Review of Broken Lance

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Diana Lowery
Currently Reading: The Exchange
Bookshelf Size: 345
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-diana-lowery.html
Latest Review: Bob and Bobbie and Other Short Stories by Derek Richard Fairey
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Review of Broken Lance

Post by Diana Lowery »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Broken Lance" by William H Brown.]
Book Cover
1 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Broken Lance is the third book in the Elias James Adventure series by William H. Brown. The author's attention to detail and descriptive dialogue is commendable. I suggest reading the first two books before tackling this one. There was not enough backstory given about the protagonist, Elias James, which made it hard for me to relate to him. The story reveals that Elias was promoted as an aide to General Jackson because he saved his life, but I never learned how that happened. Another piece of missing information in this book concerns the stolen family heirloom that Elias is searching for. Finally, more historical facts about the reason for the Creek Indian War would benefit the intended YA audience who might not have that knowledge.

William Brown's historical fiction novel does have some positive elements. I appreciate how he portrays Elias's empathy for the Indians and how they suffered. The short chapters are good for young students in grades six through eight. In addition, the insights into the aspects of war such as the movement of troops, strategies used, and problems getting supplies added to the educational value.

Unfortunately, the negatives of the book due to a lack of proofreading are hard to overlook. Besides some grammatical errors, there were two instances of repeated pages of text. I cannot recommend this book to anyone until it undergoes more editing. My rating is one out of five stars for that reason.

The author gives credit to his mother for his storytelling ability. There is a touching scene in the book when Elias is reunited with his mother. The emotional attachment captured in this passage must surely parallel Brown's relationship with his own mother. This level of writing deserves to be presented in a better format. I was pleased that even though this book ends with a lead into the next book in the series, there is enough of a conclusion to satisfy readers.

Broken Lance
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Risper Ouma Anyango
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-risper-ouma-anyango.html
Latest Review: Grand Slam Life by Milton Haber, M.D.

Post by Risper Ouma Anyango »

I will be sure to look out for the first two books. I also enjoyed your review so much.
Diana Lowery

Post by Diana Lowery »

Risper Ouma Lisa Anyango wrote: 14 Apr 2024, 10:49 I will be sure to look out for the first two books. I also enjoyed your review so much.
Thank you for reading my review.
Jeff Kanda
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Dreams Are to Be Lived
Bookshelf Size: 63
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jeff-kanda.html
Latest Review: Almost Everything You Wanted To Know About Tickling by Duncan Taub
2024 Reading Goal: 20
2024 Goal Completion: 30%

Post by Jeff Kanda »

I have not yet read any book from this series but they seem to be filled with interesting adventures. Your review of the book is straight forward and I really like it!
Diana Lowery

Post by Diana Lowery »

Jeff Kanda wrote: 17 Apr 2024, 01:27 I have not yet read any book from this series but they seem to be filled with interesting adventures. Your review of the book is straight forward and I really like it!
Thank you so much for your comment. I am glad you liked my review.

Return to “Historical Fiction”