Review of Mekong Belle

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Kajori Sheryl Paul
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Noah's Quest
Bookshelf Size: 983
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kajori-sheryl-paul.html
Latest Review: Alien Bonds by Carmen Webster Buxton

Review of Mekong Belle

Post by Kajori Sheryl Paul »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Mekong Belle" by Bill Lynch.]
Book Cover
4 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Mekong Belle: Love's Impossible Choice by Bill Lynch is a musical love letter to Vietnam.

Set during the Vietnam War, the book takes us on an extraordinary journey right along with the Belle County and her crew. The Bell County is unlike any other naval ship deployed in the waters of the Mekong Delta. With the encouragement of Admiral Kirkpatrick, Captain Baillier has put together a rare crew of musically inclined people. Along with carrying out their official naval missions, the captain aims to arrange musical shows and feasts for the troops stuck in the boonies. Fresh out of training, Ensign Rob Allen is super surprised when he gets assigned to the Bell County. His life takes another turn when he meets Melanie Marquis on his first day in Vung Tau, Vietnam.

Will the Bell County and her crew be able to bring hope and joy to the people stuck in an utterly hopeless situation? Will Rob and Melanie be able to create a bond that will endure the travails of war?

Mekong Belle: Love's Impossible Choice is a heart-touching novel. Bill Lynch is an extraordinary author. Though some of the things in this book are fictional, it is evident that Lynch has borrowed heavily from his own experiences in Vietnam. Only someone who has lived the war could portray it as realistically as he did. Along with depicting the conflict between North Vietnam and South Vietnam, he masterfully captures the dilemma of the American soldiers stuck there. I love how he gives us a perspective of the local people of the country. The action sequences and the multiple losses suffered during the war are portrayed in an engrossing yet sensitive manner. To be honest, I learned a lot more about the Vietnam War from the fictional Mekong Belle: Love's Impossible Choice than any other book.

Music is an integral aspect of this novel. Bill Lynch seamlessly integrates music into his story. The songs and instrumentals mentioned in the novel are all gems and should be listened to by everyone. I love the way Lynch shows us that music heals everything. I truly appreciate the music catalog provided at the end of the book.

Bill Lynch presents us with an amazing cast of characters. Rob Allen starts off as a young man with dreams in his eyes. His time in Vietnam transformed him into an officer who valued the importance of love, friendship, and duty. Melanie's character is beautifully sketched. On one hand, she is a French-educated sophisticated young lady fluent in three languages. On the other hand, she is a Vietnamese woman yearning to do something for her country. The duality of her personality made her my favorite. Captain Baillier is another of my favorites. Everyone should have a mentor like him. He is always there for his crew. I loved his bond with Simone. Andrew, Harry, Reyes, Doc, Archer, and all the other crew members are great. Binh deserves a special mention. His dedication to his country is admirable.

I liked everything about this book. However, I did find more than ten errors. These errors did not detract anything from my reading experience. Apart from the errors, there is absolutely nothing worth criticizing. I rate Mekong Belle: Love's Impossible Choice 4 out of 5 stars. Because of the presence of the errors, I have taken away one star.

Overall, I truly enjoyed Bill Lynch's Mekong Belle: Love's Impossible Choice. I highly recommend it to fans of musicals and war romances.

Mekong Belle
View: on Bookshelves
Ibraheem Rasheedat
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-donald-cecil-hufstedler.html
Latest Review: Running For One's Life by Lauren Jedlan

Post by Ibraheem Rasheedat »

This review of "Mekong Belle: Love's Impossible Choice" by Bill Lynch showcases a heartfelt and immersive story set during the Vietnam War. The author skillfully combines his own experiences with fictional elements, offering a realistic portrayal of the conflict and the struggles faced by American soldiers. The integration of music into the narrative adds depth and healing. The characters are well-developed and relatable, with Captain Baillier standing out as an admirable mentor figure. Despite a few errors, the overall reading experience is highly enjoyable. This review suggests that "Mekong Belle: Love's Impossible Choice" is a recommended read for fans of musicals and war romances.
Clauson Justin
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-clauson-justin.html
Latest Review: The Making, the Rise, and the Future of the Speakingman-fourth edition by Dan M Mrejeru

Post by Clauson Justin »

The book is educative. I like it when author's who write fictional books include real-life events which occured at the time in the book. This makes it more realistic. I would love to read the book.
Ajay Rudrapati
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ajay-rudrapati.html
Latest Review: Karmic Selling by Stan Gwizdak

Post by Ajay Rudrapati »

I am very much awaited to read this book, Your review motivated me to read this book ASAP. The way you inculcated the details of the book in a very clear manner is impressive. Thank you

Return to “Historical Fiction”