Review of The Acadians

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Enjani Matendeko
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Nightlord
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-enjani-matendeko.html
Latest Review: Running For One's Life by Lauren Jedlan

Review of The Acadians

Post by Enjani Matendeko »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Acadians" by Samuel Andre Aucoin.]
Book Cover
4 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Truly, as mentioned at the end of this book, The Acadians by Samuel Andre Aucoin, not many have heard about this ethnic group. Reading this book was my first encounter with them. Thankfully, Samuel wrote this book to keep the history of the Acadians alive.

Jean-Claude and his family were one of the many French tenants who were disturbed by the English when they came to raid them. They burned their farm fields and torched their houses. When the King of France wanted farmers to go to Acadia to establish that area, Jean-Claude was one of the several tenant farmers who accepted the offer and moved to Acadia in 1636. The Acadians shared their land with the Micmacs. The Micmacs in the 17th century were ferocious fighters who fiercely defended their territory. They knew that they needed to ally themselves with one of the white nations for them to have a measure of peace and protection, so they chose the French. The Acadians and the French coexisted peacefully until the English came.

This book lived up to its title. It told the history of the Acadians from the 17th century to the 20th century. The Acadians originated in France. They were farmers who had no desire to fight. Still, the English never left them alone. The New Englanders did a lot of things I considered evil to wipe them from the surface of the earth. They killed their men, women, and children, scattered them across Europe, and took their lands from them. I learned so much from the Acadians. They were resilient and could adapt to whatever situation they found themselves in.

As much as I found this book interesting and enlightening, there were things I disliked. There were so many characters in it. Too many characters meant that there were too many names. To make matters worse, the names were most often alike. This made it difficult to keep track of the character being discussed. There was a lot of information in the book. It was difficult to digest them all. It would have been easier if the book was divided into two instead of packing all the information into one.

I rate this book 4 out of 5 stars. It was exceptionally well-edited. However, I removed a star because of the many characters and the excessive amount of information in the book. It would contribute to making a reader confused while reading, as it did for me. I recommend this book to anyone who feels that they have a history with the Acadians.

The Acadians
View: on Bookshelves
Victoria Nwankwo 1
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Victoria Nwankwo 1 »

I rate the book a 2 out of 5 because I feel novels should create suspense to make the reader want to read more. This particular novel started with history, so yeah
Albert Muturi Kiura
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-albert-muturi-kiura.html
Latest Review: Phobia Relief by Kalliope Barlis
2024 Reading Goal: 10
2024 Goal Completion: 30%

Post by Albert Muturi Kiura »

Nice history. I have got an interest to read this book.
Mizzy Avun
Currently Reading: WatchDogs Abnormal Beginnings
Bookshelf Size: 5

Post by Mizzy Avun »

It was interesting I love it
Osvaldo Borghese
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Lincoln Cole
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 58
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-osvaldo-borghese.html
Latest Review: On the Trail of the Unseen by Lynne Armstrong-Jones
fav_author_id: 26410
2024 Reading Goal: 20
2024 Goal Completion: 70%

Post by Osvaldo Borghese »

Historical books are not always easy to read, you must like the argument and the history period when the tale is developed. thanks a lot for your review.

Return to “Historical Fiction”