Review of The Tainted Jade

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Veronica Hunter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-veronica-hunter.html
Latest Review: Beating Death: Doorways to The Universe by Sean O’Banion

Review of The Tainted Jade

Post by Veronica Hunter »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Tainted Jade" by Richard Blaine.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

The Tainted Jade by Richard Blaine is a detective-mystery novel. It is a Michael Garrett mystery novel where the private detective uncovers the mystery surrounding a pair of jades and a string of murders associated with them. Garrett is hired by a man named Ordway, who asks him to represent him at an auction where he is to bid for a Marina Jade that is said to be worth a lot and has a certain mysterious history behind it. The Marina Jade is a pair, and the legend behind it is that anyone who tries to possess these figures and does not return them to their rightful owners will have destruction befall them. Despite the legend and all the stories behind the jades, they are still being pursued by certain people. The location where all the action goes down is El Paso, Texas. When Garrett arrives in El Paso, he begins to discover one murder after another, beginning with the man who hired him. It seems as if these jades bring death to whoever is involved in them, but is that truly the case, or are there other factors involved?

The Tainted Jade is a very rich and interesting mystery novel. It has all the ingredients necessary to keep the readers intrigued by the story. The mystery is top-notch; the legend of the jade and the mystery surrounding it make the story more interesting. The story contains several twists and turns, and you cannot predict what happens until you read to the last page. Garrett is not your usual run-of-the-mill private detective. He had served in the police and the armed forces and had the intuition to be able to find out the truth in cases, and this was what helped him find who was responsible for the murders committed.

What I enjoyed most about this book was the mystery surrounding the murders and the jade figures. The author creates such an intriguing story that it captured my attention. Another thing I loved about the book was the character Garrett. He was adamant about finding out the truth, even though he could have taken the easiest way out and gone back home, as we see in his refusal to bow to the wishes of the Colonel. He was dogged in his investigation, refusing to be intimidated by anyone like the Sheriff or Delmar or the fact that his life was threatened, and that was what made him admirable. 

I have nothing but praise for the author and this book. From the beginning to the end of the book, I found nothing to dislike about it. The characters played their roles well. Sheriff Stonebreaker was one character that surprised me in how he later helped in the end. I would say I liked how the story ended. It was an epic finale to the mystery of the tainted jade. I commend the author for this Michael Garrett mystery novel. Furthermore, I appreciate the impeccably edited style of the book.

The book was exceptional, the storyline was great, and the narrative was even more interesting. For all these qualities, the book is deserving of a perfect rating. I give the book 5 out of 5 stars. Richard Blaine blew my mind away with such an exceptional novel, especially the final twist at the end of the book. I recommend this book to lovers of detective mysteries and readers like myself who enjoy a good mystery novel and try to solve the mystery before the end of the book.

The Tainted Jade
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
williams Emerald
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: In It Together
Currently Reading: Trouble Ain't Nothin' But a Word
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-williams-emerald.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by williams Emerald »

Your review of “The Tainted Jade” by Richard Blaine paints a captivating picture of a gripping detective mystery filled with intrigue and suspense. You convey the essence of the story’s plot and the complexities surrounding the jade figures and the string of murders connected to them. Your admiration for the main character, Garrett, shines through as you highlight his determination and resilience in uncovering the truth, despite the dangers he faces. Your praise for the author’s storytelling and character development adds depth to your review, and your enthusiasm for the book is evident in your perfect rating. I like that your review effectively communicates the book’s strengths and will surely resonate with readers who enjoy a thrilling mystery that keeps them guessing until the very end.

Return to “Historical Fiction”