Review of Do You Really Want To Know?

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Gerry Steen
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: The Impossible Mock Orange Trial
Bookshelf Size: 182
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gerry-steen.html
Latest Review: Do You Really Want To Know? by Kate Fraser

Review of Do You Really Want To Know?

Post by Gerry Steen »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Do You Really Want To Know?" by Kate Fraser.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Would you like to brush up on the history of World War II? Are you curious about how Hungary was affected by the war? Would you like to know how survivors dealt with the atrocities they experienced at the hands of the Nazis? If you answered yes to these questions, you should read Do You Really Want To Know? by Kate Fraser.

Kate Fraser wrote this autofiction novel in the third-person narration style. The reader was made privy to the thoughts and dialogues of each of the main characters. The story connected childhood trauma during the war with struggles of finding one's identity and moving on from the past.

The narrative begins in 1962, in Elmsburg, New York. The reader is introduced to 13-year-old Marta. Next, the narrative switches to the Austrian Alps in 1945. Here we are introduced to Lili and Fritz. Lili has sprained her ankle on the mountain trail and is thinking about the gunshot she heard. Fritz hears barking dogs approaching. The story then shifts to Berlin, Germany in the year 1937. We are introduced to Vivien. She is a toddler. Her father is an officer in the Nazi regime’s armed force known as the Wehrmacht. As the plot unravels, the lives of these people become intertwined. We learn about their lives by alternating between the 1960s and World War II fifteen times. The story explores themes such as families emigrating from Germany and Austria to Hungary, the inhumanity of the Nazi regime, children losing their parents, rape, infidelity, survivor guilt, self-identity, and forgiveness.

The central focus of the narrative revolves around Marta. She is living with her parents, Lili and Fritz, who are immigrants. Lili and Fritz are holocaust survivors. They avoid discussing their painful past. As a result, Marta feels disconnected from her parents and struggles with her identity. This situation becomes quite challenging for the family when her school teacher, Mrs. Vivien Harris, assigns the class a project. The class project involves researching and sharing each student's family heritage.

The vivid descriptions of the chaos, fear, and brutality experienced by all during the Second World War kept me engrossed. I was saddened by Marta’s pining to know about her parents’ past. The events of World War II helped me empathize with the characters in the 1960s. I gained a lot of knowledge about Hungary's involvement in World War II. I was reminded that it is possible to resolve past traumas and that forgiveness can be liberating. This book was well-edited. I found nothing negative to report. Therefore, I gave this book 5 out of 5 stars.

Do You Really Want To Know?
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Amy Luman
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 2084
Bookshelf Size: 1017
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: Time Before Time by Dan DuBose
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

Anything about the Nazis, concentration camps, or D-day makes me very sad and I try to avoid it. It’s hard for me to believe that any human could be so cruel. I guess I shouldn’t be surprised.
Aleena Augustine
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aleena-augustine.html
Latest Review: The In-Between by Christian Espinosa

Post by Aleena Augustine »

Gerry Steen wrote: 15 Apr 2024, 19:20 [Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Do You Really Want To Know?" by Kate Fraser.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Would you like to brush up on the history of World War II? Are you curious about how Hungary was affected by the war? Would you like to know how survivors dealt with the atrocities they experienced at the hands of the Nazis? If you answered yes to these questions, you should read Do You Really Want To Know? by Kate Fraser.

Kate Fraser wrote this autofiction novel in the third-person narration style. The reader was made privy to the thoughts and dialogues of each of the main characters. The story connected childhood trauma during the war with struggles of finding one's identity and moving on from the past.

The narrative begins in 1962, in Elmsburg, New York. The reader is introduced to 13-year-old Marta. Next, the narrative switches to the Austrian Alps in 1945. Here we are introduced to Lili and Fritz. Lili has sprained her ankle on the mountain trail and is thinking about the gunshot she heard. Fritz hears barking dogs approaching. The story then shifts to Berlin, Germany in the year 1937. We are introduced to Vivien. She is a toddler. Her father is an officer in the Nazi regime’s armed force known as the Wehrmacht. As the plot unravels, the lives of these people become intertwined. We learn about their lives by alternating between the 1960s and World War II fifteen times. The story explores themes such as families emigrating from Germany and Austria to Hungary, the inhumanity of the Nazi regime, children losing their parents, rape, infidelity, survivor guilt, self-identity, and forgiveness.

The central focus of the narrative revolves around Marta. She is living with her parents, Lili and Fritz, who are immigrants. Lili and Fritz are holocaust survivors. They avoid discussing their painful past. As a result, Marta feels disconnected from her parents and struggles with her identity. This situation becomes quite challenging for the family when her school teacher, Mrs. Vivien Harris, assigns the class a project. The class project involves researching and sharing each student's family heritage.

The vivid descriptions of the chaos, fear, and brutality experienced by all during the Second World War kept me engrossed. I was saddened by Marta’s pining to know about her parents’ past. The events of World War II helped me empathize with the characters in the 1960s. I gained a lot of knowledge about Hungary's involvement in World War II. I was reminded that it is possible to resolve past traumas and that forgiveness can be liberating. This book was well-edited. I found nothing negative to report. Therefore, I gave this book 5 out of 5 stars.

