Review of Rum Runner

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Laney K
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 123
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laney-k.html
Latest Review: Uncharted Desires by Jillian Sharp
2024 Reading Goal: 50
2024 Goal Completion: 44%

Review of Rum Runner

Post by Laney K »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Rum Runner" by Peter J. Barnett & Andrew B. Koski.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Rum Runner by Peter J. Barnett and Andrew B. Koski takes you on a trip into Prohibition-era America. Jack Lyons, a pilot, has taken to smuggling rum from Canada into Detroit at night and running an aviator company during the day. While the money is good, Jack faces the threat of being caught by the police and the growing presence of the Purples, a Jewish gang. The Purples wish to stop any independent rum runners so they can be the sole provider of illegal alcohol. To top it all off, Jack meets Ava, a female pilot and lawyer. The two hit it off, though Ava has high standards. Will Jack be able to meet them? Will the Purples put a stop to his rum running? Grab a copy of Rum Runner and find out!

The characters in this book were the highlight, in my opinion. Jack was a compelling protagonist. He had trauma from his past that continued to haunt him. His brother, who was also a pilot, had been gunned down by a German pilot, and Jack's hatred for Germans is a recurring theme throughout the book. The characters were consistent with themselves, which made them seem quite realistic. I also enjoyed reading about Ava's struggles as a female lawyer and pilot. It was interesting to read about her attempt to break into male-dominated roles.

I did find that there were a lot of characters introduced rather quickly, which I found to be a little confusing. The point of view changed frequently, so a character would appear and then not be mentioned again for a while, so it was slightly tricky to keep track of them all. However, this did not detract from my reading experience too much. However, readers who don't enjoy multiple points of view may want to pass on this book.

I rate this book 5 out of 5 stars. I thoroughly enjoyed it, and despite a little confusion with the characters, I see no reason to take off a star. Fans of historical fiction, especially those who enjoy reading about the Roaring Twenties, would enjoy this book. The romantic subplots might also appeal to fans of romance. Given the strong language, I believe this book is only suitable for adults. It is a thrilling ride from start to finish, and I highly recommend it!

Rum Runner
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Prohlife Jobs
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prohlife-jobs.html
Latest Review: Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise by John K Danenbarger

Post by Prohlife Jobs »

The book has such a fascinating plot. I want to know what happens between Jack and the Jewish gang at the end!

Return to “Historical Fiction”