Review of Flowers of Evil

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Chioma Oz
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 61
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chioma-oz.html
Latest Review: Flowers of Evil by N.L. Holmes

Review of Flowers of Evil

Post by Chioma Oz »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Flowers of Evil" by N.L. Holmes.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

If you're a fan of fast-paced, thrilling fiction, then this mystery and thrilling novel, Flowers of Evil by N.L. Holmes, will gladden your heart. Structured within twenty-one chapters, this absorbing story follows the adventures of Neferet, a healer married to an influential man. When a man dies in her infirmary muttering something odd, Neferet makes it her duty to uncover the startling intricacies that culminated in the deaths of the man, his wife, and the steward. Along with her partner Bener-ib and a feisty thirteen-year-old Mut-tuy, three women who live in a time when women are underestimated must prove beyond a shadow of a doubt that they are on the right path as they unveil lies, secrets, and profound mysteries. Want to know how they uncover a network of surprises? Read up to find out.

I must admit I didn't read the prequel to this book, but that didn't stop me from being absorbed by the gripping plot, which is the ultimate strength of this novel. The story moves along quickly, yet the mysteries trudge slowly. But this is the book’s delight. The author is good at building assumptions in the minds of the readers, shattering their expectations, elongating curiosity, and keeping you locked in until the very end. The author’s depiction of Egyptian society in 1335 BCE was flawless, to say the least. The attention to detail and notable mentions of belief systems and doctrines show that impeccable research was conducted. It's hard to find books these days that keep you wanting more long after they are finished. This is why I'm awarding this book 5 out of 5 stars.

A few weaknesses are prevalent, which I didn't like. Dialogue could have been stronger, and character dimensions could be bigger, despite the excellent distinctions portrayed. There are also a few errors that call into question the editing of this book. But as my reading process wasn't thoroughly impeded and the intrigue and suspense were so exciting that I was never bored, I stand by my aforementioned rating because the flaws of this book can be heavily suppressed by its strengths.

With this book, you'll learn how to stand strong in your convictions even when others doubt you. The thriving bond that accompanies familial love and the underlying pervasive truth the book echoes: evil only flourishes when good people refuse to do anything about it. This was a worthy read, and I recommend it to any lover of mystery books. I also look forward to reading the next installment.

Flowers of Evil
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Historical Fiction”