Review of The Whims of War

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Clauson Justin
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-clauson-justin.html
Latest Review: The Making, the Rise, and the Future of the Speakingman-fourth edition by Dan M Mrejeru

Review of The Whims of War

Post by Clauson Justin »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Whims of War" by Don R Sampen.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

The Whims of War is a fictional novel written by Don R. Sampen. The book is set in the period of the Revolutionary War in America and follows the life of Daniel Thompson, a businessman whose family's divided political leanings put him in a difficult position.

Daniel's father and brother, David, are loyalists to the British. His sister Missy and her husband are patriots, while Daniel tends to lean wherever makes the most sense at the time. When war rolls in, it brings strain to Daniel as he faces accusations of treason and navigates complex allegiances. Daniel's loyalty to his family and country is put to the ultimate test. Amidst the chaos of war and the challenges of personal loss and betrayal, Daniel must find the strength to stand firm in his convictions and fight for justice. What will this conflict cost him? Find out in this thrilling book.

There are a lot of things I love about this book. The book does well to tackle a lot of difficult issues. Daniel, the protagonist, who for the most part is a good man, still struggles with his racial bias, and we get to see how this affects him. It was also interesting to get the political feel of that period, when people would have opposing ideologies but still care for each other as individuals. We also see the flip side of this dynamic when family members refuse to speak with each other because of their views, as seen with Missy and her father, similar to what we still sparingly see in some families. Daniel's interaction with his son, Jonathon, was also good, as a father who wants the best for his son but has to learn over time what that actually means. The language used was very easy to follow and understand. The chapters were well-paced, and the writing was well done.

Personally, if I could change one thing about the book, I would reduce its length a bit. But that is just a subjective option, as the book's length did not affect its rather high quality.

I found only a few errors in this book. It was professionally edited. I rate this book 5 out of 5 stars. It was an interesting and well-written book. I recommend it to lovers of historical fiction books.

The Whims of War
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Ibraheem Rasheedat
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-donald-cecil-hufstedler.html
Latest Review: Running For One's Life by Lauren Jedlan

Post by Ibraheem Rasheedat »

Based on the review, "Share The Whims of War" appears to be an interesting and well-written historical fiction book. The reviewer praises the author's tackling of difficult issues, the political feel of the Revolutionary War period, and the character development of the protagonist. The book's pacing, language, and professional editing are also commended. Although the reviewer suggests a slight reduction in length, they still rate the book 5 out of 5 stars. Overall, it seems like a recommended read for lovers of historical fiction.
Paris Kumar
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 489
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-paris-kumar.html
Latest Review: 480 Codorus Street by Sandra L. Kearse-Stockton
2024 Reading Goal: 200
2024 Goal Completion: 30%

Post by Paris Kumar »

Your comprehensive and thoughtful review of "The Whims of War" highlights its multifaceted exploration of complex issues and historical context. Your appreciation for its character development and pacing reflects its quality.

Well done, Clauson ! :tiphat:
The greatest part of a writer’s time is spent in reading, in order to write; a man will turn over half a library to make one book.
—Samuel Johnson

I am happy to be a part of the OnlineBookClub.

Return to “Historical Fiction”