As someone who's fond of history, this sounds like a powerful and thought-provoking read. I'm intrigued by how the book combines personal histories with major historical events. The themes of identity and forgiveness seem especially compelling. Great job on the review, Gerry!
Priya Murugesan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-priya-murugesan.html
Latest Review: All Body Bags and No Knickers by Shawe Ruckus

Post by Priya Murugesan »

A very interesting review by you! You have analysed the book well and I can see how much you loved the book!
In a world where you can be anything, be kind :)
Priya Murugesan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-priya-murugesan.html
Latest Review: All Body Bags and No Knickers by Shawe Ruckus

Post by Priya Murugesan »

A very interesting review by you! You have analysed the book well and I can see how much you loved the book!
In a world where you can be anything, be kind :)
Cristiano Bellucci
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cristiano-bellucci.html
Latest Review: The Aspen Tree by Bart LaRocca
2024 Reading Goal: 5
2024 Goal Completion: 520%

Post by Cristiano Bellucci »

Thank you very much, Gerry, for your great review. It is a wonderful book, intense, as it can be, writing about that specific period in time. I am glad, that you liked the story and the emotions.
Book allow you to fully explore a topic and immerse yourself in a deeper way than most media today. Mark Zuckerberg.
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Writings for the Vialins
Bookshelf Size: 432
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 45%

Post by NetMassimo »

I have very limited knowledge of the situation in Hungary during World War II, as Nazi brutal violence was widespread throughout most of Europe. This book is interesting because it offers a glimpse of that. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Marie Chalupová
In It Together VIP
Favorite Author: Brandon Sanderson
Currently Reading: The Will of the Many
Bookshelf Size: 2291
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marie-chalupov.html
Latest Review: The Very Hungry Beagles Guide to Poop by M. Jackson, Lucky, Mr. Beckham, Peanut
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 4040
2024 Reading Goal: 150
2024 Goal Completion: 32%

Post by Marie Chalupová »

It's important to remember the atrocities of war, not just on the field, but in everyday life of the affected civilians. I enjoy books that follow seemingly random people then slowly reveal the connections as the story progresses.
Martina Sette
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-martina-sette.html
Latest Review: Under The Elm by Ivana Christman
2024 Reading Goal: 30
2024 Goal Completion: 130%

Post by Martina Sette »

Your review offers a comprehensive glimpse into this book, and I think it's fantastic. I love books about identity and traumas. Great job!
Runan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-runan.html
Latest Review: Overcoming Systemic Prejudice and Discrimination by J. Dawson Williams, D. Min.
2024 Reading Goal: 20
2024 Goal Completion: 155%

Post by Runan »

It's painful to just read about the atrocities, and when I thinkthat people actually had to go through all of that at that time, it sends chills down my spine. I look forward to the author's brilliance in switching the timeline. As always, I enjoyed reading your review. Thanks for the wholesome review.
Runan
Tobi Adefila
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tobi-adefila.html
Latest Review: Sex and the Sixty Something Guy by Mr. X
2024 Reading Goal: 20
2024 Goal Completion: 20%

Post by Tobi Adefila »

What an interesting review. I don't really know much about what happened during world war II. I like the fact that the book talks about that. Thanks for this lovely review.
Susan Ledezma
Favorite Book: Somewhere in the Deep
Currently Reading: The Traitor's Game
Bookshelf Size: 79
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-susan-ledezma.html
Latest Review: Unsettled Disruption by Juana Catalina Rodriguez
2024 Reading Goal: 125
2024 Goal Completion: 30%

Post by Susan Ledezma »

Gerry Steen wrote: 15 Apr 2024, 19:20 [Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Do You Really Want To Know?" by Kate Fraser.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

I have always been a fan of historical fiction. This World War II story seems like an engaging and emotional novel. I believe that I would enjoy reading this book, I will definitely keep it in mind. Thank you for the well written review!
“Great books help you understand, and they help you feel understood.” -John Green :techie-studyinggray:
Jaituni Sanghavi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 156
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jaituni-sanghavi.html
Latest Review: New Can Be Scary by Joyce Olsen

Post by Jaituni Sanghavi »

What a great review, Gerry! I would surely be interested in knowing about Hungary's involvement in World War 2. Also, this story seems sad but at the same time interesting. Thank you for the recommendation.
Creole
Favorite Book: Tales from the Gray Area
Currently Reading: Adoka Son: Childhood Memoirs of An African
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-creole.html
Latest Review: Phobia Relief by Kalliope Barlis

Post by Creole »

World War 11 produced so many atrocities, affecting so many lives. We see that played out in this family's journey, and we can do no more than empathize. Your interesting review suggests a poignant, educative and reflective content. Congratulations to the writer.
Zanne Crystle
Favorite Book: Rules of Redemption (The Firebird Chronicles Book 1)
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zanne-crystle.html
Latest Review: Hot Potato by Marty Katz

Post by Zanne Crystle »

I think I'm still traumatized from reading The Diary of Anne Frank and seeing documentaries and movies surrounding these events. Although I appreciate your review, I don't think I will read this book as it deals with similar subject matters. However, considering the ongoing global events, I recognize the importance of discussing such topics; it’s crucial for people to comprehend the horrors of war.

Return to “Historical Fiction”