Review of The Siberians

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Annelore Trujillo
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Strong Heart
Bookshelf Size: 171
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-annelore-trujillo.html
Latest Review: Mommies Get Scared Too by Gina Lee Mendoza

Review of The Siberians

Post by Annelore Trujillo »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Siberians" by Simon J. Carey.]
Book Cover
4 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

The Siberians: Fire on the Ice by Simon J. Carey is a historical fiction book set in the time of the Russian Civil War. It is based on a true story that was once recounted to the author. This war is something that isn’t talked about a lot. Occurring at the tail end of World War I, the stressors of war in the political field ignited a new fire in the people. The citizens became split in their ideas of the best way to fix things in the war-torn country. What started out as fights with words turned into organized fighting between the political groups. This story follows one family through their experiences during this period.

The writing is superb. The style flows well and is easy to read. The book forms one cohesive unit with a very clear storyline. It is clear that the author put a lot of thought into the story and its development. The author also gives multiple visual tools to help orient the reader. For example, each chapter has the date at the beginning, which helps set a steady timeline. There are also maps sprinkled throughout the book. These help give a visual of what’s going on as the characters move around.

There are a few aspects that don’t necessarily detract from the story but that the reader should know about before picking up this book. First, the pace of the story ebbs and flows. There are parts that are very exciting, but there are parts that are slower and difficult to get through. Additionally, some of the history is difficult to follow without previous knowledge, but history buffs would love this and could easily supplement it with some actual historical facts. Finally, the content is somewhat gory and describes the fighting in detail in some places. It also often uses profane language, so this isn’t for younger readers or any readers sensitive to those aspects.

The biggest downfall of this book is that it needs one more round of editing. There are several minor errors throughout the book. These didn’t detract from my enjoyment of the book, but there are enough that the book doesn't seem professionally edited.

I give this book 4 out of 5 stars. It is well-written but needs another round of editing. With the number of errors throughout the book, I just couldn’t justify giving it a perfect score and had to take off one star. This is a great book for those interested in a side of history that we don’t often see within literature.

The Siberians
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Mohammad Shariful
Bookshelf Size: 0
2024 Reading Goal: 12
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by Mohammad Shariful »

Siberia is itself a mystic place in the world due to its vastness and wilderness. When I see any movie plotted in Siberia, its always give me extra feeling to see some of the different lifestyle of the people, their struggle and live with nature. Definitely the civil war situation added more illustration about to know few more dynamic of the life and politics of the Siberian peoples and communities.
Last edited by Mohammad Shariful on 06 Apr 2024, 03:07, edited 1 time in total.
Raymonda Onwuka 1
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Banished
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raymonda-onwuka-1.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Raymonda Onwuka 1 »

Sounds like a wonderful story, I like story that are very exciting. On the other hand this book made me hear about the Russian Civil War for the very first time. Thanks for the great review.
Ajain12
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 75
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ajain12.html
Latest Review: Parabolic Magnetic Key by Nicholas Wudtke

Post by Ajain12 »

"The Siberians: Fire on the Ice" offers a gripping portrayal of the Russian Civil War. Despite minor editing issues, its historical depth and storytelling prowess make it a compelling read.
Olivier Muhammad
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: In It Together
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-olivier-muhammad.html
Latest Review: The Unfakeable Code® by Tony Jeton Selimi

Post by Olivier Muhammad »

Howdy! Thanks for sharing this in-depth review. It seems like "The Siberians: Fire on the Ice" offers a captivating and well-written portrayal of the Russian Civil War. While the book may have pacing and historical knowledge requirements, it presents a unique perspective worth exploring. However, the need for additional editing is noted. Overall, it appears to be a good read for those interested in lesser-known historical events. Appreciate the insights! Richly detailed world-building, felt immersive.

Return to “Historical Fiction”