Review of The 13th of Summer

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Jane Honda
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jane-honda.html
Latest Review: Inspirational Love by Vernon John Sinnott

Review of The 13th of Summer

Post by Jane Honda »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The 13th of Summer" by C.L. Pratt.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Imagine coming back to your childhood town after decades away. In The 13th of Summer by C.L. Pratt, Lloyd Bader returns to South Dakota, reminiscing about the prairie, friendships, and the bittersweet moments of life. This journey explores the ties that bind us to our roots and the enduring impact of love and loss.

In the vast and unforgiving landscapes of South Dakota, this book unfolds, centred around the lives of characters like Betty, Alfred, Etta, and Lloyd Bader. In the heart of the prairie, their stories interweave through joys, losses, and the relentless challenges thrown by Mother Nature. Alfred, grappling with the harshness of the environment, faces personal tragedies yet emerges resilient, drawing strength from the stoicism of prairie men. Betty, a spunky South Dakota girl, shares a deep connection with her siblings and navigates life's complexities in a close-knit community. Amidst the hardships, Lloyd Bader, a figure of quiet strength, reflects on his past, evoking emotions and resilience from the prairie men. The narrative unfolds with unexpected twists, highlighting the profound impact of love, loss, and the unyielding spirit of the South Dakota Prairie. As secrets unravel and unforeseen circumstances shape destinies, this book captures the essence of life on the prairie. It’s a book you would love to read.

The book beautifully captures the essence of South Dakota with evocative descriptions of the prairie landscape. The story delves into the resilience of the human spirit, especially in the face of adversity. Whether it's Alfred overcoming personal losses or Lloyd finding solace in returning to his roots, the book celebrates the strength of its characters. The book's writing style further enhances its appeal, offering a seamless blend of simplicity. The author employs straightforward and accessible language, making the narrative easily understood by readers from various backgrounds. The book was also properly edited, as I didn't encounter errors while reading. The narrative keeps readers engaged with unexpected twists and turns. For example, Johnny's decision to join the Navy and the subsequent revelation about his connection to Willow add layers of complexity to the plot. These positive elements contribute to the book's appeal, creating a memorable reading experience that resonates with a wide audience.

This book employs a non-linear narrative, shifting between different characters and timelines, which may require careful attention to follow. This is subjective, as someone could find it positive. Hence, I would not be deducting any stars, as the negative is not a major one. Therefore, I would give this book a rating of five out of five stars. This book would please those who enjoy historical fiction.

The 13th of Summer
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Samuel Falle
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samuel-falle.html
Latest Review: The Power of Conscious Connection by Talia Fox

Post by Samuel Falle »

This review appreciated the book and applauded the author for doing a great job in creating it. Based on the pleasant impression the author's writing created, the reviewer also did well in making me want to include the book on my bookshelf.
Samuel Falle
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samuel-falle.html
Latest Review: The Power of Conscious Connection by Talia Fox

Post by Samuel Falle »

This review appreciated the book and applauded the author for doing a great job in creating it. Based on the pleasant impression the author's writing created, the reviewer also did well in making me want to include the book on my bookshelf.
Geralt_99
Currently Reading: Artwords
Bookshelf Size: 21

Post by Geralt_99 »

The intricate portrayal of South Dakota's prairie life, coupled with the resilience of characters like Alfred and Lloyd, seems compelling. The seamless blend of simplicity in writing and unexpected twists adds to its charm. The non-linear narrative, though potentially challenging, doesn't detract from the overall positive experience. Thank you for the comprehensive review of C.L. Pratt's "The 13th of Summer."
Jay Lu
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Magi Apprentice
Bookshelf Size: 62
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jay-lu.html
Latest Review: Casindra Lost by Marti Ward

Post by Jay Lu »

Immersed in 'The 13th of Summer' by C.L. Pratt – a beautifully crafted story of love, loss, and life in South Dakota. The resilience of its characters amidst prairie challenges is inspiring. A must-read for historical fiction fans!
Donaking
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12

Post by Donaking »

Based on the review, "The 13th of Summer" by C.L. Pratt seems like a captivating read. The book beautifully captures the essence of South Dakota, with evocative descriptions of the landscape. The narrative explores the enduring impact of love and loss, interweaving the lives of intriguing characters. The book's accessible language and unexpected twists keep readers engaged, offering a memorable reading experience. Overall, it appears to be a highly recommended historical fiction novel.
Kelvin Suraj
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18

Post by Kelvin Suraj »

I'm looking forward to reading this book. Kudos on your review. It's quite engaging and detailed. I will give this a try.
Malachi Chukwuebuka Nelson
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-malachi-chukwuebuka-nelson.html
Latest Review: Bluewater Walkabout by Tina Dreffin

Post by Malachi Chukwuebuka Nelson »

Thank you for the comprehensive review of C.L. Pratt's "The 13th of Summer." Im looking forward to reading it someday.

Return to “Historical Fiction”