Review of The Wedding Quilt

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Merits Anih
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 152
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-merits-anih.html
Latest Review: Behind the Eyes of Zylo Moon by David Nathaniel Nealis

Review of The Wedding Quilt

Post by Merits Anih »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Wedding Quilt" by Gloria Dawn.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Bluebird's family are Indians and White military men raid their village and wipe out everyone. It was her and her brother's luck that they went out with their grandparents that very day; if not, they would have been dead, too. One day, as she and her brother were hunting for food, two military men came up to her and almost raped her, if not for the timely intervention of Raven, her brother, who killed them with his arrow. This made the four (Bluebird, her brother, and her grandparents) fugitives again heading to the Canadian border before the rest of the troupe caught up with them or found out they killed their men. Such is the story of Bluebird and what Whitemen have done to them.

When they got to the Canadian border, they settled in a valley that belonged to the Lawson family. It was while Jamie was accompanying his brother Marty to find a particular horse, which he admires, that they met Bluebird for the first time, trapped by a log further down their lands. Although their first meeting was tense because Bluebird feared Whitemen because of what they did to her people and her, the Lawson boys made it clear that they wouldn't hurt her. Instead, they helped lift the log off her and took her home, and the rest of the Lawson family welcomed them to their land. Right from the first day they met, Bluebird and Jamie fancied themselves discreetly. The connection was evident. But will Bluebird step above her fear and disdain for Whites and give their connection a chance to blossom? Grab a copy of The Wedding Quilt by Gloria Dawn to find out.

The biggest lesson I learned from this book is that it is not the color of a person's skin that matters, nor their tribe, race, or lineage. A bad person is a bad person, and a good person is a good person. It is an individual thing. It is always good not to let our past experiences stop us from experiencing present happiness. Life is too short; do not deprive yourself of happiness. I love that the story was told from two points of view: those of Bluebird and Jamie Lawson. This allowed me to connect individually with them and see their love story from both angles. I loved the sort of people Jamie's family are, as they were not hostile to their new neighbors, nor were they exploited. The good energy they gave brought back good energy.

Even though I love this book very much, there is one thing that I don't like. The book is fast-paced, with time running so fast. Many summers and moons come and go very fast, as if the end of the story is in a hurry to arrive, just as it was at the beginning. However, this is minor compared to the positive aspects. Hence, I am rating the book 5 out of 5 stars. I recommend The Wedding Quilt by Gloria Dawn to those who love romance books. I also appreciate the author for making sure that the book was exceptionally well edited.

The Wedding Quilt
View: on Bookshelves
Naushin Moledina
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Canterville Ghost
Currently Reading: Boundaries
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-naushin-moledina.html
Latest Review: Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless by Mitzi Perdue
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 18%

Post by Naushin Moledina »

The wedding quilt seems like an interesting story. You have clearly mentioned the positive and negative aspects of the book. I appreciate that. Thank you so much for an honest review. I also love the way you explained that the story has two point of views.
To hate is an easy lazy thing, but to love takes strength everyone has, but not all are willing to practice
Tobi Adefila
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tobi-adefila.html
Latest Review: Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise by John K Danenbarger
2024 Reading Goal: 20
2024 Goal Completion: 20%

Post by Tobi Adefila »

This will definitely be an interesting story to read. I really wish to know how Bluebird and her family will end up conquering the whites.
Thanks for this lovely review.
Lilo n Stitch
Currently Reading: Love Letters to the Virgin Mary
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lilo-n-stitch.html
Latest Review: Tour of Duty by William H. Coles

Post by Lilo n Stitch »

This sounds like a gripping story. The intense experiences Bluebird and her family went through must have made for a compelling narrative. Your point about not letting past experiences hinder present happiness is so true. Life's too short for that.

The fast-paced aspect is a bit of a bummer, but if the positives outweigh it, I guess it's worth the ride.Thanks for the recommendation.
Ibraheem Rasheedat
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-donald-cecil-hufstedler.html
Latest Review: Running For One's Life by Lauren Jedlan

Post by Ibraheem Rasheedat »

Based on the review, "The Wedding Quilt" by Gloria Dawn appears to be a good read. The reviewer mentions being captivated by the story told from two points of view, finding the connection between the main characters intriguing, and appreciating the positive portrayal of the Lawson family. Although the fast-paced timeline is mentioned as a minor drawback, the overall impression is highly positive, resulting in a 5 out of 5 star rating. This book is recommended to those who enjoy romance novels. Additionally, the praise for exceptional editing is noted.
Pranav Dewangan
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: The Science of Storytelling
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pranav-dewangan.html
Latest Review: The MISOGI Method by Jody B. Miller

Post by Pranav Dewangan »

The tension in Bluebird and Jamie's first encounter, coupled with the lesson on judging individuals beyond their appearances, has me eager to explore their unique love story. I appreciate the dual perspectives, providing a deeper connection with the characters. While the fast-paced nature is a minor drawback, your overall enthusiasm and the 5-star rating assure me of an enjoyable read.

Return to “Historical Fiction”