Featured Official Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And... [November 2019 Book of the Month]

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Mayang Bature
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 296
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mayang-bature.html
Latest Review: Love on the Horizon by Emory Dillon

Re: Featured Official Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And... [November 2019 Book of the Month]

Post by Mayang Bature »

Understanding more about the Vietnam War has always interested me. I think reading this book would be enlightening. This review was excellent.
Cristina Corui Mihailescu
In It Together VIP
Favorite Author: Christine M. Whitehead
Favorite Book: In It Together
Currently Reading: Shadow Song
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cristina-corui-mihailescu.html
Latest Review: What is Autism? by Damien Rist
fav_author_id: 8698

Post by Cristina Corui Mihailescu »

Very thorough review of an interesting book. I was born in the times of Vietnam war so I can still be interested in the miriad of war stories. Sorry for the way war vet were treated back home.
Famzi Ken
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-famzi-ken.html
Latest Review: My Pound of Flesh by William Thielman

Post by Famzi Ken »

This story has an interesting plot. I'm surprised that it's a real-life story. Since Randy Miller is described as a good writer, it means that the book was written well. So I'd like to read it. Great review.
Pretty Nicholas
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pretty-nicholas.html
Latest Review: Timewise by Robert Leet

Post by Pretty Nicholas »

I can observe that this book is action-filled. I am not a fan of this kind of book, but your review is really amazing and engaging. Great review. Congratulations on BOTD.
Adeolaoskydeelight
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adeolaoskydeelight.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill

Post by Adeolaoskydeelight »

Being based on a factual event makes The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermaths a more captivating historical fiction novel. Even though the soldiers battle with patriotic hearts, many go unnoticed. Such men, who gave their lives in service to their country, deserve nothing but regret. Fascinating review.
bibimahkh1960
Currently Reading: If Life Stinks, Get Your Head Outta Your But's
Bookshelf Size: 96
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bibimahkh1960.html
Latest Review: “Wisdom Of The Men” by Clint Arthur

Post by bibimahkh1960 »

Thank you for your review. Using a fictional character to convey the harsh realities of life is a creative way of getting readers to feel the emotions that go with them. This sounds like a very compelling read that raises expectations beyond that of a typical non-fiction book.
Cheryl Erickson
Currently Reading: 3 Sisters 3 Weeks 3 Countries (Still Talking)
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cheryl-erickson.html
Latest Review: The Caroler by Liza Martini
2024 Reading Goal: 24
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by Cheryl Erickson »

I can tell from the book sample that the author has a great writing style. The book review was descriptive and well done. Readers of historical fiction will love this story about Zack's experiences during and after the Vietnam War.
Nemanja Jankovic
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 545
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nemanja-jankovic.html
Latest Review: Phobia Relief by Kalliope Barlis

Post by Nemanja Jankovic »

"Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath" by Randy Miller tells the story of a young man from a rural Vermont who at a very young age signed up to serve as a Blue Water Navy sailor. The further life path of young Zachariah Martin will lead him to war-torn Vietnam.
Zarif Sedin
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Zarif Sedin »

It's not easy for a man to leave his family, loved ones, and friends and go for a war that possibly couldn't be back from. In my country they say "war makes men" but the question is does the government send you to justice war that brings honour to your nation? You go for a duty but there is a lot you don't know behind the scenes.
The book is a good book that takes you in a journey makes you live different feelings and put you inside real stories happened to real people.
Thanks for good review 👍.
Monique Kings
Currently Reading: Travels Into Discomfort
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-monique-kings.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill

Post by Monique Kings »

It does sound like an interesting book from the review you have shared, but it being about the war including the emotional experiences highlighted, it's not really one I would read. Appreciate your review though
Amprye
Currently Reading: The Autobiography of Malcolm X
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amprye.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by Amprye »

The Vietnam war was such a polarizing and impactful event. It is nice that this book highlights the trauma and emotions. Congratulations on book of the day!
Misael Carlos
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Sins of a Master Race
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 213
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-misael-carlos.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Misael Carlos »

I’m looking forward to digging into this novel to be with the young man Zachariah Martin as he go on his journey as he faced the war horrors in Vietnam. Will his young bigyan mind survive it? War stories are painful and sad and I’m expecting a lot of drama and conflict in this novel.
Hazel Mae Bagarinao
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 148
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hazel-mae-bagarinao.html
Latest Review: The Sound of Creation by Gabriella Zielke

Post by Hazel Mae Bagarinao »

I'd like to know how Tally and Zach survived their love through the hardships of life; being a sailor and joining the aftermath. The book sounds exciting to readers who love history and action books. Since, this is not my genre, I'll pass. But your review is great. Congratulations on BOTD!
Kirsten Schuder
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Winning the War on Cancer
Bookshelf Size: 3

Post by Kirsten Schuder »

This book helps appreciate the struggle many vets go through in having the government support them. How dare the government drops them on their heads after poisoning them with Agent Orange! Things like this make me mad, and I often feel mad that not only that it happened, but that I cannot do much about it. I might read this. I was just a girl when this was going on, so it's a piece of my history.
Maduabuchi Okwiya N Eze
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 494
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maduabuchi-eze.html
Latest Review: EXXXXCUUUUUSE ME? A Satire on Publishing by Richard Stephenson

Post by Maduabuchi Okwiya N Eze »

The plight of Zachariah and his colleagues, on a global wide-scale analysis, just shows how futile war is. It shows that the powers that be often start wars to satisfy their ego and have little or no measures in place to oversee the welfare of their soldiers. This book is a call to reexamine the essence of wars as well as the associated short and long term implications.

Return to “Historical Fiction”