Review of Stories From the Sheriff’s Daughter

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Marina Flisvou
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Jake Fortina and the Roman Conspiracy
Bookshelf Size: 114
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marina-flisvou.html
Latest Review: Legacy: Wisdom of African Traditions and the Bible by Chris Morehouse

Review of Stories From the Sheriff’s Daughter

Post by Marina Flisvou »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Stories From the Sheriff’s Daughter" by Lareida Buckley.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

"Stories from the Sheriff’s Daughter" by Lareida Buckley is a touching book written about life in Wiggins Town. The book is a collection of stories that follow a young girl whose life is transformed when her father, elected as the sheriff, decides to relocate to an old Texas county jail. The unusual setting serves as the background for a set of stories that are both comical and dramatic as the young girl deals with a world where there are policemen, prisoners, and local politics. The novel delves deeply into the effects of such an unusual and often cruel background that exposes the protagonist to life’s worst tragedies like murder, rape and suicide.

The book describes deep and realistic characters that are able to show what life was like in such a small town. Being a native of Caldwell, Texas, in the Burleson County Jail prison home, the author creates a story where she impels some real experiences to make it seem very personal.

Buckley’s writing style is very clear and understandable. She is good at connecting separate stories to create a more comprehensive picture of the main character’s life and the world she is living in. For instance, a character in the book, who is a high school football hero turned prisoner, is developed very well and feels realistic. This change in his life is described in great detail, showing how complicated he is as a person and how his situation has affected him. The characters’ emotions and their life transitions are displayed in detail.

The author does an excellent job of showing what life is like in a small town. The dynamics of the small town, such as people’s relationships and gossip, bring realism into the story even when big, dramatic things take place.

The book successfully presents life in the jailhouse and also how people behave in that town. Such a book is engaging and keeps the readers focused on the storyline.

The pace of the book might be a bit slow for some people, but this slowness is important in not only describing and setting up the background but also giving the story more life.

The author has taken care to maintain a high standard of writing throughout the book. This is evident in the correct use of complex sentences and dialogues. Regarding the editing, I found only some minor typos or grammatical mistakes.

In conclusion, I rate "Stories from the Sheriff’s Daughter" 5 out of 5 stars. It is a great book, full of touching feelings and a plot. It is an engaging and emotionally deep novel that stands out for its original viewpoint and moving storyline. You will remember it even after you finish reading it; it will stay with you long after you read it.

Stories From the Sheriff’s Daughter
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Marina
Alex Lynn
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alex-lynn.html
Latest Review: God, Science and the Bible by Arnold V Page

Post by Alex Lynn »

"Stories from the Sheriff’s Daughter" by Lareida Buckley sounds like a compelling and emotionally rich exploration of life in Wiggins Town. Your detailed review highlights the author's ability to create deep and realistic characters within the unique backdrop of a small Texas town and its jailhouse. The clear and understandable writing style, along with well-connected stories, adds to the comprehensive portrayal of the main character's life. The book's success in capturing the dynamics of a small town and its engaging storyline contribute to its appeal.
Ibraheem Rasheedat
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-donald-cecil-hufstedler.html
Latest Review: Running For One's Life by Lauren Jedlan

Post by Ibraheem Rasheedat »

The review of "Stories from the Sheriffs Daughter" by Lareida Buckley is overwhelmingly positive, rating it 5 out of 5 stars. The reviewer praises the book for its touching and original storyline, realistic characters, and engaging writing style. They mention that the book successfully portrays life in a small town and the dynamics of the jailhouse. Despite the slow pace, the reviewer appreciates how it adds depth to the story. Overall, it is described as a great and emotionally deep novel that will leave a lasting impression on readers.
Pranav Dewangan
Currently Reading: The Science of Storytelling
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pranav-dewangan.html
Latest Review: The MISOGI Method by Jody B. Miller

Post by Pranav Dewangan »

The vivid portrayal of small-town life and the intricate character development, especially the high school football hero turned prisoner, has me intrigued. The author's clear writing style and attention to detail in depicting life's complexities make it sound like a captivating read. I appreciate your thorough review, and your 5-star rating has convinced me that this book is a must-read for its original viewpoint and emotional depth. Excited to get lost in the world of Wiggins Town!
Azaz Raja
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-azaz-raja.html
Latest Review: Jirvania by Jan Anderegg

Post by Azaz Raja »

The review of "Stories from the Sheriff's Daughter" by Lareida Buckley is highly favorable, awarding it a perfect score of 5 stars. The reviewer commends the book for its heartfelt and unique narrative, authentic characters, and captivating writing style. I value the detailed assessment provided, and the top rating confirms my belief that this book offers a fresh perspective and profound emotional resonance. I eagerly anticipate immersing myself in the setting of Wiggins Town!
Kristin Cowan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 63
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kristin-cowan.html
Latest Review: Get Out of My Bed by Shirley Wooten Rose

Post by Kristin Cowan »

I feel like she should write a follow-up about the haunted old jail

Return to “Historical Fiction”