Review of Life Shattered

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Terry Kimble
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Web of Evil
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-terry-kimble.html
Latest Review: "Dumb" Orphans by Allan Low

Re: Review of Life Shattered

Post by Terry Kimble »

I think this book is already on my shelves, waiting to be read. I will have to check--they are piling up! :lol: If it is not there, I will add it. I enjoyed this review, Gerry, as I enjoy inspirational novels that detail an underdog's growth (from zero to hero! Haha). From your review, it sounds like the author has done a great job with character development, too. :D
Jaituni Sanghavi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 156
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jaituni-sanghavi.html
Latest Review: New Can Be Scary by Joyce Olsen

Post by Jaituni Sanghavi »

Wonderful review, Gerry! Loved the way you portrayed your thoughts about the book and learned from it as well!
I'm glad Delbert found a friend in Sylvia and a true teacher who recognized his abilities! :)
RJ Reviews
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 76
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rj-reviews.html
Latest Review: Jirvania by Jan Anderegg
Reading Device: 1400697484
2024 Reading Goal: 24
2024 Goal Completion: 95%

Post by RJ Reviews »

This book is so very different from others. I appreciate the positive outlook of this book. Thank you for your insightful review. A gifted mind will always stand out & this story proves that. Looking forward to read more from you.
"The gods grow jealous of too much contentment anywhere, and they show their displeasure all of a sudden.” - R. K. Narayan, Maldudi Days
Aleena Augustine
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aleena-augustine.html
Latest Review: The In-Between by Christian Espinosa

Post by Aleena Augustine »

This seems like a good read. Delbert's journey from adversity to success is inspiring and the themes of perseverance and support seem compelling. This is a book I'll pick up when I need that boost of motivation. Great job on the review, Gerry!
Zanne Crystle
Favorite Book: Rules of Redemption (The Firebird Chronicles Book 1)
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zanne-crystle.html
Latest Review: Hot Potato by Marty Katz

Post by Zanne Crystle »

This is a wonderful review, and it sounds like a great story. However, I must admit that I am a little hesitant to read stories about bullying. I have heard so many terrible stories about the impacts of bullying that I find it hard to read about. That being said, I do enjoy reading stories about people who overcome adversity and succeed despite the challenges they have faced in life. It is always inspiring to read about people who are able to turn their struggles into triumphs.
Susan Ledezma
Favorite Book: Somewhere in the Deep
Currently Reading: The Traitor's Game
Bookshelf Size: 79
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-susan-ledezma.html
Latest Review: Unsettled Disruption by Juana Catalina Rodriguez
2024 Reading Goal: 125
2024 Goal Completion: 30%

Post by Susan Ledezma »

Gerry Steen wrote: 14 Apr 2024, 09:35 [Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Life Shattered" by Sandy Graham.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

How do children manage to survive bullying in high school? What should be done to help gifted children avoid boredom and underachievement in high school? How does a person's mindset contribute to their likelihood of pursuing a career in engineering? Can high-school sweethearts dedicate their lives to each other and still have a full life? What are the requirements to become a test pilot in the Royal Canadian Air Force? How can a university student participate in research projects? If you would like to learn the answers to these questions, you should read the book entitled Life Shattered by Sandy Graham.

Delbert Pillage had a miserable life in high school. His peers constantly teased him about his large and uneven ears, raggedy clothes, and frail body. The school bullies roughed him up, embarrassed him, and stole his lunches. Delbert’s family was living near the poverty line. Despite his miserable existence, Delbert had a few things going for him. He possessed a gifted brain and a unique way of thinking. A shy and lovely girl named Sylvia formed a friendship with him. And, he had a math teacher who recognized his abilities. This heartwarming story illustrates how Delbert overcame adversity and soared to new heights.

While reading this book, I learned about the University of British Columbia, scientific research projects, how a university can assist gifted students, how one can become a test pilot for the RCAF, and how love can conquer all obstacles. Sandy Graham created realistic characters that the reader could believe in. As I read, I felt like a part of the supportive community that was helping Delbert to excel. I was cheering for him. The technical information used to describe Delbert’s scientific research and his flying of jets lent authenticity to the story and illustrated the workings of Delbert’s gifted mind.

I enjoyed reading this positive story. Delbert took stock of his opportunities and expressed gratitude for the support he received. Graham created strong characters who were outliers. Each of them captivated my interest. The story emphasized the values of perseverance, doing one’s best, humbleness, appreciation, loyalty, and kindness. I enjoyed how the author provided insight into the main characters' thoughts, sharing their hopes, doubts, and opinions. I recommend this novel for readers 16+ who love historical fiction, science, technology, and romance. I couldn't find any aspects to dislike about this book. Therefore, I gave it a rating of 5 out of 5 stars.

