Featured Official Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And... [November 2019 Book of the Month]

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Prince Oyedeji Oyeleke Jayeola
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Fireproof Happiness
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prince-oyedeji-oyeleke-jayeola.html
Latest Review: The Targeted Fictional Trilogy by DJ Chris

Re: Featured Official Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And... [November 2019 Book of the Month]

Post by Prince Oyedeji Oyeleke Jayeola »

A man once said that in a war there are no victors or vanquish just survivors and those whose blood was wasted. This book has reaffirmed this quote and I pray for peace in the souls of all dead soldiers, those living, and everyone else affected. Congratulations on botd!
Azuka Jessica
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-azuka-jessica.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Azuka Jessica »

I can see that the author made sure to pass the right emotions in this book. War is a very serious thing, especially the psychological change that comes after it. I am looking forward to reading the story of the Vietnam war through this book. Congratulations to the author!
Alice Fu
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: What Every Teen Should Know About Money, Accumulating Wealth and Becoming a Millionaire
Bookshelf Size: 99
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alice-fu.html
Latest Review: The Caroler by Liza Martini

Post by Alice Fu »

I am actually currently taking a class that is studying the topic of war, so I find that my encounter across this book appears to me quite a coincidence. I can only imagine the pains the main character has to go through in the Vietnam War.
mrlefty0706
In It Together VIP
Favorite Author: Jack Winnick
Favorite Book: What If They Knew
Currently Reading: This Is Your Last Warning
Bookshelf Size: 565
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 77547
2024 Reading Goal: 150
2024 Goal Completion: 52%

Post by mrlefty0706 »

"Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War and Its Aftermath" by Randy Miller follows the life of a fictional character from Vermont named Zack Martin. Zach is a young naval enlistee and ended up on a ship in Vietnam. They not only fought battles with the North Vietnamese but they also suffered from illnesses related to Agent Orange and the VA refused to compensate them for their illnesses. I have a brother-in-law that served in the Navy during the Vietnam war that passed away from cancer 30 years ago that was caused by exposure to Agent Orange. My sister never received any compensation for his inoperable tumor lodged behind his eye. This story definitely hit home when I read the sample and the official review. My only issue with the book is the exaggerated southern accents and I could see why the sailors from northern states had trouble understanding them. Very good review.
Zainab Wasif
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zainab-wasif.html
Latest Review: All Body Bags and No Knickers by Shawe Ruckus

Post by Zainab Wasif »

This historical fiction gives a look into the intriguing lives of naval soldiers in the Vietnam war. They suffer physically and mentally
with no support from the government. I would like to learn more about the unforgettable characters that the author has developed in this narrative.
Mutuma Clare
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mutuma-clare.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by Mutuma Clare »

I am a huge fan of historical fiction. Can't wait to read another perspective on the Vietnam war. Congratulations on BOTD!
Wayne Njoroge
Favorite Book: The Dark Web Murders
Currently Reading: Bloody Redemption
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wayne-njoroge.html
Latest Review: Because He Loved Us by Sharon Williams

Post by Wayne Njoroge »

An interesting historical fiction novel that is based on true events the author lived through during the Vietnam war.
Leonie Vermaak
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 598
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leonie-vermaak.html
Latest Review: All Body Bags and No Knickers by Shawe Ruckus

Post by Leonie Vermaak »

I'm very intrigued after I've read the sample, the author had the ability to draw the reader in from the beginning of the book. Although I'm not fond of war stories I'm definitely considering reading this. Well done on a insightful review.
ikechukwuamarachi+55
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 323
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ikechukwuamarachi-55.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by ikechukwuamarachi+55 »

From the review, I like the fact that the author was able to make the story as real as possible, especially the character Zach. Nice review!
Adrian Rondon Salazar
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adrian-rondon-salazar.html
Latest Review: Love and Marriage by Arthur Hartz

Post by Adrian Rondon Salazar »

Deadly Waters is a book that is based on true events. The author recounts the life of Zachariah Martin, a naive young man who experiences terrible things in the Vietnam War. His health is compromised by the chemicals he was exposed to. I love the cover, and it seems to be an elaborate story. Thanks for the review.
MsChet Cherry
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mschet-cherry.html
Latest Review: Snippets from a Twisted Mind by Sean O’Banion

Post by MsChet Cherry »

It's incredible to think that an administration did not recognize such a genuine sacrifice from its people who almost lost their lives trying to honour their nation.
This sounds like a very engaging and thought provoking story.
Thanks for the great review.
Rocky Ellery James Tumbelaka
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 259
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rocky-ellery-james-tumbelaka.html
Latest Review: Snippets from a Twisted Mind by Sean O’Banion

Post by Rocky Ellery James Tumbelaka »

A very interesting book. Many books told the story of soldiers in the battlefields. All of the are very touching and heart-wrenching. I have no doubt that this book will be a good read. Thanks for the review.
Esther Godwin Ogechi
Currently Reading: Adventures with Pop Pop at Grant’s Farm
Bookshelf Size: 94
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-esther-godwin-ogechi.html
Latest Review: Worldmaker of Yand - Eltanin by Andri E. Elia

Post by Esther Godwin Ogechi »

Great book indeed, but I'm not going to be reading this.
For I know the thought I have for you, says the Lord, thoughts of peace, not of evil, to give you an expected end.Jeremiah 29:11
Mayuri Kotalawala
Currently Reading: The Spiritual Treasure Trove
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mayuri-kotalawala.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by Mayuri Kotalawala »

He can balance the heart-wrenching experiences of war while still inserting aspects of humor into the storyline. As the book begins, a terrifying yet humorous character is introduced.
-Even the most difficult of situations can be overcome by humor. I like this book because of how it was reviewed. Thank you!
John Arun Kumar
Currently Reading: Worldlines
Bookshelf Size: 176
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-john-arun-kumar.html
Latest Review: Sophistries of Summer Days by Jenny Lofters

Post by John Arun Kumar »

This is a historical fiction. Randy Miller seems to have done his research and written so well this war fiction addressing some of the issues the war heroes had after the Vietnam war. Your review is equally good. I would like to read the book sometime. Congratulations on the BOTD!

Return to “Historical Fiction”