Review of The Soviet Network

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Esther Deekor
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-esther-deekor.html
Latest Review: Risky Business In Rising China by Mark Atkeson

Review of The Soviet Network

Post by Esther Deekor »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Soviet Network" by Amerigo Merenda.]
Book Cover
4 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Could you imagine residing in a totalitarian regime where nearly every aspect of your life is controlled? This was the reality in the Soviet Union. Those in authority were solely focused on their personal interests and were willing to go to great lengths to maintain their power and privileges.

Climbing to the top ranks, Commander Rypchensky established a covert network with a select group of individuals from various walks of life, all united in their disdain for the incompetent rule of the communist government. Although he had a passion for science, he opted for a military career, believing it offered a better opportunity to overhaul the corrupt communist regime. He shared his critiques and visions for the government with his only son, Kristoff, through stories from his early years. Kristoff grasped the true importance of these tales only as an adult while working as a journalist for Pravda. Longing for the liberty to voice his criticisms of the government's failures but aware of the dangers of dissent, he knew it wasn't good for his safety. Silence was a means of survival, as vocal critics of the government often vanished, only to be found deceased later. Amid this, he grew close to a woman, Nadia, who also opposed the government's tyranny and harbored plans to defect, unbeknownst to Kristoff. How will her intentions impact their bond? Can his father's secret network liberate their nation and the Soviet Union from the iron grip of its autocratic rulers? Discover the fate of their struggle in The Soviet Network by Amerigo Merenda.

The narrative effectively conveys the author's thoughts, leaving no room for misunderstanding. Despite its political themes, the incorporation of romantic elements adds depth and motivation to the characters' quest for freedom. The willingness of characters to take risks in love, despite potential repercussions, adds complexity to the story. The book imparts several lessons, notably through Commander Rypchensky's approach to life. His treatment of those around him earned their unwavering support, underscoring the importance of kindness and the potential need for support from others at any moment.

There wasn't a single aspect of the book that I found unappealing; it struck the perfect balance of suspense and action, compelling me to remain engaged until the very end. The narrative was enriched with detailed imagery that vividly brought the characters and the storyline to life. I appreciated how the characters were introduced at just the right pace and amount—not too small and not too many—each contributing uniquely and significantly to the narrative of the book.

While reading, I encountered several errors and would recommend an additional round of editing. Therefore, I rate this book four out of five stars. Once these mistakes are corrected, the book truly merits a five-star rating. It holds great appeal for fans of historical fiction, political aficionados, and activists.

The Soviet Network
View: on Bookshelves
Jennifer Coxon
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Cancer, Faith & Butterflies
Bookshelf Size: 65
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jennifer-coxon.html
Latest Review: Love Letters to the Virgin Mary by David Richards

Post by Jennifer Coxon »

Thank you for your insightful review. From your synopsis alone I was interested in this book, but your views on the depth of the story and characters and the pace of the book have clinched it. This is a book I want to read.
Gerry Steen
Currently Reading: The Impossible Mock Orange Trial
Bookshelf Size: 173
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gerry-steen.html
Latest Review: Do You Really Want To Know? by Kate Fraser

Post by Gerry Steen »

I have always been intrigued by the Soviet Union and the country of Russia. Your review of this book has me interested in the plot by Commander Rypchensky to overthrow the government. No small task! Thank you for this informative and honest review.
Baggett Yori
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-baggett-yori.html
Latest Review: The Truth Is Beyond Belief! by Jerry Durr

Post by Baggett Yori »

This review provides an intriguing glimpse into "The Soviet Network" by Amerigo Merenda, a novel set in the tumultuous landscape of the Soviet Union under totalitarian rule. The reviewer effectively captures the essence of the narrative, highlighting its exploration of political intrigue, familial bonds, and romantic entanglements within the backdrop of a repressive regime.
Osvaldo Borghese
Favorite Author: Lincoln Cole
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-osvaldo-borghese.html
Latest Review: On the Trail of the Unseen by Lynne Armstrong-Jones
fav_author_id: 26410
2024 Reading Goal: 20
2024 Goal Completion: 70%

Post by Osvaldo Borghese »

Thank you for your review, historical fiction always kept me interested, and I would like to read this book in the next future.

Return to “Historical Fiction”