Featured Official Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And... [November 2019 Book of the Month]

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Eunice Geres
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 145
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eunice-geres.html
Latest Review: Reflections by Dan Babcock

Re: Featured Official Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And... [November 2019 Book of the Month]

Post by Eunice Geres »

I am not a fan of reading historical books usually. However, I've been interested to learn more about the Vietnam war. Maybe this book can help me learn something about it.
PinkRose572
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 124
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chika-oroke.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by PinkRose572 »

This is just horrible. How could the Veterans Affair department deny the soldiers they sent out to defend the county's cause refuse to provide them proper care? I sure hopes to read more I not this book, and I am glad Miller's word choices are engaging. I hope it keeps me for as long as necessary to finish the book.
Tokede Kolawole
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tokede-kolawole.html
Latest Review: Stevie Tenderheart Books A Second Kiss Goodnight (A Bedtime Story) by Steve William Laible

Post by Tokede Kolawole »

The aftermath of war is not a walk in the park for many soldiers. Like the ones in this book, after fighting for their country, they had to fight their country's administration in order to get their compensation for illness contracted in the line of duty.
Temi Book
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 75
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-temi-book.html
Latest Review: Black Wing Sky by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Temi Book »

This snivel tells one about the war from someone who was in it, right from the training days to the full blown war. Well written review!
Nerea
Favorite Author: William H. Coles
Favorite Book: Diamond and Pearls
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 673
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nerea.html
Latest Review: Little White Lies by JC Anderson
Reading Device: Laptop
fav_author_id: 89641
Signature Addition: No Wahala

Post by Nerea »

Historical books are quite educational. They help us know and understand better past events that we in this era weren't eyewitnesses. I find this book to portray valuable history about Vietnamese and the war. I will complete reading the book. Congratulations on being the BOTD.
"Regular reading improves your grammar."
No Wahala
Park Cherri
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-park-cherri.html
Latest Review: The Eavesdropper by Peter Wise

Post by Park Cherri »

This is a great book. While reading it, I was confused at first with the language used by the soldiers, but with time, I got used to it and I was able to understand them. Nice review!
Tosin Le
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tosin-le.html
Latest Review: The BLACK BOTTOM by Theo Czuk

Post by Tosin Le »

I'm not an ardent lover of historical fiction books, so I didn't fully connect with it. However, I love the fact that its plot is engaging and well-detailed. Congrats on BOTD.
mytkreadingreview
Currently Reading: Holding Fire
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mytkreadingreview.html
Latest Review: Scam Story by Gini Graham Scott
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by mytkreadingreview »

A Naval war involves a young man who barely out of high school when he begin to serve as a Deadly Water sailor, with that little experience he had he arrived in Vietnam with his colleagues, they faced many war horrors which made them to suffer from illness call Orange chemical. It is even hurting the when Veterans department refuses a well deserved compesation
Soraya Ferreira
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13

Post by Soraya Ferreira »

Reading the few pages of this book, sets the scene for what the reader can expect, however, there is much surprises, twist and turns. The review nails the storyline and it makes me want to read the entire book, because it has piqued my curiosity. A great read, a "must" read. Thank you
Sasikala gupta
Currently Reading: The Magician's Secret
Bookshelf Size: 92
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sasikala-gupta.html
Latest Review: Not Fishy Enough by Briton Kolber
2024 Reading Goal: 20
2024 Goal Completion: 35%

Post by Sasikala gupta »

After reading the book you feel so emotional for the war veterans who had gone to war for your country and how the government treatment of them. The characters were so well written. A very fine book to read
Reading is like opening a door to another world :techie-studyinggray: :techie-reference:

Return to “Historical Fiction”