Review of The 13th of Summer

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Gladis Ratish Kumar
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 95
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gladis-ratish-kumar.html
Latest Review: Promiscuous Girl by Kelli Nicole

Review of The 13th of Summer

Post by Gladis Ratish Kumar »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The 13th of Summer" by C.L. Pratt.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

The novel "The 13th of Summer" by C.L. Pratt is a poignant work of fiction woven with threads of reality, as the author drew inspiration from the stories told by her parents and family members. Set against the backdrop of the South Dakota prairie during a relentless drought, the narrative unfolds with a sense of authenticity.

The protagonist, Betty, is depicted as a 10-year-old girl mature beyond her years, shouldering the responsibilities of the household due to her epilepsy, which prevents her from attending school regularly. Despite her condition, she approaches her chores with diligence, supported by her mother, Etta, and surrounded by her three brothers and two sisters. Alfred, her father, is a compassionate farmer.

The harsh reality of the drought-stricken prairie is vividly portrayed, with the community facing poverty and hardship exacerbated by dry winds, storms, and blizzards. Despite these challenges, there is a sense of unity among the people who help each other with what they have, a lesson that resonates throughout the book.

Betty's friend, Lloyd, also faces challenges as his mother leaves him and his father, along with her two daughters, to be with another man. The novel delves into their lives, highlighting their resilience in the face of loss and adversity.

The author skillfully captures the essence of life in the 1930s through Betty and Lloyd's journey, engaging the reader from start to finish. Moments such as Lloyd, Thurber, and Betty's comical attempt to thwart a banker's bid on Thurber's land add depth and humor to the narrative. Lloyd's tender feelings for Betty and his unwavering support during her difficult times further enrich the story.

The book is populated with well-etched characters like Liam, Hoyt, James, Phyllis, and Johnny, each contributing to the rich tapestry of the narrative. Scout, Lloyd's horse, emerges as a steadfast companion, emblematic of loyalty and resilience.

The novel's exploration of loss and survival amidst challenging circumstances is both heart-wrenching and uplifting, resonating with readers on a deep emotional level. The author's adept storytelling keeps the reader engrossed, making it difficult to put the book down.

In conclusion, "The 13th of Summer" is a captivating novel that seamlessly blends fiction with reality, offering a poignant glimpse into the lives of its characters. With its well-crafted narrative and memorable characters, it is a book that leaves a lasting impression. I found nothing to dislike in the book, so I wholeheartedly give it 5 out of 5 stars.

The 13th of Summer
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Clauson Justin
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-clauson-justin.html
Latest Review: The Making, the Rise, and the Future of the Speakingman-fourth edition by Dan M Mrejeru

Post by Clauson Justin »

The book encompasses a lot of themes. It is intriguing to see how Betty manages to be diligent with her responsibilities despite her condition. The writing style which brings together the lives of different characters is appealing.
Vinay Penubothu
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vinay-penubothu.html
Latest Review: UNEMPLOYABLE by Alysia Edith Silberg

Post by Vinay Penubothu »

Thank you for your detailed review! Your insights have piqued my interest, and I'm excited to dive into the book. Your review convinced me it's a must-read. Thanks for sharing your thoughts - they've inspired me to explore further.
Anil Baade
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anil-baade.html
Latest Review: The DrugTech Trilogy by Marcel Victor Sahade

Post by Anil Baade »

Thank you for your valuable insights about this book. You've explained about the book very well. I'll definitely add this to my reading list
Rohith Kumar Pakala
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rohith-kumar-pakala.html
Latest Review: The MISOGI Method by Jody B. Miller

Post by Rohith Kumar Pakala »

Thank you for your valuable insights, your review built interest in me to read this book. Great information is given by you about the book, thank you for that.

Return to “Historical Fiction”