Review of MISNEACH, The Story of Flora MacDonald

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Theresa Moffitt
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 297
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-theresa-moffitt.html
Latest Review: McCurdy Investigations by Melvin Deforest
2024 Reading Goal: 20
2024 Goal Completion: 45%

Review of MISNEACH, The Story of Flora MacDonald

Post by Theresa Moffitt »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "MISNEACH, The Story of Flora MacDonald" by K.L. Huntley.]
Book Cover
4 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Misneach, The Story of Flora MacDonald by K.L. Huntley is a fascinating story. The book is historical fiction based on the life of Flora MacDonald. She is an important historical figure in Scotland. Misneach means courage in the Gaelic language. The author provided readers with a list of several Gaelic words and their English translations. I found this list extremely helpful while reading the book. Flora MacDonald was a courageous woman who played a significant role in Scottish history by helping Charles Edward Stuart escape from Scotland after the Battle of Culloden. After the Jacobite loss at the Battle of Culloden, Stuart needed to get out of the country quickly. With Flora’s help, he was disguised as her maid and traveled with her.

The book details her actions to aid Stuart and the aftermath. She became a hero for the Scottish people who believed that Stuart was the rightful heir to the throne. However, when news of her actions reached the British government, she was concerned that she would be arrested. If you do not know the story of Flora MacDonald, you will have to read the book to learn the details of this time in her life. The book also details her life after the incident. Eventually, she and her family moved to the United States of America. During this time, the Revolutionary War is just beginning. She faced extreme difficulties in a new country when her husband decided to enlist in the British army.

What I liked most about this book is the author’s attention to detail. The author conveyed a variety of details about life during these years. A considerable amount of research was conducted to convey such captivating details about Flora and the life she led. The story is also humorous at times. For example, Flora tried to speak Gaelic to Stuart, but he could not speak the language. So, they had to speak to each other in French because it was a language they both understood. Flora was shocked to learn that Stuart could not speak the Scottish language when he was expected to be the King of Scotland.

What I did not like about the book was the number of errors. There were over ten errors in the book. For this reason, I am unable to give the book a perfect rating. It is a well-researched book that conveys the lives and personalities of these historical figures very well. It is entertaining to read and provides details about the history of Scotland. I recommend this book to readers who enjoy historical fiction books. I give Misneach, The Story of Flora MacDonald a rating of 4 out of 5 stars. With additional editing, it would be worthy of a perfect rating.

MISNEACH, The Story of Flora MacDonald
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Anozie Stephanie
Currently Reading: Summer's Promise
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anozie-stephanie.html
Latest Review: A Walk Through the Grapes by David Jackson

Post by Anozie Stephanie »

I love when women makes it to the history books, and it shows that women are capable of achieving great things. Flora MacDonald did great in helping Scotland.

Return to “Historical Fiction”