Review of The Life and Loves of Saint Columba

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Veronica Hunter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-veronica-hunter.html
Latest Review: The Tainted Jade by Richard Blaine

Review of The Life and Loves of Saint Columba

Post by Veronica Hunter »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Life and Loves of Saint Columba" by Tim Hetherington.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

The story focuses on Saint Columba, a boy whose parents believed he had a great destiny. Crimthann, or Columba, was prophesied for greatness, exploring the clash between Christianity and paganism in Ireland. Saint Columba's journey unfolds, revealing his impact on Scotland amid political turmoil. The chapters detail his strategic shift, encounters with kings, personal struggles, and the pivotal role he played. The narrative captures Columba's complexity, dedication to Christianity, and lasting imprint on Scotland, providing a comprehensive portrayal of his spiritual journey.

The Life and Loves of Saint Columba by Tim Hetherington is a mesmerizing exploration of the Irish saint, skillfully blending historical facts with a touch of fiction. The controversial circumstances surrounding Columba's departure and his journey with a handful of monks to the Irish enclave of Dalriada in Scotland set the stage for the founding of the iconic Iona monastery, a pivotal center of Christianity during the Dark Ages. The touch of intrigue and romance brings forth a new dimension to the charismatic Irish saint, making the tale not only historically rich but emotionally resonant.

A standout feature of the book is its skillful blending of historical facts with fiction to narrate the life of Saint Columba. The book provides readers with a colorful and charismatic depiction of one of the patron saints of Ireland, offering a fresh perspective on the historical figure and the times in which he lived. This unique approach adds depth to the portrayal of Saint Columba, making the narrative both informative and engaging.

There is nothing I didn’t like about the book. I found no shortcomings or errors throughout. The inclusion of a captivating introductory story before delving into the main narrative surrounding the central character added a delightful layer to the reading experience. The smooth transition from the initial story to the exploration of the main character showcased a thoughtful and engaging structure. Overall, the book's flawless execution and engaging storytelling from the very beginning contributed to a highly satisfying reading experience.

I commend the book's exceptional editing, and I rate it 5 out of 5 stars. My rating is influenced by two paramount factors. Firstly, the author's commendable effort to stay true to historical facts while skillfully incorporating a layer of fiction into the narrative is noteworthy. The blend of historical accuracy and creative storytelling reflects the author's adeptness. The intelligence and effort put into this balancing act enhance the book's appeal. Secondly,the absence of shortcomings This speaks volumes about the author's meticulous approach to writing and the overall quality of the book. I recommend this book to historical fiction aficionados, history enthusiasts, and readers interested in religious history.

The Life and Loves of Saint Columba
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Azaz Raja
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-azaz-raja.html
Latest Review: Jirvania by Jan Anderegg

Post by Azaz Raja »

This review of "The Life and Loves of Saint Columba" by Tim Hetherington provides a captivating overview of the book's blend of historical accuracy and fiction. The reader praises its engaging storytelling, seamless structure, and meticulous editing. They commend the author's dedication to historical accuracy and creative storytelling, recommending the book to historical fiction enthusiasts and history buffs. Overall, the review offers a compelling endorsement of the book's quality and appeal. Thankyou for your review!
Sbitan Mohammad
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sbitan-mohammad.html
Latest Review: Adrift by Charlie Sheldon

Post by Sbitan Mohammad »

After reading this review, my interest for this book has been amped. The author uses historical information to tell a fictional story. I look forward to learning more.
Ibraheem Rasheedat
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-donald-cecil-hufstedler.html
Latest Review: Running For One's Life by Lauren Jedlan

Post by Ibraheem Rasheedat »

Based on the review, "The Life and Loves of Saint Columba" by Tim Hetherington appears to be a captivating historical fiction book that skillfully blends facts with fiction. The reviewer commends the author's effort to stay true to historical accuracy while adding an engaging layer of storytelling. The book's flawless execution, intriguing structure, and meticulous editing are highlighted. The absence of shortcomings speaks to the overall quality of the book. This positive review makes it clear that the book is a good read, especially for historical fiction lovers, history enthusiasts, and those interested in religious history.
Andrew Darlington
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-andrew-darlington.html
Latest Review: Free and Fearless by Phil Moser

Post by Andrew Darlington »

The story focuses on Saint Columba, a boy whose parents believed he had a great destiny. The blend of historical accuracy and creative storytelling reflects the author's adeptness. Your review was brilliant.
Dani Elle Ele
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dani-elle-ele.html
Latest Review: Bluewater Walkabout by Tina Dreffin

Post by Dani Elle Ele »

Having read this review, my curiosity for this book has increased. The author weaves a fictional narrative around historical details, and I'm eager to delve deeper.
Sunday N Florence
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sunday-n-florence.html
Latest Review: Bluewater Walkabout by Tina Dreffin

Post by Sunday N Florence »

The Life and Loves of Saint Columba brilliantly navigates the complexities of his spiritual journey amidst the clash between Christianity and paganism. Tim Hetherington expertly blends history with fiction, offering a captivating portrayal of this iconic Irish saint.

Return to “Historical Fiction”