Official Review: The Warramunga's War by Greg Kater [February 2019 Book of the Month]

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Creole
Favorite Book: Tales from the Gray Area
Currently Reading: Trapped in Pairadice
Bookshelf Size: 74
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-creole.html
Latest Review: 2084 by Kadon Landon Peterson

Re: Official Review: The Warramunga's War by Greg Kater [February 2019 Book of the Month]

Post by Creole »

Your review has set the tone for reading this novel. Thank you. James and Jack have their sleuthing work cut out for them. I'll join the adventure. Great BOTD.
mrlefty0706
In It Together VIP
Favorite Author: Jack Winnick
Favorite Book: What If They Knew
Currently Reading: This Is Your Last Warning
Bookshelf Size: 565
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 77547
2024 Reading Goal: 150
2024 Goal Completion: 52%

Post by mrlefty0706 »

The Warramunga's War is the first book in a 3-book series. It is historical fiction that takes place in the early 1940s during WWII. The two main characters are James Munro and Jack O'Brien, members of the Australian troops that fought against the Nazi Vichy French in Syria and Lebanon. After the Syrian Campaign James and Jack were promoted and transferred to Cairo, Egypt to join the army's intelligence agency in Cairo. Their job was to detect and neutralize the German agents that were feeding information to Rommel, commander of the Afrika Korps. Cairo had many agents from Germany, Italy, the United Kingdom and other countries all trying to gather information about troop deployments and battle plans. James and Jack were exposed to spies, crime and adventure on a daily basis. Were they successful? Did they help the Allies defeat the Nazis and Mussolini armies? The sample starts in the middle of a battle and made me wonder if this would be the end for these two friends. Good review of an exciting thriller.
Rodel Barnachea
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Lemony Snicket
Currently Reading: The Unfakeable Code®
Bookshelf Size: 84
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rodel-barnachea.html
Latest Review: An Accessible Iliad by Emer Jackson
fav_author_id: 5004

Post by Rodel Barnachea »

The unlikely relationship between the two main characters will be worth reading as we learn more about their personality, cultural difference, and relationship dynamics. Congratulations to the author for BOTD!
Judiasanti
Currently Reading: The M&M Boys
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-judiasanti.html
Latest Review: Jesus, Prosperity Gospel and Poverty in Africa by Elijah Oladimeji

Post by Judiasanti »

A war story that sets of 1940 in the Nazi era. Reading the review I can sense the suspenseful storyline. I like the historical fiction, and this book will list on my bookshelf. Thanks to your great review.
Wayne Njoroge
Favorite Book: The Dark Web Murders
Currently Reading: Bloody Redemption
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wayne-njoroge.html
Latest Review: Because He Loved Us by Sharon Williams

Post by Wayne Njoroge »

I appreciate historical fiction novels. Especially those that focus on Egyptian history and mythology. The mystery and suspense in this novel is captivating.
Damian Keyes
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 129
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-damian-keyes.html
Latest Review: Last Minute Wedding Date by Anthony george
2024 Reading Goal: 30
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by Damian Keyes »

Books that are set during wartime have always been my least favorite type of book to read; I rather see the movie. But, it's something about this partnership that James and Jack have that's got me interested in learning if they will be able to complete their task at hand. Congrats to the author for having the BOTD.
Reva Parker
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: Life
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 470
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reva-parker.html
Latest Review: Dear Abigail by Richard Rees

Post by Reva Parker »

Thank you for your great review. With your review I wish I liked war stories. The characters do sound interesting. I do believe those that like war stories and historical fiction should really like this one.
Abiodunakinola
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abiodunakinola.html
Latest Review: Relieved by Cheryl Richardson

Post by Abiodunakinola »

This is a book that talks about how James and Jack work as an army intelligence agents in Cairo with the mission of detecting and neutralizing the German agents who are in contact with Rommel, the commander of the Afrika Korps. The book is easy to read, and the characters are well-developed and unique. I am glad you enjoyed reading this book. Nice review.
Alice Fu
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: What Every Teen Should Know About Money, Accumulating Wealth and Becoming a Millionaire
Bookshelf Size: 99
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alice-fu.html
Latest Review: The Caroler by Liza Martini

Post by Alice Fu »

Thanks for writing this review! Although I typically am not a fan of books with an Egyptian background as a setting, this book sounds like a very interesting read and I hope it finds the right people!
Pauline Parnell
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Beyond the Clouds, the Sky is Blue
Bookshelf Size: 517
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pauline-parnell.html
Latest Review: One Jesus, One Way by The Proving Jesus Group

Post by Pauline Parnell »

Novels in the historical fiction genre are generally well received. Jamie and Jack will meet on the battle field of Syria and save each other. Military's duties will keep both together doing espionage against German operatives in Egypt. A wonderful tale of loyalty and friendship.
Atieno Magero
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 144
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-atieno-magero.html
Latest Review: Stevie Tenderheart Books WAIT A MINUTE! (An Illustrated Novella) by Steve William Laible

Post by Atieno Magero »

I love that this book is of the historical fiction genre. The storyline is captivating and I love that the book is well written. Congratulations on making book of the day!
peter-turo
Favorite Book: Rescuing General Patton
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-peter-turo.html
Latest Review: Building A Coaching Culture by Andreas Von Der Heydt

Post by peter-turo »

I like that this historical fiction novel explores the themes of teamwork, dedication, determination, and love. Seems a great choice to pick. Congrats for a great review.
Yamini mathur
Currently Reading: Hill of Souls
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yamini-mathur.html
Latest Review: The Maestro Monologue by Rob White
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Yamini mathur »

Great review. At the mention of Cairo, I'd love to see the place through the authors' eyes and also, especially as I love history. I believe the past has clues for the present.
Joyce Nwaogazie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 90
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joyce-nwaogazie.html
Latest Review: We Stand Here as A millionaire by Joan Gross

Post by Joyce Nwaogazie »

A historical fiction book about war and espionage? Count me in! The narratives will always be fascinating to read, and the historical places and events that would be mentioned will always be enthralling, and this book did just that. I love the fervency of Lieutenant James Munro and Corporal Jack O'Brien. Their story is a good one to read. Congratulations on being the Book of the Day.
Uchechukwu Fortune Njoku
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-uchechukwu-fortune-njoku.html
Latest Review: Reconfigurement by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Uchechukwu Fortune Njoku »

Such a great story. And your reviews is very caotivationmg, it draws the readers in to want to discover the story the more. Thank you for such a great review. I look forward to reading the book.

Return to “Historical Fiction”