Review of Out of the Darkness

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Nenye Charles
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 85
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nenye-charles.html
Latest Review: Snatched Up to Heaven for Kids by Jemima Paul, Arvind Paul

Review of Out of the Darkness

Post by Nenye Charles »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Out of the Darkness" by David A Jacinto.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

“Out of the Darkness” by David A. Jacinto is a novel that revolves around Thomas Wright and his family. When Thomas clocks seven, he joins his father to work in the mines. A tragic incident occurs, which changes his life forever. The author uses this book as a medium to educate the readers on the horrors, struggles, sufferings, and pains coal miners and their families passed through.

The author uses a first-person narrative to thrill his audience. I was attracted by the book’s cover, as the young boy’s face depicted pain and sorrow. Martha, Tom’s mother, is a definition of a woman who stands for what is right, irrespective of the situation. This was portrayed when she stood up to Candyman Boo Black, a notorious thug who works under Lord Fitzwilliam. I also like that she never accepted that her son would end up being a miner, like his dad and grandfather. She understood the value of education and taught Thomas how to properly read and write in English.

I admire the author’s writing style. It felt like I was living Tommy’s experience with him, especially with the fear and panic he faced on his first day of work. I was amused when he told his dad he didn’t want to think of rats as his best friends. His ability to make light of the horrid situation at the mines is something I admire. I laughed when he named the biggest rat ‘Barnabas Bumble’.

I felt bad for the disparity between the rich and poor, evident in the amount of food in Lord Fitzwilliam’s kitchen, including the massive mansion he lived in. Thomas falls in love with Lydia. They plan to move to America and live their best lives. However, a tragic event truncated his dreams with Lydia. He eventually gets married to Annie, an intelligent young lady who dotes on him. I particularly enjoyed her discussions with Thomas about President Lincoln.

Another tragic explosion occurs at the Oak Colliery, claiming more than hundreds of lives. This enrages Thomas, who decides to testify against Lord Fitzwilliams and others in court. This, however, comes with adverse consequences, as Candyman Boo Black sets the family house ablaze. Get a copy to find out if members of Wright's family survived. I love that justice was served through the help of Bishop Walker, among others.

There was nothing to dislike about this book. It tells a lot about the pain the coal miners and their families passed through. I didn’t find a single error in the book. Therefore, it’s professionally edited.

I rate this 5 out of 5 stars, as there’s no reason to deduct any points whatsoever. I recommend it to readers who enjoy reading about the adventures of coal miners during the 18th century. Those who wish to adopt good family values should also read this book.

Out of the Darkness
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Kirui Collins
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 79
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kirui-collins.html
Latest Review: Zen and the Art of Writing by Ray Hodgson

Post by Kirui Collins »

A mother who stands for herself and encourages her son to study. Thanks for the review.
Nenye Charles
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 85
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nenye-charles.html
Latest Review: Snatched Up to Heaven for Kids by Jemima Paul, Arvind Paul

Post by Nenye Charles »

Kirui Collins wrote: 17 Nov 2023, 05:28 A mother who stands for herself and encourages her son to study. Thanks for the review.
I’m glad you read through. Thanks for stopping by.
Donaldo cris
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-donaldo-cris.html
Latest Review: From Drift to SHIFT by Jody B. Miller

Post by Donaldo cris »

Your review of "Out of the Darkness" by David A. Jacinto encapsulates the novel's compelling narrative, highlighting the struggles and hardships faced by coal miners and their families. It praises the author's skillful storytelling, vividly capturing the characters' emotions and experiences while exploring themes of social injustice, resilience, and the pursuit of justice.
Enjani Matendeko
Currently Reading: Nightlord
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-enjani-matendeko.html
Latest Review: Running For One's Life by Lauren Jedlan

Post by Enjani Matendeko »

The tenacity of a mother can go a long way to change a child's life. It will be enlightening to read about the life and challenges of coal miners.
Glory_C
Currently Reading: Keysha's Drama
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-glory-c.html
Latest Review: Bluewater Walkabout by Tina Dreffin

Post by Glory_C »

I really enjoyed reading your review, as it provides good insight into the book. I would surely add this to my waiting book list. Thanks for such a detailed review. This book really touched me, as miners really suffered.
Colleado Keana Rose
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-colleado-keana-rose.html
Latest Review: Rise and Conquer by Juan Partida

Post by Colleado Keana Rose »

Absolutely, exploring the resilience and determination of a mother in the challenging context of coal mining promises to provide insightful perspectives on both maternal strength and the struggles faced by coal miners. I look forward to delving into the narrative to gain a deeper understanding of these themes.

Return to “Historical Fiction”