Review of “TREMAINE”

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Kigen Valarie
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Author: Amy K Collier
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 84
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kigen-valarie.html
Latest Review: I Wonder Why It's Christmas by Esther Ekunola
fav_author_id: 281506
2024 Reading Goal: 240
2024 Goal Completion: 11%

Review of “TREMAINE”

Post by Kigen Valarie »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "“TREMAINE”" by James Harold Kelly.]
Book Cover
4 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Tremaine: A Lakota Warrior in Roosevelt's Rough Riders is Tremaine "Running Deer" Mackenzie's story. A Lakota boy of the Brule tribe raised in the 'White man's world' as a result of a relationship formed between two people from different cultures during the Great Sioux War.

Shadow Hawk and Joshua Mackenzie had been friends, two men fighting different sides in the war. Unfortunately, Shadow Hawk fell during the war, but not before ensuring his friend Joshua promised to raise his son "Running Deer" in the White man's world. Tremaine "Running Deer" Mackenzie grew up in a loving family, being raised in different barracks, including Fort Robinson, Nebraska, while visiting his grandfather, Lone Elk, on the reservations. Being a Lakota Brule child, Tremaine faced discrimination in different phases of life. However, growing up as a warrior ended up exposing Tremaine to a lot of adventures, including working as a tracker and a guide at a young age just before he decided to follow his ambitions and thereafter the call for volunteers for the Spanish-American War.

Tremaine: A Lakota Warrior in Roosevelt's Rough Riders by James Harold Kelly is a historical fiction book that builds on many historical events in the late 19th century to create a gripping and thrilling narrative of a foreign boy in a native world. Tremaine's life is the pivotal point in the book, exploring the hurdles he had to go through as he grew up. This features his responsibility to his family as well as the responsibilities he feels inclined to both as the son of the Lakota tribe and the son of the white Lieutenant, Joshua Tremaine Mackenzie.

James Harold Kelly has provided a great history of the Lakota tribe, the progress of the Sioux War, and the beginning to the end of the Spanish-American War. Being a historical book, the descriptions of the lifestyle and the interactions during these times have not been missed. It is a journey around America in the impounds of the 19th century.

I rate Tremaine: A Lakota Warrior in Roosevelt's Rough Riders by James Harold Kelly 4 out of 5 stars. The depiction of historical figures including Theodore Roosevelt, McKinley, Russell A. Alger, Shafter, and many others ensured the feeling of a great reconstruction, although it was a fictional story. The editing needs a little polishing, which is why I deducted a star from the rating.

This is a book that includes a lot of action, especially in the field. It is written at a pace that ensures a detailed description of events. However, I noted a few instances that were fast-paced and went over details in the shortest description possible. This is not necessarily a negative aspect, but it deviated from the normal pace, making the scenes look like add-ons made after the writing of the story. This is a great improvement point for the book, and I find no reason that this factor could discourage one from reading the book. I noted no other negative aspect aside from this.

I recommend Tremaine: A Lakota Warrior in Roosevelt's Rough Riders to readers interested in historical events and war stories. It is a book that provides entertainment as well as insight into historical events.

“TREMAINE”
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Life will go whichever way. Changing it is up to a very powerful force :|

Return to “Historical Fiction”