Review of A Fine Line

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Lisa P Cowling
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lisa-p-cowling.html
Latest Review: The one that kills you by Rick Rothermel

Review of A Fine Line

Post by Lisa P Cowling »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "A Fine Line" by David Gilbertson.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

A Fine Line by David Gilbertson is a novel comprised of four books set in Britain between 1850 and 1918. Book One kicks off with the Ranelagh family and the contribution of their wealth to society. Book Two and Three capture the story of the lives of two young women, Jane Gemmill and Elizabeth Bentley, childhood friends who grow up to navigate the world around them in their respective countries. Book Four details the country’s situation, with nations at war.

The challenges of generations moving from the 18th to the 19th century are chronicled in this book, as are all of their hardships in the new era that they encounter, including industrialization, war, and slavery. The skillful storytelling by the author of these characters compels one to expectantly turn pages.

David Gilbertson's writing style is amazing. This is a classic novel and it won't be a surprise if it becomes a bestseller. I am not one to give plenty of compliments but this is about the best book I've read in a long while. I found the use of suspense particularly interesting; throughout, I found myself keen on knowing the next move, step, and course of action of each character. The author's ability to introduce elements of surprise at the beginning or end of a chapter unexpectedly is astonishing.

Usually, I am one to guess right about books, but I was always taken by surprise at every turn. I would warn you that you wouldn't see anything coming. I would say the pacing is great and the author did well with the character development.

I don’t have any negative comments about this book. The author brilliantly executed the arc of the characters. I rate this book a 5 out of 5. The reason for my rating is because it is very intriguing and void of errors. The major influence on my rating is the unpredictability and suspense that come with the book.

I recommend this book to lovers of the Victorian period and war novels.

A Fine Line
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Timothy Gye
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-timothy-gye.html
Latest Review: Original Wisdom by Donna Bond

Post by Timothy Gye »

Thank you for sharing your insightful review, Your detailed analysis highlights the author's skillful blend of science and marketing concepts, enriched by engaging personal anecdotes. It's encouraging to see the positive impact of real-world examples and the effectiveness of practical insights. Your thorough appreciation, including the absence of dislikes and recognition of the well-edited content, reinforces the book's value. Your 5-star rating and recommendation make a compelling case for readers!
Timothy Gye
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-timothy-gye.html
Latest Review: Original Wisdom by Donna Bond

Post by Timothy Gye »

Thank you for sharing your insightful review, Your detailed analysis highlights the author's skillful blend of science and marketing concepts, enriched by engaging personal anecdotes. It's encouraging to see the positive impact of real-world examples and the effectiveness of practical insights. Your thorough appreciation, including the absence of dislikes and recognition of the well-edited content, reinforces the book's value. Your 5-star rating and recommendation make a compelling case for readers!
Ibraheem Rasheedat
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-donald-cecil-hufstedler.html
Latest Review: Running For One's Life by Lauren Jedlan

Post by Ibraheem Rasheedat »

Based on the review, "Share A Fine Line" by David Gilbertson seems to be an excellent read. The reviewer praises the skillful storytelling, amazing writing style, and the use of suspense throughout the book. The characters are well-developed, and the pacing is great. The reviewer found the book intriguing, with unexpected twists and turns, and highly recommends it to fans of the Victorian period and war novels. Overall, "Share A Fine Line" appears to be a captivating and well-executed novel.
Pranav Dewangan
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: The Science of Storytelling
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pranav-dewangan.html
Latest Review: The MISOGI Method by Jody B. Miller

Post by Pranav Dewangan »

I stumbled upon 'A Fine Line' after reading your review, and I must say, the anticipation you described has me hooked already! The seamless blend of historical context, suspense, and unpredictable twists is exactly what I crave in a novel. David Gilbertson's storytelling prowess seems unmatched, and your excitement about the characters' development and the unexpected surprises has me eager to dive into this captivating journey through 19th-century Britain.

Return to “Historical Fiction”