Review of Soulmates revised

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Nenye Charles
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nenye-charles.html
Latest Review: Snatched Up to Heaven for Kids by Jemima Paul, Arvind Paul

Review of Soulmates revised

Post by Nenye Charles »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Soulmates revised" by Ronald J, Gerhard.]
Book Cover
4 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

“Soulmates: Revised” by Ronald J. Gerhard is a historical novel that discusses the journey of soulmates as they travel through thirteen generations to meet one another. Due to one circumstance or another, the soulmates in the generations were unable to unite as one until the thirteenth generation.

It started with William Hopkins from Nottinghamshire, London, and Judith Vassar of Plymouth Colony. To Judith, William was simply an image of human traits and values that attracted him to her. It was in their destiny to meet, as they were kindred spirits with similar interests. However, a circumstance made this unity impossible, as each eventually married another, leaving both unhappy and frustrated.

The author believes that despite the circumstances that may arise, the spirit of soulmates finds no rest until they are united. For the second generation, Henry Hopkins and Samantha Whitney were destined by fate to continue the quest. Henry would have taken his stand to marry Samantha had they reached out and embraced. He was convinced to marry Anna instead of Samantha, as she was the older of the two. I was fascinated by the fact that each generation produces children who continue the soulmate’s quest for unity.

After Samantha’s death, I felt terrible when Jacques discovered from ancient documents that Samantha and Anna Whitney were second cousins rather than first. Therefore, Abigail and Martins, the offspring of Henry Hopkins and Samantha Whitney, could have gotten married, and the soulmates would have united at that point.

In the 13th generation, Bryan Hopkins ponders the idea of souls travelling across generations to find their mates. It was discovered that the loving spirits of Judith Vassar and William Hopkins were passed down through 13 generations. It was fate that led the entire family of Bryan Hopkins to come down with the flu, as they were saved from the deaths in 2001 at the World Trade Centre. When the soulmates eventually united in the 13th generation, the union produced Judith Hopkins, a successor who begins her own journey and the quest all over again.

I’m amazed by the author’s ability to put this book together. This shows he is well versed, especially when it comes to historical fiction, which dates back to the 17th century. As I went through the book, the events and characters felt real enough. I also loved the easy narrative tone he used in the book.

I noticed some negative aspects I didn’t like about the book. First, there were inconsistencies in the spelling of ‘Graaff’. I was confused about the correct spelling, whether it’s 'Graaff' or ‘Graff’. These occurred between locations 783 and 988. Again, I noticed some errors in the book. For this reason, I rate it 4 out of 5 stars.

I recommend this book to readers who love historical fiction. It is equally ideal for those who are interested in learning more about the concept of soulmates and their mode of operation.

Soulmates revised
View: on Bookshelves
Ibraheem Rasheedat
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-donald-cecil-hufstedler.html
Latest Review: Running For One's Life by Lauren Jedlan

Post by Ibraheem Rasheedat »

Based on the review, it seems like "Share Soulmates: Revised" by Ronald J. Gerhard is a good read for fans of historical fiction and those interested in the concept of soulmates. The reviewer acknowledges the author's skill in crafting a well-versed book, with realistic events and engaging characters. However, there were some inconsistencies in spelling and a few errors that detracted from the overall experience. Nonetheless, the reviewer still rates it 4 out of 5 stars, indicating a positive impression.
Glory_C
Currently Reading: Keysha's Drama
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-glory-c.html
Latest Review: Bluewater Walkabout by Tina Dreffin

Post by Glory_C »

I like this book because it teaches me things I’ve never known before, things that have never occurred to me. I love the concept of soulmates traveling over decades and centuries to find themselves.
Sbitan Mohammad
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sbitan-mohammad.html
Latest Review: Soul Seeker by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Sbitan Mohammad »

This issue of soulmates intrigues me, the idea of one person just for you and you alone. I look forward to learning more on this subject from the author's perspective. Beautiful review.
Kristin Cowan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 63
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kristin-cowan.html
Latest Review: Get Out of My Bed by Shirley Wooten Rose

Post by Kristin Cowan »

This book is a complex historical fiction if it includes so many different historical events over time! Interesting!
Colleado Keana Rose
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-colleado-keana-rose.html
Latest Review: Rise and Conquer by Juan Partida

Post by Colleado Keana Rose »

The concept of soulmates is fascinating to me—the idea of one person exclusively meant for you. I'm eager to explore more about this topic from the author's viewpoint. Lovely review.
Chiemego Nwokolo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chiemego-nwokolo.html
Latest Review: Stevie Tenderheart Books WAIT A MINUTE! (An Illustrated Novella) by Steve William Laible

Post by Chiemego Nwokolo »

This book seem suspense filled. The concept of soulmates is interesting and thrilling at the same time. I would love to read this any chance I get.
Malachi Chukwuebuka Nelson
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-malachi-chukwuebuka-nelson.html
Latest Review: Bluewater Walkabout by Tina Dreffin

Post by Malachi Chukwuebuka Nelson »

The book seems to be a historic book. I must say I'm not a fan of historical books. I will give this a pass. Thanks for the review.
Enjani Matendeko
Currently Reading: Nightlord
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-enjani-matendeko.html
Latest Review: Running For One's Life by Lauren Jedlan

Post by Enjani Matendeko »

The concept of a soulmate is interesting, but I find it to be unreal. I believe that there are people whom you click with more than others, but I think it's because of shared interests or because of the attraction.
Tomy Chandrafrost
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tomy-chandrafrost.html
Latest Review: UNEMPLOYABLE by Alysia Edith Silberg

Post by Tomy Chandrafrost »

I enjoy books that involve the concept of time travel, sort of like taking us back to the past. For a historical fiction book, I find this intriguing. Thank you for the review. I think it could be a good recommendation for me when I'm going to write fiction with a similar concept.
Kristin Cowan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 63
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kristin-cowan.html
Latest Review: Get Out of My Bed by Shirley Wooten Rose

Post by Kristin Cowan »

The author must have made an amazing outline to have such detailed timelines going on and tying them together!

Return to “Historical Fiction”