Review of Another Me

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
SweetSourSalty AndSpicy
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 247
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sweetsoursalty-andspicy.html
Latest Review: The Hidden Burglar by Jacquel Clark

Review of Another Me

Post by SweetSourSalty AndSpicy »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Another Me" by Saundra Terrell.]
Book Cover
4 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Sage, an African American woman, is a successful art gallery owner known for her beauty and fashion flair. She married Skeet, a wealthy immigration lawyer, and her best friend Dakota is her confidant. Sage strives to be Skeet's ideal woman, adopting his preferred clothing style, makeup, and hair length. Skeet wants to have children and start a family, but Sage has been unable to decide for nearly four years. The topic has produced many disagreements and strains in their relationship. Sage's customary technique of obtaining artwork for her gallery entails traveling frequently to see the pieces in person. Taj, Sage's brother-in-law, engages a private detective as suspicions mount regarding Sage's business trips. Taj never liked Sage. He is desperate to ruin Sage, and what he discovers could provide the perfect opportunity.

Another Me by Saundra Terrell is an intricate tale about the dynamics of relationships riddled with secrets, lies, and deception. It uses family drama, romance, mystery, and suspense to draw attention to several current and socially relevant themes. The novel uses flawed characters to depict diverse personalities, reinforcing the topics. Their portrayals elicit a variety of emotions from the audience. Their flaws make them relatable. The physical descriptions and references to popular products help create mental images. Likewise, the book has a fitting title. It is appropriate for the protagonist's and the other characters' circumstances. Despite the complexities of the stories and the devastating situations, it ends on a positive note.

The story focuses on empowering women. It investigates women's choices, why they make them, and the influence of society on those preferences. It encompasses their identity, work, relationships, and sexual health. Similarly, the story addresses current social topics like racism, ethnicity, arranged marriages, immigration, and sex workers. It discusses these subjects not only from the perspective of women but also from the outlook of men and the backgrounds of other cultures. What I loved best about the book was the balance with which it presented these views.

The book has certain downsides. The narration appeared repetitious at times. Characters frequently provide a recap of events during dialogue. Because readers are already familiar with the subject, repetition affects momentum and pace. It adds unnecessary length to the narrative. Also, the chapters are a bit lengthy for my liking, which slows down the pace. There are also editing issues. I detected a name change for one of the characters. There were over ten instances, so I recommend another round of editing and proofreading to address this. Similarly, the book should have delved deeper into the situation of the sexual worker to provide more context and raise awareness about this line of work. However, this last concern is a matter of personal preference and has no bearing on the book's enjoyment.

The story is easy to follow because of the conversational language and simple vocabulary. There are swear words. Although the sex scenes are not graphic, the book contains discussions of sexual fetishes and other unorthodox intimate practices, making it appropriate for adult audiences. Religious groups will not find any offensive content. Those who appreciate romance with a twist of mystery and suspense will enjoy the book. It is ideal for those interested in social issues like women's empowerment, ethnicity, arranged marriages, and sex workers.

I am deducting a star due to the previously mentioned concerns. Nonetheless, the work deserves praise for bringing attention to socially relevant issues and increasing awareness. I give it a four out of five.

Another Me
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Clauson Justin
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 62
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-clauson-justin.html
Latest Review: You Own Me by Susan Shumaker

Post by Clauson Justin »

The choice of diction will appeal to readers. There is a successful blend of fascinating genres in the book. Readers will enjoy reading it.
PHOENIX PANDEY
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-phoenix-pandey.html
Latest Review: Ela Green and the Kingdom of Abud by Sylvia Greif
2024 Reading Goal: 24
2024 Goal Completion: 37%

Post by PHOENIX PANDEY »

Impressed by the depth of your review; it reflects a genuine passion for the topic and a commitment to excellence.

Return to “Historical Fiction”