Official Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
todwyer01
Currently Reading: From the Fatherland with love
Bookshelf Size: 143
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-todwyer01.html

Re: Official Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner

Post by todwyer01 »

From a sampling, this is an interesting historical fiction/fantasy story revolving around the Celtic people and their relationship with the Romans. This book shows great character development and I feel it is worth a second look. Well done.
Omneya Shakeep
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Catching Genesis
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 162
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-omneya-shakeep.html
Latest Review: The Movie Chair by Shari Borkin

Post by Omneya Shakeep »

Celtic and Roman mythologies are my favorite; I like historical fiction in general and with how high this book is rated, I think it'll be one of my favorites. It is now definitely on my to-read list. Great review!
"Those who feel grateful, and are eternally generous, experience life at its richest."
Rob White.
JamesArcher0423
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jamesarcher0423.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by JamesArcher0423 »

"Apollo's Raven" by Linnea Tanner is a historical fiction novel that transports readers to ancient Britannia, a time when powerful Druids and Celtic warriors fought against Roman invaders. While the premise is certainly intriguing, the execution falls short.

One of the main issues with the novel is its pacing. The plot moves too quickly, with events unfolding rapidly and without enough time for readers to fully grasp their significance. As a result, the story feels rushed and lacks depth.

Another issue is the character development. The protagonist, Catrin, is the daughter of a Celtic king and possesses a special gift that allows her to communicate with animals. However, her gift seems to be more of a plot device than a fully fleshed-out character trait. She also lacks complexity and comes across as one-dimensional. The other characters are similarly underdeveloped, making it difficult for readers to become emotionally invested in their fates.

The writing itself is also problematic. The author frequently relies on clichéd descriptions and awkward phrasing that detract from the overall reading experience. The dialogue feels stilted and unnatural, making it difficult to connect with the characters.

That being said, there are some positive aspects to the novel. The historical setting is well-researched and the author's passion for the subject matter is evident. Additionally, the action scenes are well-written and keep the plot moving forward.

Overall, "Apollo's Raven" has an interesting premise but fails to deliver on its potential. The pacing, character development, and writing all leave something to be desired. While it may appeal to fans of historical fiction set in ancient times, readers looking for a more polished and engaging novel may want to look elsewhere.
Mbad2k
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Mbad2k »

Catrin and her Raven are sure to develop a story full of mystery and purpose.
Shimwati Moody
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-frankline-shimwati.html
Latest Review: Reconfigurement by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Shimwati Moody »

I absolutely love Linnea Tanner's Apollo's Raven. The story is well-paced and engaging, with interesting characters and a unique setting. The world-building is fantastic, and the story really draws you in and keeps you hooked until the end. I especially appreciate the way the author manages to weave Greek mythology into the story without it feeling forced or shoehorned in. It's a wonderful read, and I highly recommend it.
Amprye
Currently Reading: The Autobiography of Malcolm X
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amprye.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by Amprye »

The cover reminds me of a video game. The mythology and ancient history is probably great for those who like fantasy novels. Congratulations on book of the day!
Anna_Hernandez
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: American Dirt
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anna-hernandez.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Anna_Hernandez »

I am glad you enjoyed Apollo's Raven :) I have read it before and enjoyed the build-up of characters throughout the book, even the villain had a mystique around him. Book two is on my list, and I can't wait to read it. Great review!
Azuka Jessica
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-azuka-jessica.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Azuka Jessica »

Wow... A prophecy... The prophecy being rewritten... The princess and a young Roman Falling in love... These twists and turns makes me want to get started on this book immediately. Congratulations to the author on winning book of the day.
Prosper Chukwuemeka 1
Currently Reading: Fireproof Happiness
Bookshelf Size: 17

Post by Prosper Chukwuemeka 1 »

This book has a lot of interesting treasures inside. Unlock it if you are a lover of top-notch book.
Ivy_Nesty28
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ivy-nesty28.html
Latest Review: Not Fishy Enough by Briton Kolber

Post by Ivy_Nesty28 »

A wonderful storyline. I am also someone who enjoys reading about history and this book has interesting elements for me. The romance and the fantasy can make anyone love this.
Stephen Christopher 1
Favorite Book: The Book Thief
Currently Reading: Photofinish
Bookshelf Size: 137
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephen-christopher-1.html
Latest Review: Sh*t Happens by Gavin L James.
2024 Reading Goal: 25
2024 Goal Completion: 44%

Post by Stephen Christopher 1 »

Hi Cristina, I'm not usually a fan of this genre. I did download the sample and read the first few pages and decided I didn't want to read further. But then I read your review and you changed my mind. So I'm going to give it another go. Thanks for opening my eyes.
Cheryl Chen
Currently Reading: The Inner CEO
Bookshelf Size: 27

Post by Cheryl Chen »

This is an interesting and very well-written review of the book!
Ndagire Hassifah1
Favorite Book: Hemingway’s daughter
Currently Reading: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci
Bookshelf Size: 233
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ndagire-hassifah1.html
Latest Review: Endgame by William Reed

Post by Ndagire Hassifah1 »

I'm a fan of historical novel and this seems like an interesting read. I would love to know if Princess Catrina and Marcellus would choose their blooming love or their loyalty to their kingdoms. Great review and congrats to the BOTD.
Rxynx
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Soul Seeker
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rxynx.html
Latest Review: Three loves and other stories by Lata Gullapalli

Post by Rxynx »

This narrative is a bit overwhelming with how many characters are woven into the story. After reading your summarized review, I feel like there are too many characters for my mind to follow along with. Although not for me personally, your review at least provides insightful information for any curious readers that enjoy historical fantasies!
Scerakor
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 315
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scerakor.html
Latest Review: Gaslighting & Narcissistic Abuse Recovery: by Don Barlow

Post by Scerakor »

Not only is the plot enticing, as a fantasy focused around the Celtic tribes in Roman times, the review is absolutely glowing in its praise. I may have to check this one out quickly.

Return to “Historical Fiction”