourite character, surprised as you may be that it was the mother.

Great review.
I haven't read Goodnight Mr Tom yet, I might have to check that one out. Thanks for the tip, and thank you for taking the time to read and comment my review! :)
Kirsi
Bettny Andrade
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bettny-andrade.html
Latest Review: The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden by Londyn Skye

Post by Bettny Andrade »

It gives me chills to think about what Kate could have gone through. It's amazing how things can change so quickly and surprisingly. Thanks for your review.
Kirsi Cultrera

Post by Kirsi Cultrera »

Bettny Andrade wrote: 13 Nov 2023, 14:24 It gives me chills to think about what Kate could have gone through. It's amazing how things can change so quickly and surprisingly. Thanks for your review.
Thank you for taking the time to read my review! :)
Kirsi
Cara Wilding
Favorite Book: Sierra Six
Currently Reading: Global Vice
Bookshelf Size: 101
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cara-wilding.html
Latest Review: Family Business by James Jack Fauser
2024 Reading Goal: 150
2024 Goal Completion: 7%

Post by Cara Wilding »

Kirsi Cultrera wrote: 10 Nov 2023, 04:39 [Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Kate's War" by Linda Stewart Henley.]

Kate Murphy sings like an angel. Unfortunately, she has a speech disability that prevents her from thriving with her ambition to become a professional singer. Instead, this young English woman teaches music to girls at school and plans to pursue her other big dream; she has decided to move out of her parent's house with her best friend, Sybil. It is the year 1939 in Carshalton, England. One beautiful September morning, Kate is ready to share the news with her parents. She finds them with Ryan, her little brother, sitting in front of the radio. The Prime Minister, Neville Chamberlain, delivers the news nobody wants to hear: Great Britain is at war with Germany. At that moment, Kate sees her plans vanish like a puff of breath into thin air.

The war has surprising effects on everyone. Kate feels trapped with her dreams crashing, relationships becoming more complicated, and even her love life tangled up. Her fragile mother is wandering around the house, shedding endless tears. Ryan is excited about evacuation plans for children, and Sybil becomes all mysterious about her new plans. Kate discovers an entirely new side of herself when one of her students from school appears on her doorstep late one evening. Hannah, a young Jewish girl, is frightened and suddenly alone in the world; something terrible has happened to her parents. How does life unfold for Kate, Hannah, Kate's family, and her peers in the turmoil of World War II?

Kate's War: A Novel by Linda Stewart Henley is a touching picture of the times. It is a story of a young woman growing into adulthood during the challenging war years. Her deep sense of responsibility, the raging war, and her complicated relationship with her mother influence Kate's decisions about her life and even romantic relationships. The war is an unwelcome intruder, confounding their lives. Everyone has to find their path during these historical events, even when survival is not guaranteed.
Your review's opening had my heart lifted, before it dropped out with news of the war. These stories from times of conflict often land children with more responsibility than is imaginable. I love reading about how different people receive and respond to adversity. This book seems to have a focus on relationships between the characters rather than the war itself. I'm glad it proved to be more of an uplifting read for you and the author was able to manage the somber moments. I just might have to add this to my reading list. When I first started reading your review, I was sure it was non-fiction...and then remembered what genre I was reading in! The author did a great job in creating a story that seems absolutely real, even in a review! I enjoyed reading your thoughts on this book, thanks for sharing it with us! Until next time...
Ayoub lemmaghi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Ayoub lemmaghi »

Set against the backdrop of World War II, the book delves into themes of love, loss, resilience, and the enduring power of the human spirit. At the heart of the novel is Kate, a strong and determined protagonist who finds herself navigating the realities of war, and its aftermath and is forced to put her dream of a singing career on hold when war breaks out. Her journey is compelling, and readers are likely to empathize with her struggles and triumphs. She also develops a close friendship with a young Jewish girl, who has been forced to flee her home in Germany. The characters are well-developed and feel genuine, making it easy to become emotionally invested in their fates.
Linda Stewart Henley's writing style is emotive and immersive, capturing the atmosphere of the period with vivid detail. The historical setting is brought to life through rich descriptions of the era, from the challenges of wartime to the cultural norms and societal expectations. The novel portrays the hardships and sacrifices faced by those left behind, as well as the difficulties and traumas endured by soldiers. The intricate dynamics between the role-players showcase the nuances of love, loyalty, and the obstacles that arise during trying times.
Kirui Collins
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 79
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kirui-collins.html
Latest Review: Zen and the Art of Writing by Ray Hodgson

Post by Kirui Collins »

Kate has gone through a lot even while struggling to bring out her singing talent.Thanks for the review.

Return to “Historical Fiction”