Review of Chasing His Destiny

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Seetha E
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: The prodigy slave
Bookshelf Size: 172
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-seetha-e.html
Latest Review: The Reverend Psychopath by Dr Andrew Rynne

Review of Chasing His Destiny

Post by Seetha E »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Chasing His Destiny" by John W. Roberts.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

The book Chasing His Destiny begins with the miraculous birth of Eugene Lawrence Wright. His mother, Angelica, believes that Beulah was sent by God to save them both during childbirth. This event becomes the talk of the African American community in Dillard, South Carolina. As a young child, Eugene proves to be exceptionally gifted academically and outperforms his teachers. Everyone around him believes he is destined for great things.

Beulah had a significant impact on Eugene's life and discussed destiny with him, something he did not comprehend at the time. Unfortunately, Beulah dies when Eugene is still a boy. Following this, he finds a new friend and confidant in James Wilson Wright, his father. Little Eugene is more than willing to continue understanding more about destiny. But shortly afterward, Eugene's father also passes away. At the tender age of ten, Eugene loses two of his most influential figures. Armed with high aspirations and cryptic advice, he embarks on a mission to uncover his true purpose while still working to fulfill his father's dreams.

Where does Eugene's journey take him, and how does it end? I encourage you to pick up a copy of the beautifully written book, Chasing His Destiny, authored by John W. Roberts.

I appreciate the author's writing style, which is simple yet captivating, giving the book a realistic feel, almost like a biography. The author skillfully portrays the protagonist's internal conflicts, insecurities, and beautiful bonds he shares at different stages of his life. The protective affection of his parents and Beulah and the bonds he shares with friends, colleagues, mentors, mentees, and love interests are strikingly relatable.

The story narrates one incident after another, describing Eugene's professional success. The author highlights how the protagonist continuously challenges himself and excels at responsibilities, even in unfamiliar territory. I appreciate this quality being emphasized. We are all blessed in different ways, and it is for us to work towards making the best of what we have, finding joy in improving it, and considering it our responsibility to give back in whatever way possible.

Despite his achievements, Eugene still feels unfulfilled and unsure of his destiny. He's also struggling with loneliness, which is a common experience in today's world. Many people feel like they are aimlessly running through life without a clear purpose, causing them to miss out on the big and small joys around them. This aspect is dealt with very well, making the story relevant to anyone looking for a more meaningful and satisfying life. I loved the character development and the way this story advances. The author does not mince words, and the book undoubtedly provides insight for individuals on their path to destiny.

I did find a few minor errors in the book. These errors can be addressed in the next round of editing to ensure an error-free book. I must add that the book is professionally edited. I recommend an index page with the chapter numbers, names, and page numbers for easy access if and when needed. However, the errors and the lack of an index page do not call for a reduced rating. Since I have no negative comments about the plot, writing style, or the way the storyline progresses, I rate this book five out of five stars.

I highly recommend this book to mature readers who appreciate a beautifully presented plot with a philosophical slant. It provides insight into the purpose of life and is an excellent read for individuals seeking self-discovery. The cover justifies the pot of gold in terms of the wisdom this book has to offer.

Chasing His Destiny
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Filmzy Aura
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-filmzy-aura.html
Latest Review: A Kingdom Forgotten by Charles W. McDonald Jr.
2024 Reading Goal: 20
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by Filmzy Aura »

The gripping story "Chasing His Destiny" deftly combines themes of self-discovery, exploration, and the unwavering pursuit of one's goals. This novel delves deeply into the essence of what it means to follow one's love against all circumstances, thanks to its vivid writing and richly portrayed characters.

The protagonist's journey is thought-provoking and inspirational, giving readers a window into their own potential and the bravery required to pursue what is really important. This book stands out because of the author's skill at fusing inspirational ideas with an engrossing plot; it's not simply something to read; it's an experience.

Because of the narrative's flawless pacing, readers will be captivated from the start to the last page. The difficulties and barriers that
Nyleja Kim
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
2024 Reading Goal: 100
2024 Goal Completion: 2%

Post by Nyleja Kim »

Great review, I love to read this kind of book. The flow of the story os interesting.
Chunnu Muduli
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chunnu-muduli.html
Latest Review: Winning the War on Cancer by Sylvie Beljanski

Post by Chunnu Muduli »

The error won't bother me. I'd be eager to explore this well-crafted narrative and the philosophical insights it offers.
Ibraheem Rasheedat
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-donald-cecil-hufstedler.html
Latest Review: Running For One's Life by Lauren Jedlan

