Review of The Promise

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
EBERE WRITES COCEPT
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 72
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ebere-writes-cocept.html
Latest Review: Island Girl by Charles R Hinckley

Review of The Promise

Post by EBERE WRITES COCEPT »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Promise" by Jean Hackensmith.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Jacob and Rebecca, once close friends, reunite years later. Jacob, a widowed professor, rushes to aid Rebecca in the Oklahoma panhandle during a drought. Despite initial resistance, Jacob's agricultural expertise helps, and their bond deepens. Rebecca's marriage proposal from Cole Anderson appeared suspicious to Jacob. Amidst challenges, including threats from Conner Anderson for their land, another tragedy strikes them that makes Rebecca feel sad for a long time. Conner's schemes escalate, but Cole's intervention saves the Walkers. They persevere, refusing to leave despite danger. Amidst turmoil, Matt's health crisis tests them further. Investigations ensue, uncovering dark truths about their adversaries. Cole's heroic act cements his place in the family, forging a new future for them all.

The Promise by Jean Hackensmith is a tale of friendship, perseverance, and the power of love set against the backdrop of the Oklahoma panhandle. The story unfolds with Jacob fulfilling a childhood promise to his friend Rebecca, journeying to her aid during a time of drought and hardship. As Jacob and Rebecca navigate personal struggles and confront adversities, including threats from a menacing neighbor, Hackensmith skillfully crafts a narrative that is both heartwarming and suspenseful. The themes of loyalty, family, and resilience are woven into the narrative, resonating with me on a deep emotional level.

My favorite character in the book is Matt. Even as a little boy, Matt was determined to protect and provide for his mother and siblings against all odds, which is something I truly admire about him. Even when Jacob arrived, that protective part of him was evident, making sure his family was doing well despite his young age. Another aspect I love about him is his wisdom. He knew that Jacob wouldn’t be safe going to the Anderson house alone, and Matt did the needful to protect Jacob. I eventually loved that little boy. That's why, when tragedy struck with him, my heart was in my throat.

There is nothing I didn’t like about the book. I was surprised by the extent of Jacob's willingness to sacrifice, which I found incredible. There were times when I disliked the relentless dusters they faced. I felt sympathy for the family due to the hardships they endured in that drought-stricken land. Yet, despite this, a part of me didn't want them to leave the Oklahoma Panhandle. The place felt like home to me as well.

I rate the book 5 out of 5 stars because the story was incredibly relatable. It felt like I could envision a world where the events of the story actually happened. I found myself not wanting the story to end. From the strategies Jacob employed to safeguard the crops to the deep bond forged among the characters as they persevered together, it deeply resonated with me. I recommend the book to readers who enjoy heartwarming stories about friendship, fans of romance, historical fiction, family dramas, and tales set in rural or agricultural settings.

The Promise
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Historical Fiction”