Review of The Natural Guard

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Isaac Oh
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-isaac-oh.html
Latest Review: What I Hear When God Speaks by Allen J Brown Jr

Review of The Natural Guard

Post by Isaac Oh »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Natural Guard" by Michael L. Chapla.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Join Michael and his friends in The Natural Guard by Mike L. Chapla as they navigate the tumultuous 1960s and 1970s, with the Vietnam War draft looming overhead. From wild college parties to unexpected romances, follow their journey through a time of uncertainty and fear. As graduation nears and the draft becomes imminent, Michael must confront his fears and make life-altering decisions. With gripping storytelling and suspenseful twists, this novel explores the bonds of friendship and the courage to face the unknown.

In "The Natural Guard" by Mike L. Chapla, readers will find themselves drawn into a compelling storyline that opens with a group of friends grappling with the impending Vietnam War draft. Through vividly depicted characters like Michael, this fictional book offers a portrayal of individuals navigating the complexities of college life and beyond.

I like how the author was able to capture lasting moments in a way that wasn't too bogus with unnecessary details. This made my reading and understanding of the book easier.

However, even though I couldn't find a lot to dislike about this book, I still found the number of profane words used in it to be too high. This may limit the age range of readers allowed to read this book. Also, I found the ending of this book to be too open and vague. However, I found a few grammatical errors that did not detract from the main story; hence, this book was professionally well-edited.

I will rate this book 5 out of 5 stars because, despite my dislikes, I still found it simple and entertaining. A better closure at the end of this book and a reduction in the use of profane words would have increased my overall appreciation for it.

I recommend The Natural Guard by Mike L. Chapla to readers who enjoy historical fiction, particularly those interested in the Vietnam War era. This book will appeal to individuals who appreciate well-developed characters and compelling storylines that explore themes of patriotism, friendship, and sacrifice. Additionally, fans of military fiction and war literature will find this novel engaging, as it offers a realistic portrayal of the challenges faced by those navigating the complexities of military service during a tumultuous historical period.

The Natural Guard
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Historical Fiction”