Review of No Going Back

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
John Owen
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Baggage
Bookshelf Size: 155
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-john-owen.html
Latest Review: All Body Bags and No Knickers by Shawe Ruckus
2024 Reading Goal: 52
2024 Goal Completion: 123%

Review of No Going Back

Post by John Owen »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "No Going Back" by Susan Frances.]
Book Cover
4 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

"No Going Back" by Susan Frances is a fantastic read! I like the characterization of the protagonist, Thomas. He was a uniquely, fully, and exceptionally well-developed character, which, to me, makes him the pillar of this story. This scholarly, young man, abruptly forced to abandon his studies at the monastery school and confront the grim realities of the plague-ridden world, was a character I rooted for. His resilience and unique traits are amazing to experience, and he just has a peculiar personality to him.

The narrative skillfully weaves Thomas's struggles as he adapts to his newfound responsibilities, navigating the challenges of leadership, loss, and self-identity, given he is the highlight of the book. As the village fights for survival through the winter, Thomas is at the forefront, aiding the villagers in farming and establishing a semblance of order amidst the chaos. He became my favorite from that scene. His unique qualities are progressively built and nicely incorporated into the story to make for an amazing narrative around him, revolving around his internal conflicts—including his battle between societal norms and his personal desires. To cut it short, he is what pushes the narrative forward. Anything can go wrong in such novels that are built around a particular character, as the entire story can come crumbling down when that character is poorly developed at some point, but the author aced it on this one.

"No Going Back" by Susan Frances is a wonderful and captivating read, and I rate it 4 out of 5 stars. I haven't given a perfect score because of a few minor reasons that are subjective and personal to me. I felt as if the book wasn't well resolved and the ending felt like a cliffhanger to me. Many things were resolved, though—don't get me wrong—but it just felt like there should be more to the story. The pacing was also a little not how I wanted it. I would read the novel over and over, and I highly recommend it. It is a captivating exploration of love, loss, and the pursuit of destiny. It was also exceptionally well edited.

No Going Back
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Harmony in chaos. It's all a matter of perspective.
Maricel Lupot
Currently Reading: The Great Migration
Bookshelf Size: 9
2024 Reading Goal: 100
2024 Goal Completion: 5%

Post by Maricel Lupot »

This book is awesome. Thomas is unique and intelligent.. His resilience and unique traits are amazing to experience, and he just has a peculiar personality to him.
Alex Lynn
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alex-lynn.html
Latest Review: God, Science and the Bible by Arnold V Page

Post by Alex Lynn »

As a prospective reader, the review of "No Going Back" by Susan Frances provides a compelling perspective on the book, highlighting the protagonist Thomas as a uniquely developed and central character. The admiration for Thomas's resilience, unique traits, and internal conflicts adds depth to the overall narrative and creates a character readers can root for. The portrayal of Thomas's struggles and his role in leading the village through challenges like the plague-ridden world and the harsh winter contributes to the engaging nature of the story.
Ringle Nashak
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ringle-nashak.html
Latest Review: The Kovalenko Secret by Philip L Rettew

Post by Ringle Nashak »

I felt as if the book wasn't well resolved and the ending felt like a cliffhanger to me. Many things were resolved, though—don't get me wrong—but it just felt like there should be more to the story. The pacing was also a little not how I wanted it.
Anil Baade
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anil-baade.html
Latest Review: The DrugTech Trilogy by Marcel Victor Sahade

Post by Anil Baade »

You've explained very well about the book and you have mentioned the content of the book very nicely. I'll definitely start reading this book.

Return to “Historical Fiction”