Review of The Corset Factory, Book 1: Threads of Destiny

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Ngozi Onyibor
Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Sugar & Spice
Currently Reading: The Wizard of Fire
Bookshelf Size: 176
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ngozi-onyibor.html
Latest Review: Ozone Therapy for the Treatment of Viruses by Marc J. Seifer

Review of The Corset Factory, Book 1: Threads of Destiny

Post by Ngozi Onyibor »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Corset Factory, Book 1: Threads of Destiny" by Valerie Anne Hudson.]
Book Cover
4 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

The Corset Factory is a historical drama/romance novel that follows Elizabeth and Lottie, two women on opposite spectrums of the socio-economic ladder as they come into their own in the 1850s in London.

Valerie Anne Hudson has a breezy writing style that gently lulls the reader into the story. Her elegant prose vividly captures life in London in the 1850s. From the pungent London streets to the difficult lives of the working poor population, the colossal gap between the rich and poor, the non-existent worker’s protection laws, the inhumane working conditions, duty to family, love, and ambition, the novel covers a plethora of themes, and the author does so with effortless flair.  

I particularly loved how thought-provoking the book is. I constantly paused to reflect on its themes while reading, and the novel made me appreciative of how far women’s rights have come. From rarely being able to go out unchaperoned to not inheriting properties because of their gender in the past, so much has changed regarding women's rights in the Western world. Yet the knowledge that some factors are still the same is a little unsettling. Like in the 1850s, many women in leadership positions are still not taken seriously. They are still underpaid and mistreated, and any attempt to speak up will have them labelled as troublesome and disruptive. 

That being said, the protagonists’ personalities could use more layers. Valerie narrates the story through the first-person perspective of Elizabeth and Lottie, and their personalities couldn’t be more different. One of the two things they have in common is that they are both women navigating a staunchly patriarchal society. Still, I wish Valerie didn't make their differences so stark. There is no end to the sweetness of the pleasant character while the other protagonist has absolutely no redeeming qualities whatsoever. While one wants for nothing, the other one can barely catch a break from her poverty-induced woes. The juxtaposition is great, but I hope to see more intricacies in their personalities in subsequent installments of the Thread of Destiny series.

Although I enjoyed reading the book, its principal characters were not as multifaceted as I prefer. Hence, I rate the book 4 out of 5 stars. To its credit, the editing is remarkable. Besides a few instances where a character’s name was mixed up, I didn't notice any other errors throughout my reading.

The Corset Factory, Book 1: Threads of Destiny
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Ibraheem Rasheedat
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-donald-cecil-hufstedler.html
Latest Review: Running For One's Life by Lauren Jedlan

Post by Ibraheem Rasheedat »

The review suggests that "Share The Corset Factory" is a good read overall, with a breezy writing style and vivid descriptions of life in 1850s London. The book covers thought-provoking themes and highlights the progress of women's rights, while also acknowledging that challenges still exist. However, the reviewer feels that the main characters lack depth and hopes for more complexity in future installments of the series. Despite this, the editing is commendable, making it a recommended read with a rating of 4 out of 5 stars.

Return to “Historical Fiction”