Review of A Time to pay

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Mutai Marshal
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 519
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mutai-marshal.html
Latest Review: Supercharge Your Production with 5 Time Management Hacks by Lucy Ledet

Review of A Time to pay

Post by Mutai Marshal »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "A Time to pay" by David Woods.]
Book Cover
2 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

A Time to Pay is a novel by David Woods. In this novel, we meet Brian Wilkins, a young man managing his family’s farm. The farm was on the verge of being sold due to bank loans. As Brian contemplates what to do to salvage the situation, a robbery at a jewelry shop nearby is underway. As fate would have it, Brian is lucky when his path somehow crosses with the thieves. However, this was a bittersweet situation. What luck lies ahead for him? Will Brian manage to save his family farm from being upsold? What connection does he have with the jewelry robbers, and what does this mean for him?

When I started reading this book, I had high hopes. I was eager to learn what Brian would do to save the farm. I was more interested to know what would become of his romance with Laura. Unfortunately, this book was a disappointment. Some scenes seemed downright unrealistic. One theme that disappointed me most was the approach to women’s sexuality. There was an incident of rape, and the way the author handled it seemed unrealistic. As for Venk, I felt that the author justified his horrible actions with claims of mental health. This was disheartening after what he had done. I started rooting for Brian, but in the end, I almost wanted him to fail and get caught with all he had done. This is contradictory to what you would expect to feel about the main character. I did not like how he handled certain situations. However, I am obligated to state that this was a matter of personal preference and beliefs. Perhaps someone else may find his character endearing and heroic.

This book starts with a promising plot. However, the pacing, the unrealistic situations, and the poor editing made it hard for me to pinpoint something I liked. I was distracted by the constant typos and editing issues. I would recommend this book to lovers of action books if the above issues are corrected. As for now, I would honestly not recommend this book.

Due to the above reasons, I will rate this book 2 out of 5 stars. I did not give it one star because I think the plot was creative but poorly developed. I cannot rate it higher because it needs lots of revisions.

A Time to pay
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Clauson Justin
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-clauson-justin.html
Latest Review: The Making, the Rise, and the Future of the Speakingman-fourth edition by Dan M Mrejeru

Post by Clauson Justin »

I agree that the plot is captivating as I was intrigued by the summary of the book provided in the review. However, there appear to be a lot of issues with the book. I'll give it a try by starting it and see how it goes.

Return to “Historical Fiction”