Review of An Island long ago

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Kelsey Fulton
Favorite Book: Villette
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 97
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kelsey-fulton.html
Latest Review: Man Shark by Gerald Knight
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Review of An Island long ago

Post by Kelsey Fulton »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "An Island long ago" by Julie Feingold.]
Book Cover
3 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

An Island Long Ago by Julie Feingold is a piece of historical fiction set in the Philippines and spanning over a century, from the 1800s to the 1960s. From the prologue to the epilogue, readers are introduced to six generations of a family, naturally with others entering and leaving their lives. The backdrop of the story changes significantly through Spanish colonialism and American occupation, as political unrest surrounds the island. The numerous characters fall in love, betray each other, succumb to jealousy, and become engaged in the war efforts. The connection that binds them is not just circumstance, but fate - all in the form of an ivory comb given to a young, lovestruck man by an old, wise jeweler.

Feingold's novel is noble in its intent. It recounts major historical events, such as the Spanish-American war, in a simple and easy-to-understand manner. Additionally, non-English words are explained and clarified in the narrative. Readers can follow the historical aspects of the book with little or no outside reference, but the details may entice readers to learn more on their own. I can appreciate any written work that leads to further exploration of a topic.

Despite the book's strength as a good introduction to Philippian history, Feingold may have attempted to do too much in less than 300 pages. There are at least 22 prominent characters, and only a few have traits that make them stand out from the others. The characters also have virtually no development throughout the story; they remain the same as when they were first introduced. I had a hard time imagining any of them as real people that I could connect with. This resulted in their emotions and experiences staying stubbornly on the page instead of drawing me in.

Overall, An Island Long Ago has great promise, but it doesn't deliver as an immersive or engaging read. For these reasons, I rate the book 3 out of 5 stars. I recommend it to readers who want a taste of Philippian history or who enjoy family drama from a distance.

An Island long ago
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
"Everything is nothing, with a twist." -Kurt Vonnegut
Omugeye Nanfuka
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 8
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-omugeye-nanfuka.html
Latest Review: Snatched Up to Heaven! by Jemima Paul and Arvind Paul

Post by Omugeye Nanfuka »

Wonderful review!
Samuel Falle
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samuel-falle.html
Latest Review: The Power of Conscious Connection by Talia Fox

Post by Samuel Falle »

This review appreciated the book and applauded the author for doing a great job in creating it. Based on the pleasant impression the author's writing created, the reviewer also did well in making me want to include the book on my bookshelf.
Samuel Falle
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samuel-falle.html
Latest Review: The Power of Conscious Connection by Talia Fox

Post by Samuel Falle »

This review appreciated the book and applauded the author for doing a great job in creating it. Based on the pleasant impression the author's writing created, the reviewer also did well in making me want to include the book on my bookshelf.
Jay Lu
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Magi Apprentice
Bookshelf Size: 62
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jay-lu.html
Latest Review: Casindra Lost by Marti Ward

Post by Jay Lu »

Your review of 'An Island Long Ago' offers a clear perspective on its strengths and weaknesses. The attempt to weave Philippine history into a multi-generational family saga is ambitious, yet it seems the lack of character development and the book's brevity hinder its potential. It's insightful to note that, despite these issues, the novel could still serve as a springboard for readers to explore Philippine history further.
Conshelle Dwight William
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-conshelle-dwight-william.html
Latest Review: The Receptionist by Marie-Paul Corelli

Post by Conshelle Dwight William »

"An Island Long Ago" by Julie Feingold offers a historical journey spanning centuries in the Philippines. The review commendably captures the novel's noble intent, providing a simplified insight into complex historical events. However, the critique of character depth and limited development suggests the ambitious scope may hinder the immersive experience.
Aaron Joseph Maupin
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aaron-joseph-maupin.html
Latest Review: By The Rivers of Babylon by Mary Glickman

Post by Aaron Joseph Maupin »

This review provides a fair assessment of "Share An Island Long Ago" by Julie Feingold. While it offers valuable insights into the book's historical aspect and the author's intentions, it acknowledges flaws regarding character development and immersion. The review may be helpful for readers interested in Philippine history or seeking distant family drama. It is sufficient, but may not strongly motivate someone to purchase the book. As a result, it may not be a crucial addition to everyone's library based on the reviewer's perspective.

Return to “Historical Fiction”