Post by Ibraheem Rasheedat »

Based on the review, "Chasing His Destiny" seems like a thought-provoking and beautifully written book. It captures the protagonist's journey of self-discovery and explores the themes of destiny and purpose in a relatable way. The reviewer praises the author's writing style and character development, highlighting the realistic and captivating nature of the story. Although some minor errors were noted, they do not overshadow the book's overall quality. With a five-star rating, this book appears to be a highly recommended read for mature individuals seeking insights into the meaning of life and self-discovery.
Seetha E

Post by Seetha E »

Nyleja Kim wrote: 05 Feb 2024, 20:45 Great review, I love to read this kind of book. The flow of the story os interesting.
Thanks Nyleja, for taking the time to read and leave a comment. Happy to have generated interest. It is a book you won't be able to put down-courtesy the author's writing style and the content.
Seetha E

Post by Seetha E »

Donald Cecil Hufstedler wrote: 07 Feb 2024, 01:42 Based on the review, "Chasing His Destiny" seems like a thought-provoking and beautifully written book. It captures the protagonist's journey of self-discovery and explores the themes of destiny and purpose in a relatable way. The reviewer praises the author's writing style and character development, highlighting the realistic and captivating nature of the story. Although some minor errors were noted, they do not overshadow the book's overall quality. With a five-star rating, this book appears to be a highly recommended read for mature individuals seeking insights into the meaning of life and self-discovery.
It was a wonderful, effortless read; with valuable insights. I appreciate you taking the time to read & leave a comment. Happy reading!
Seetha E

Post by Seetha E »

Chunnu Muduli wrote: 06 Feb 2024, 01:42 The error won't bother me. I'd be eager to explore this well-crafted narrative and the philosophical insights it offers.
Hi Chunnu Muduli,
Happy to have generated interest.
It is a book you won't be able to put down-courtesy the author's writing style and the content.

Happy reading!
Seetha E

Post by Seetha E »

Filmzy Aura wrote: 04 Feb 2024, 07:30 The gripping story "Chasing His Destiny" deftly combines themes of self-discovery, exploration, and the unwavering pursuit of one's goals. This novel delves deeply into the essence of what it means to follow one's love against all circumstances, thanks to its vivid writing and richly portrayed characters.

The protagonist's journey is thought-provoking and inspirational, giving readers a window into their own potential and the bravery required to pursue what is really important. This book stands out because of the author's skill at fusing inspirational ideas with an engrossing plot; it's not simply something to read; it's an experience.

Because of the narrative's flawless pacing, readers will be captivated from the start to the last page. The difficulties and barriers that
Hi Filmzy Aura,
It was a wonderful, effortless read; with valuable insights.
I appreciate you taking the time to read & leave a comment.

Happy reading!
Nwansimdi Mercy Someze
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nwansimdi-mercy-someze.html
Latest Review: Snippets from a Twisted Mind by Sean O’Banion

Post by Nwansimdi Mercy Someze »

The book seems to offer a compelling tale of ambition, resilience, and the search for one's true destiny.
Pranav Dewangan
Currently Reading: The Science of Storytelling
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pranav-dewangan.html
Latest Review: The MISOGI Method by Jody B. Miller

Post by Pranav Dewangan »

The captivating narrative of Eugene's journey, coupled with the author's realistic writing style, promises a truly engaging read. I'm particularly drawn to the portrayal of Eugene's internal conflicts and the relatable bonds he shares at different life stages. The exploration of destiny and self-discovery, amidst professional success, adds a philosophical touch that I find intriguing. The minor errors mentioned don't dampen my enthusiasm, and I'm excited to explore the profound wisdom this book holds.
Seetha E

Post by Seetha E »

Nwansimdi Mercy Someze wrote: 07 Feb 2024, 11:55 The book seems to offer a compelling tale of ambition, resilience, and the search for one's true destiny.
Hi Nwansimdi
Happy reading!
Seetha E

Post by Seetha E »

Pranav Dewangan wrote: 09 Feb 2024, 05:43 The captivating narrative of Eugene's journey, coupled with the author's realistic writing style, promises a truly engaging read. I'm particularly drawn to the portrayal of Eugene's internal conflicts and the relatable bonds he shares at different life stages. The exploration of destiny and self-discovery, amidst professional success, adds a philosophical touch that I find intriguing. The minor errors mentioned don't dampen my enthusiasm, and I'm excited to explore the profound wisdom this book holds.
Hi Pranav,
Happy reading!

Return to “Historical Fiction”