Life Shattered
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
This seems like a very positive and interesting story that could be of great value to many readers. The topics and values that it emphasizes are ones that I think are important to know. Overall, it seems like a great book that I would be happy to read. Thank you so much for the insightful review!
“Great books help you understand, and they help you feel understood.” -John Green :techie-studyinggray:
Amy Luman
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 2084
Bookshelf Size: 1017
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: Time Before Time by Dan DuBose
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

I can sure understand how your experience in high school can affect your life as a whole. Unfortunately, adults don’t always understand or believe what’s going on.
Priya Murugesan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-priya-murugesan.html
Latest Review: All Body Bags and No Knickers by Shawe Ruckus

Post by Priya Murugesan »

A very good review, Gerry! You have analyzed the book thoroughly and given a concise review. I would love to read this book!
In a world where you can be anything, be kind :)
Runan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-runan.html
Latest Review: Overcoming Systemic Prejudice and Discrimination by J. Dawson Williams, D. Min.
2024 Reading Goal: 20
2024 Goal Completion: 155%

Post by Runan »

I like reading positive stories and this one sure sounds like one from your review. I look forward to reading this brilliant gifted student’s journey. Thanks for sharing your honest opinions about this book.
Runan
Shirley Ann Riddern Labzentis
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 224
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shirley-ann-riddern-labzentis.html
Latest Review: The Girls in the Hall by Tony Andras
2024 Reading Goal: 30
2024 Goal Completion: 73%

Post by Shirley Ann Riddern Labzentis »

Fantastic review. I was never bullied in school, and neither were any of my friends, so I can't imagine what it is like to be harassed by your peers everyday. This is a great book for teenagers to read.
"Life is like a box of chocolates. You never know which one you are going to get!"
Tobi Adefila
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tobi-adefila.html
Latest Review: Sex and the Sixty Something Guy by Mr. X
2024 Reading Goal: 20
2024 Goal Completion: 20%

Post by Tobi Adefila »

Thanks for this lovely review Gerry. Personally, I can relate to this story, I know the feeling of being bullied. I'm just glad that Delbert is an intelligent child. Hopefully he is able to overcome whatever challenge he is facing. This is a story I would love to read.
Miriam Ratemo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 61

Post by Miriam Ratemo »

As someone who was bullied in school, you are either a bully or you get bullied and such a situation needs to be addressed immediately. If you tell an adult, they just bully you more and it is just a bad situation. You did a good job writing this review Gerry.
Dana Lawrence Lohn
Favorite Book: The Upstairs Delicatessen
Currently Reading: Shades of Rust and Ruin
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dana-lawrence-lohn.html
Latest Review: January 6th and the Millenial Horde by Andy lazris
2024 Goal Completion: 16%

Post by Dana Lawrence Lohn »

You’re the man and this is a very nice review! Curious, did he talk in the book about encountering bullying due to being named Delbert Pillage? That’s a tough name for a kid! I feel especially warm and fuzzy about Delbert in even larger part due to that.
Dana Lawrence Lohn
Favorite Book: The Upstairs Delicatessen
Currently Reading: Shades of Rust and Ruin
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dana-lawrence-lohn.html
Latest Review: January 6th and the Millenial Horde by Andy lazris
2024 Goal Completion: 16%

Post by Dana Lawrence Lohn »

Shirley Ann Riddern Labzentis wrote: 23 Apr 2024, 19:25 Fantastic review. I was never bullied in school, and neither were any of my friends, so I can't imagine what it is like to be harassed by your peers everyday. This is a great book for teenagers to read.
Shirley, I respect and agree with your thought. I wasn’t bullied either, and I am focused now with my daughters on making sure they are kindhearted girls who do not bully ANYONE.
Gerry Steen
Currently Reading: The Impossible Mock Orange Trial
Bookshelf Size: 180
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gerry-steen.html
Latest Review: Do You Really Want To Know? by Kate Fraser

Post by Gerry Steen »

Dana Lawrence Lohn wrote: 25 Apr 2024, 11:38 You’re the man and this is a very nice review! Curious, did he talk in the book about encountering bullying due to being named Delbert Pillage? That’s a tough name for a kid! I feel especially warm and fuzzy about Delbert in even larger part due to that.
Hi, Dana. The bullies often called him Pillboy or Pill. :techie-studyinggray:

Return to “Historical Fiction”