Review of Do You Really Want To Know?

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Abdulahi Tijani
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12

Re: Review of Do You Really Want To Know?

Post by Abdulahi Tijani »

You did a fantastic job with your review, which shows how much you must have enjoyed reading it.
I'll surely give it a try
Abdulahi Tijani
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12

Post by Abdulahi Tijani »

You did a great job with your review. I would surely be interested in knowing about Hungary's involvement in World War 2.
Thanks for the recommendation
Gerry Steen
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: The Impossible Mock Orange Trial
Bookshelf Size: 189
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gerry-steen.html
Latest Review: House of Eire by June Gillam

Post by Gerry Steen »

Abdulahi Tijani wrote: 21 Apr 2024, 17:49 You did a great job with your review. I would surely be interested in knowing about Hungary's involvement in World War 2.
Hi, Abdulahi. Thank you for your comments to my review. I did enjoy reading this book. I hope you continue to read and reply to my future reviews. Your comments will be appreciated. Welcome to the Online Book Club!
Dana Lawrence Lohn
Favorite Book: The Upstairs Delicatessen
Currently Reading: In the Garden of Beasts
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dana-lawrence-lohn.html
Latest Review: Ungraduated by Ken Hannaman
2024 Reading Goal: 125
2024 Goal Completion: 19%

Post by Dana Lawrence Lohn »

I like that this book contains some specificity around the Hungarian experience in WW2. I'm not sure I've encountered that in any other book I've read on the topic - I'll check it out. Great review G!
Elizabeth-Tush4Christ
Currently Reading: Photofinish
Bookshelf Size: 72
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elizabeth-tush4christ.html
Latest Review: E M P Honeymoon by Dorothy May Mercer
2024 Reading Goal: 30
2024 Goal Completion: 43%

Post by Elizabeth-Tush4Christ »

"Do You Really Want To Know"? is a captivating book of history the title draws its reader's curiosity. often, events of the past are not accurately shared by the media as they might be politically influenced to suit a narrative. I feel sad reading about war, but I'd rather find out the occurrences to avoid false narratives and understand what really happened during the War. This is such a good review as it shares what to expect. I can't begin to imagine what Marta must have been through to be disconnected from her heritage. I Will add this to my shelve.
That I may know Him :arrow: Philippians 3:10
Miriam Ratemo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 67
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-miriam-ratemo.html
Latest Review: Twisted But True by Darren Burch

Post by Miriam Ratemo »

It's important to remember the atrocities of war, not just on the field, but in everyday life of the affected civilians. I enjoy books that follow seemingly random people then slowly reveal
Gerry Steen

Post by Gerry Steen »

Abdulahi Tijani wrote: 21 Apr 2024, 17:49 You did a great job with your review. I would surely be interested in knowing about Hungary's involvement in World War 2.
Hi, Abdulahi. Thank you for replying to this review. I appreciate your comments. if you read this book, I hope you enjoy it and find it informative as I did. :techie-studyinggray:
Gerry Steen

Post by Gerry Steen »

Miriam Ratemo wrote: 24 Apr 2024, 18:12 It's important to remember the atrocities of war, not just on the field, but in everyday life of the affected civilians. I enjoy books that follow seemingly random people then slowly reveal
Hi, Miriam. If you, as you stated above, like books that follow seemingly random people and then slowly reveal, you will enjoy reading this book. Thank you for leaving a comment on my review. :techie-studyinggray:
Tomy Chandrafrost
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 63
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tomy-chandrafrost.html
Latest Review: Mountain Wave by Joe Albea, Nathan Summers

Post by Tomy Chandrafrost »

Thank you for writing this review. I think I need to read more book reviews about World War.
Your Sincerely
Tomy Chandra
mark liu
Currently Reading: If Time Stood Still
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mark-liu.html
Latest Review: Impromptu by Reid Hoffman

Post by mark liu »

I’ve always had a soft spot for historical novels- WWII being a particular interest of mine. This one really does sound well worth a read- especially interested about how the alternate 1960s plot line links in. Books like these are not only great bits of narration, but also so important in introducing people and educating them to history and the mistakes of war.
Risper Ouma Anyango
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-risper-ouma-anyango.html
Latest Review: Phobia Relief by Kalliope Barlis

Post by Risper Ouma Anyango »

The world war was a really.sad time in the world and full of so many sad events. Reading about it isn't easy and I keep wondering how people who witnessed some of the atrocities lived after. Were they even still sane.
Sarah Zain
Favorite Book: Wutheing heights
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 67
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-zain.html
Latest Review: EMA by Aian D. Grey

Post by Sarah Zain »

Your review is wonderful as usual, Gerry. But this topic does not attract me to read it. Perhaps what I always find useful from these stories is to remember that we are all human and deserve our freedom, regardless of our differences.
Life is hard on its own so let's make it easier for each other if we could.
Latest Review: EMA by Aian D. Grey
ethanhenry
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by ethanhenry »

Yes, I am ready to answer your question based on the provided sources.

LGA Airport Limo Service | LGA Airport Limo Service NY | LGA Airport Limousine Service | LGA Airport Car Service
<a href="https://roslynlimousine.com/limo-service-in-great-neck-ny">Limo Service In Great Neck NY</a>
Nikita Suthar 2
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nikita-suthar-2.html
Latest Review: The Unfakeable Code® by Tony Jeton Selimi
2024 Reading Goal: 6
2024 Goal Completion: 100%

Post by Nikita Suthar 2 »

What a great review, I'm overwhelmed!! I'm surely into knowing about Hungary's involvement in World War 2. This book is historical documentary but might full of mix emotions. Thanks for your thoughtful review!!
Oke Oluwasegun
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11

Post by Oke Oluwasegun »

Yeah Gerry, this is a poignant and harrowing tale, that Fraser skillfully weaves together the past and present, the horrors of war with its enduring consequences, to create a deeply moving narrative. The exploration of themes like identity, family, and the lingering trauma of wartime experiences makes it particularly poignant. The alternating timeline was well executed, with each time period shedding light on the others.

Marta’s struggle to connect with her parents, in the aftermath of their trauma, is especially heartbreaking, and categorically it speaks to a universal human longing for understanding and belonging.

Return to “Historical Fiction”